Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,915,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Nobody cares what these children with keyboards have to say any more.
7.7 billion people in the world and no shortage of them use social media to express their opinions. In doing so, their opinions become news.

The CGT trade Union in France seems to be the most vocal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,285,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Here’s the difference those who think that if the billionaires gave that money to the poor we could get rid of poverty don’t get - if you donate a $100 million to rebuild Notre Dame once they use the money to fix it, it’s fixed, but if you donate the same amount “to help the poor” once the money is used to feed them or whatnot, as soon as the money is spent they will need as much or more to fix it again in a very short time. One can be fixed by money and you will see a tangible outcome, the other will merely be patched by money and it will be difficult to see how the money made an actual difference.
Precisely.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM

10,066 posts, read 5,781,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
7.7 billion people in the world and no shortage of them use social media to express their opinions. In doing so, their opinions become news.

The CGT trade Union in France seems to be the most vocal.
Why? When did social media become the assignment editor for the press?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,193,043 times
I would find it very ironic if the folks coughing up the money were also the part of the crew who makes their fortunes by destroying natural resources and natures beauty such as ocean and river pollution, blowing off mountain tops and drilling in the arctic. What a kicker that would be.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM

39,946 posts, read 26,662,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I feel like you didn't read the article.
I did. "Children with keyboards" pretty well sums up the sentiment. If you don't like how "the rich" choose to spend money-earn your own and spend it on the causes you feel strongly about. Pretty simple concept. one person's faux outrage or faux concern has no bearing on how another person spends the fruits of their labor.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM

78,962 posts, read 61,137,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The free press is reporting on the backlash from the CGT trade union in France, social media and a few European celebrities.

Do you prefer a censored press that only reports unicorns and rainbows?
Nah, I like a free press so when I go to bed like last night and check the CNN app on my phone the first dozen (not exaggerating) items were related to the Mueller report.

Our press is corporate, it's only as free as consumer demand dictates.

If it's not a big ratings boost, we're not getting told those stories.

So, let that sink in as to what we are beaten over the head with and what we never hear about and how that shapes our perceptions and thus demand for future consumption?

P.S. This is directed at all of the US news sources left\right\center.

P.S.S. Stark reminder yesterday when CNN ran the story about the white supremacist that killed a black guy.....and the racially motivated black serial killer than killed 5 older white guys in Kansas City? Well I'm sure you heard all about it? What no? lol.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:55 AM

27,772 posts, read 16,285,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nah, I like a free press so when I go to bed like last night and check the CNN app on my phone the first dozen (not exaggerating) items were related to the Mueller report.

Our press is corporate, it's only as free as consumer demand dictates.

If it's not a big ratings boost, we're not getting told those stories.

So, let that sink in as to what we are beaten over the head with and what we never hear about and how that shapes our perceptions and thus demand for future consumption?

P.S. This is directed at all of the US news sources left\right\center.

P.S.S. Stark reminder yesterday when CNN ran the story about the white supremacist that killed a black guy.....and the racially motivated black serial killer than killed 5 older white guys in Kansas City? Well I'm sure you heard all about it? What no? lol.
Thanks for sweeping up the light work.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM

27,545 posts, read 13,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Nobody cares what these children with keyboards have to say any more.

Totally agree - far to much attention is given to what a few idiots write on twitter.

As for white priveledge, it's a load of nonsense and the money spent on Notre Dame is not a significant amount when compared to most contries annual foreign aid budgets. Indeed Europe and the US collectively give away around $120 Billion of tax payers mondey in Foreign Aid each year.

Foreign Aid - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-19-2019 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM

409 posts, read 877,793 times
The three people who pledged 100 million are French. The Notre Dame is an iconic French building. So...?

Both sides have a point. If they have that kind of money to throw around, why not throw some of it at the poor, homeless etc? On the other hand its their money, its their choice what to spend it on. And there would have been an outcry if they sat on their hands and did nothing to help rebuild that building. People are going to complain no matter what, although I did not see this backlash coming. Hopefully we will get to a point where we just stop reacting to those complains.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 AM

27,545 posts, read 13,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
The three people who pledged 100 million are French. The Notre Dame is an iconic French building. So...?

Both sides have a point. If they have that kind of money to throw around, why not throw some of it at the poor, homeless etc? On the other hand its their money, its their choice what to spend it on. And there would have been an outcry if they sat on their hands and did nothing to help rebuild that building. People are going to complain no matter what, although I did not see this backlash coming. Hopefully we will get to a point where we just stop reacting to those complains.
The British tax payer is going to pay a similar amount in relation to refurbishing the Houses of Parliament.

Initial costs are around £3.5 Billion (around $5 Billion) and it's thought Notre Dame's restoration may cost a similar figure.

MPs set to leave Houses of Parliament for £3.5bn restoration | The Guardian

Buckingham Palace is also being refurbished, and all electricals are being replaced.

Buckingham Palace to get £369m refurbishment - BBC News

The Elizabeth Tower (Clock Tower) and bell 'Big Ben' has just has £60 million spent on it, and has also been repainted in it's original prussian blue colour, this marks the first phase of the £3.5 Billion refurbishmewnt of the Palace of Westminster (Parliament) in London.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-19-2019 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies