Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

The following quote from the OP's link definitely stood out for me:

"Providing people with accurate information doesn’t seem to help; they simply discount it."

I don't know how many times I have given an opinion or provided information backed up with government statistics or a scholarly article that was the result of research only to be told, in effect, that I was wrong because it did not fall in line with that person's religion or personal belief system or his personal experience. (For example, he "knows" that the Welsh are the world's trashiest people because his neighbor is Welsh and his yard is always full of junk -- that is a fictional example, btw!!)

I confess that I become irritated and frustrated when confronted with such arguments, but I have learned to shrug such opinions off, for the most part. Some people just refuse to be educated, and there is nothing I can do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
But that’s due to a primarily emotional association that person made with identifying with that party earlier in life.
And exactly what makes you so special?

"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

~David Hume

Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

"Providing people with accurate information doesn’t seem to help; they simply discount it."

I don't know how many times I have given an opinion or provided information backed up with government statistics or a scholarly article that was the result of research only to be told, in effect, that I was wrong because it did not fall in line with that person's religion or personal belief system or his personal experience. (For example, he "knows" that the Welsh are the world's trashiest people because his neighbor is Welsh and his yard is always full of junk -- that is a fictional example, btw!!)

I confess that I become irritated and frustrated when confronted with such arguments, but I have learned to shrug such opinions off, for the most part. Some people just refuse to be educated, and there is nothing I can do about that.
Absolutely. Especially when they ASK for the information. And then you support it with a link that THEY will view as credible. And they still argue that the facts don't exist or are somehow 'wrong.'

I had someone tell me that the link I provided gave their computer a virus warning. Um, the link was directly to the website of an organization that they supported! So I was giving them a credible link to a credible organization, and they were still lying about it.

Unbelievable.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:40 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And exactly what makes you so special?
I always try to reexamine the source of unconscious motivations that most people let control them without a second thought.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:

Great post. It reminds me of an excellent book that I have mentioned on this forum: The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt.

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Min...s%2C179&sr=8-1

Some people judge issues based on how they feel or how their behavior will be viewed by others (virtue signalers definitely do this) and ignore/care very little for the facts and logic that would explain why their positions are flawed.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Essentially what this is saying is that the instinct to joint the tribe and to protect the tribe easily overwhelms critical thinking and rational reasoning.

The Internet that was vaunted at being the great innovation that would somehow bring us all together and provide a vast resource for knowledge and facts has actually done the opposite. It will be our downfall.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:04 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:

I agree. It seems pointless often times to even bother with debate. I struggle with this constantly and, for myself, have therefore become almost rigidly adherent to believing only those phenomena which have been proven, with best available technology, by hard experimental science. I’ve therefore become a “denier” to many claims which fall outside the realm of experimental science. I’m often viewed not as a skeptic but as a woefully ignorant, or even stupid, cynic by those who “know” better.

I highlighted the one word you put in quotes because I understand what you mean. Most people cannot separate knowledge from belief, even if they understand the difference. It is a HUGE problem and contributes to the behaviors described in the article.

Last edited by LesLucid; 04-16-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies