Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 14,204 times

Advertisements

I'm really now sure how accurate the first sentence of the article is. In fact many Chinese that I've spoke to in America are simply proud of association to the Chinese culture, after all they are a pretty proud group with a 5,000 year history and to them they been pretty oppressed in last couple of centuries. This is more less a cultural coming of age for them, but the people that I've spoke to in no way support the political system in china, in fact many are in America directly due to china's oppressive political system and are very anti-communist. The exchange students and international students are in support of the PRC but that make sense they are neither permanent residents or citizens of the US.

I would think this would be similar to the folks that support the troops in Iraq but don't believe in the war itself.

The Olympic torch passes through San Francisco, and Chinese-Americans turn out en masse in support of Chinese brutality and the cultural genocide being committed methodically against the Tibetan people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Tom Ashbrook of NPR's On Point radio show is broadcasting all this week from Shanghai. Very interesting interviews. And of course, there are discussions about the Olympics and Tibet. Also that the native Chinese that Tom has talked to, none are even aware of that historic (to us) 1989 protests at Tiananmen Square. And information on those protests are blocked on their internet and their press is barred from writing about it. So the Chinese government has successfully censored those events from their citizens.

Anyway, about the Olympics and Tibet, what's interesting is that of the people that have called into the radio show, the first gen Chinese expats are more supportive than the later gen expats that are more Westernized like me. The more Westernized the Chinese person is, the more outraged they are about what's going on with Tibet and the less supportive they are about China hosting the Olympics.

Just because my ancestors are from China, doesn't mean I will blindly support whatever they do. Blood is not thicker than water in this case. And I suppose that as a Chinese woman, I feel even less loyalty to China since historically they have treated their women as second class citizens.

WBUR & NPR: On Point with Tom Ashbrook

Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Why did you even bring the U.S. into this? Whether or not America is the "evil empire" you think it is, it has no bearing on whether China is in the right or not. Or if China should host the Olympics. You strike me as the type that will use every opportunity to bash America.
You are of course wrong. A country that is involved in war crimes, does not have the right to lecture another country about human rights issues. As I said earlier, China is--without a doubt--guilty of human rights violations, but the US is in no position to act as some kind of moral authority.

And I am not bashing the US, I am simply pointing out its hypocrisy, it's too bad that bothers you.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
You are of course wrong. A country that is involved in war crimes, does not have the right to lecture another country about human rights issues. As I said earlier, China is--without a doubt--guilty of human rights violations, but the US is in no position to act as some kind of moral authority.

And I am not bashing the US, I am simply pointing out its hypocrisy, it's too bad that bothers you.
There are definately more significant hipocrisies in recent US history. For example the deposition of a dictator to install a democracy, even though during the cold war we over threw many democracies to install dictatorships sympathetic to capitalism.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Nietzschean Gangsta.....

I never stated that I condone any brutality from the USA. If you have ever come across any of my other posts, you would clearly see that I am emphatically opposed to the crime family that is running this country and disgusted at what has been going on around the world in our name. This China/Tibet outrage is another subject that grabs my attention and concern and I chose to put it out there to get some feedback...if that is alright with you of course.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-14-2008 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 PM

523 posts, read 1,282,870 times
Quote:
China has as much a right to host the Olympics as the US does.

The OP is simply a stunning example of American arrogance and hypocrisy. Here is a country guilty of WAR CRIMES with a WAR CRIMINAL as President that dares lecture the world about respect for human rights. Without a doubt China is guilty of incredible human rights abuses, but the US is in no position to act as the moral authority here.

You've obviously never watched the end of the South Park "Bin Laden" episode.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,047,515 times
Well let's keep in mind that half the Chinese here are spies.

chinese spying - Google Search

Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
IMHO i love my country i could not post this in china. however i am concerned about our attitude here re punishment. considering the american public is vehemently opposed to the very concept of punishment it is not surprising that they would find intolerable any asian judicial system. fyi we used to be like them. in my own lifetime it changed 180. we are the good guys right? why doesn't it feel that way?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times
What war crimes?

Quote:

Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Enforcing the law. Why don't we try it?

Tammy Bruce: China Organizes Protest in America (http://tammybruce.com/2008/04/china_organizes_prot.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies