Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Sexual slavery is a despicable practice. Unfortunately, it still exists today, probably even in places within the US.

But it's not a government sanctioned practice that was openly accepted in society like slavery in the 1700s to mid 1800s was. Many immigrant groups suffered discrimination when they arrived in America. But only the Africans were slaves, with no control over their own destiny or even their own families. The experiences were not comparable.

Please! When the Chinese came over, it was mostly the menfolk and they left their families behind in China. So they had no family with them either. And it's not as if the Chinese were welcomed to rent out the nice apartments in San Francisco. The Chinese took whatever work they could... for decades.

So will the blacks ever let got of this slavery badge? 500 years from now, will the black community still be complaining about how they were brought over? Again, this only holds back the AA community. And it's not as if it's ever going to happen again in the US. And the majority of us didn't come over on the Mayflower, so you are in good company in terms of not having arrived on that elite ship.

Anyway, when I look at a black person, I honestly don't ever think to myself... oh there goes a person whose ancestors were slaves. And if I don't pity you, it's only because I don't think that you need pity or special treatment... because I see blacks as perfectly capable human beings, not handicapped people. And when I think of truly handicapped people in wheelchairs and ones with terminal illnesses like Muscular Dystrophy or cancer, I think how sad it is that AA are so caught up in their black angst and not being happy for what they have. What a waste of many perfectly good lives, all crippled by their self imposed mental condition...

Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,263,716 times
How many people do you know who are alive TODAY who were slaves? I'm guessing NONE! The blacks should get over it.

My point was made when the Jews were mentioned. There are still Holocaust survivors who are living and have made the DECISION to live their lives and make change in our world.

I am friends with a gentleman who is a Lithuanian Jew, lived in a potato hole for 8 months as a child trying to stay alive, watched his 2 year old sister die while being used as target practice, lived to tell about it and rejoices every day that he is alive.

Being happy and productive in life is a choice. Being a professional victim is a choice too.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Something else to think about... there are still child slaves that live in misery every day. Why don't the maligners take their energy and resources and try to help them instead of harping on the things that cannot be changed?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM

877 posts, read 2,769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
I think a lot of people have an INCORRECT PERSPECTIVE ON SLAVERY.

First some black tribes sell captured blacks to people from the New World on ships. Then these people arrive in the New World. Let's focus on America. So here we have slaves, for which you must pay some serious cash for. Keep in mind that only about 1% of Americans even had slaves.

Now I ask you, if you paid serious cash for someone to help your grow your crops are you really going to treat that person like cra#p? Heck no!

It appears to me that everybody envisions slavery (because of Roots) as a bunch of people being dragged through the mud endlessly whipped. How much of that really was based on reality and how much was to "dramatize/tear jerk" the audience?

Really, you're going to pay some serious cash, with your crops (food) at risk of going bad and treat your help like dogs? I don't think so.

You can bet the vast majority of slaves were well fed and had free medical care!

You can also bet that many slaves who got to work in those rich homes enjoyed the advantages that came with that too. Would you really treat your black nanny like "cra#" if she's cooking for you and taking care of your kids? Absolutely not.

Actually, many slaves probably had a far better existence than the average white person back then. The slaves were fed. They had work, they didn't really risk unemployment. The average white person, if they were starving had no one to help. If they lost their job they had to travel like nomads from town to town begging for work.

Those pioneer women probably would have loved to have worked in those beautiful rich mansions too. But ... slave women who were loved, well fed and cared for got the job and really didn't have to worry about unemployment.

What about health care?

The average slave got free medical care! You pay serious dough for help, and your livelihood depends on his health - don't you think you're going to call doc to see if your help can get better?

Look at the average pioneer white person. If they got sick, then tough luck, they're going to die and many did because they couldn't afford medical care.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Sure, slavery should have never happened and sure there were some terrible slave owners who deserved to be shot. If I could push an "EASY BUTTON" to make it never have happened, I'd push it now! But 600,000 white souls paid the price for slavery. England used military power to stop the slave trade. Where's the thanks?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

People forget their history or maybe they don't teach it in school nowadays but the vast majority of early Europeans coming over were essentially slaves too! It's American history 101. Look at the Irish, many of them as soon as they were off the ship were pressured into being canon fodder. No thanks, I'd rather pick crops and have long term employment then fight in somebody else's war then come home without a leg and be crippled for the rest of your life without any decent work.
I guess the Blacks that were slaves should have written a journal detailing all the wonders that they experienced and the joy that they had in being slaves. Oh I forgot, some former slaves did write about their experience and it did not seem like they shared this thought of entitlement and riches. Sure slaves did cost money, but ummmm. those slaves begat slaves who begat slaves so the cost wasn't nearly as much as it appeared. Ohhhh, free healthcare. Yes I can just see the doctor making his rounds and dispensing all of this free care onto the slaves to make sure that they still strong and healthy. Oh yes, dear....you're pregnant, well go on and work those fields till that baby drops. You're in labor dear, well come on, squat, let it out and go back to working those fields dear.

Yes, the joys of the food that was being past around to the slaves. Such culinary delights that I am sure all of the white people were dying to eat at that time... Pigs Feet, Pig Ears, Chitlin's, Ox Tails....yum, yum. Oh I forgot, these are the things that were being thrown away because they were not fit to sit on the table of the slave owners. So I guess I must say thank you for giving me your garbage.

Oh the joys of being a slave. I have no idea why it ever ended since according to whomever wrote the description above, it was such a joyful, blissful and wonderful experience and we should just be happy that we were given the great opportunity to be slaves.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
[/b]Please! When the Chinese came over, it was mostly the menfolk and they left their families behind in China. So they had no family with them either. And it's not as if the Chinese were welcomed to rent out the nice apartments in San Francisco. The Chinese took whatever work they could... for decades.

So will the blacks ever let got of this slavery badge? 500 years from now, will the black community still be complaining about how they were brought over? Again, this only holds back the AA community. And it's not as if it's ever going to happen again in the US. And the majority of us didn't come over on the Mayflower, so you are in good company in terms of not having arrived on that elite ship.

Anyway, when I look at a black person, I honestly don't ever think to myself... oh there goes a person whose ancestors were slaves. And if I don't pity you, it's only because I don't think that you need pity or special treatment... because I see blacks as perfectly capable human beings, not handicapped people. And when I think of truly handicapped people in wheelchairs and ones with terminal illnesses like Muscular Dystrophy or cancer, I think how sad it is that AA are so caught up in their black angst and not being happy for what they have. What a waste of many perfectly good lives, all crippled by their self imposed mental condition...
Who once again has asked you for any pity? By the way this genuinely is an issue between whites and blacks, and you fit neither one of those racial groups-so your comments are null and void, and might I add very one-sided.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,186,563 times
Quote:
My point was made when the Jews were mentioned. There are still Holocaust survivors who are living and have made the DECISION to live their lives and make change in our world.

I am friends with a gentleman who is a Lithuanian Jew, lived in a potato hole for 8 months as a child trying to stay alive, watched his 2 year old sister die while being used as target practice, lived to tell about it and rejoices every day that he is alive.

Being happy and productive in life is a choice. Being a professional victim is a choice too.
Mrs. Stewart,

Many Jews are still affected by what happened during the Holocaust.

Another Palestinian Candidate and a Powerful Jewish View of the Holocaust

There are many Black Americans who have also made the decision to live their lives and change their world and remembering what happened in the past motivates many to seek to make a positive change. Why should we forget what is a part of our history? Many Holocaust survivors or those affected by what happened are still affected. God bless.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM

582 posts, read 2,040,222 times
people really need to grow up and move on in life and make the best of it.If someone don't like you because of your race,why sweat it?there are plenty of good people out there.I am a minority and my philosophy is racist people are no different than someone that don't like you.What do i do with people i don't like or don't like me?Just stay away and don't let it bother you,there are plenty of people that will accept you for who you are.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Who once again has asked you for any pity? By the way this genuinely is an issue between whites and blacks, and you fit neither one of those racial groups-so your comments are null and void, and might I add very one-sided.
Why is this just between whites and blacks? We live in a multiracial country, Americans come in all races, and all have a right to speak.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,186,563 times
Quote:
Something else to think about... there are still child slaves that live in misery every day. Why don't the maligners take their energy and resources and try to help them instead of harping on the things that cannot be changed?
I agree that we should seek to help others who live in misery everyday and I am also concerned about the black child who continues to see himself or herself as bad and ugly because of his or her color. This not only has an effect on the child, but it also has a affect on the black community and American society at large. Slavery is over but the fruits of the oppression associated with it are not, evidently. God bless.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:50 AM

I never said the Jews do not suffer from residual effects of the Holocaust but it seems, as a whole, they understand the need to get to a point where they are not driven by their anger and self pity. There is no way to move forward if feelings from 200 years ago are driving the forces.

How does anyone suggest the past be changed? It can't, so we need to figure out how to go forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies