Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:35 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Because historically a minimum wage worker absolutely could afford a 1 bedroom apartment. I am shocked that you believe they shouldn't have it like it's some kind of amazing luxury just to have a roof over your head. Are we all supposed to cram in with relatives and friends and strangers just so fatcats can put more dime in their pockets?

Minimum wage has not been rising as it should over the decades, anyway. This is also because of greed. But you know we bailed out banks and have corporate welfare, tax cuts, loopholes and tax havens for the rich to just protect their money, not have to pay their fair share of taxes and gain more in their sleep than an average working person can see in a lifetime.

And you want to deny these people a modest little 1 bedroom apartment which amounts to about 600 square stinkin' feet to live in? You don't think they deserve that if they're working full time?

And no job is unskilled. Every job takes some kind of skill. If you had absolutely no skills you would not be employable.

Maybe get down off that high horse so you can see more clearly.
I never could, and I was renting in the 80's when everything was awesome. I always had a roommate or a spouse and I was not a minimum wage worker. Of course I wasn't living in the middle of nowhere either, maybe that makes a difference. I'll never stand behind the idea that any and all minimum wage workers "deserve" or should expect to afford their own individual 1 bedroom apartment .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://www.harris.senate.gov/imo/me...82191.7.19.pdf

https://qz.com/1344000/kamala-harris...t-a-good-idea/

Balancing the Burden: Proposing a FAIR Tax Credit for Renters Facing Affordability Challenges | Terner Center

Seems like it would be much, much more than 76 billion dollars a year.

The estimate is way, way, way too low. This will likely be the most expensive tax credit program in the history of America.

Unmarried couples especially will take advantage of it with one paying and claiming 100% of their income was spent on housing while an unmarried housemate who files seperate pays for everything else.

75% or more of housing costs for those an excess 30% of gross income over the course of a year would be refunded via a tax credit. Even those up to $75,000 would be able to get a credit of 50% of any housing costs above 30% of their income.

This is a California giveaway, California will benefit more than states like North Dakota or Iowa where it's much more unusual for those to pay 30% of their income in rent.

Many unmarried people will pay 100% of their income in rent while they have a live in partner unmarried who pays for every thing else but doesn't claim to be a resident.

In many parts of middle-America people pay a very small percentage of their income for rent on average.

People of limited means, who own and occupy small, low-value homes, would be cheated by this measure. They not only had to sink their assets into the purchase of their properties, but also have to pay for property taxes, homeowner's insurance and all maintenance and special assessment costs. Renters have to pay for none of those things, but they would get huge subsidies.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:40 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
“Everything for everyone when I’m elected”
Let me fix that for you....

Everything for everyone... until I am elected.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
"Rent Relief Act." AKA The Robin Hood Act. It relieves the financial burden of someone else's rent--by picking our pockets.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
“Everything for everyone when I’m elected”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Let me fix that for you....

Everything for everyone... until I am elected.

And after his election, everything for him.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
The rent is too damn high. Sen Harris is plumbing the depths, is she not?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Because historically a minimum wage worker absolutely could afford a 1 bedroom apartment. I am shocked that you believe they shouldn't have it like it's some kind of amazing luxury just to have a roof over your head. Are we all supposed to cram in with relatives and friends and strangers just so fatcats can put more dime in their pockets?

Minimum wage has not been rising as it should over the decades, anyway. This is also because of greed. But you know we bailed out banks and have corporate welfare, tax cuts, loopholes and tax havens for the rich to just protect their money, not have to pay their fair share of taxes and gain more in their sleep than an average working person can see in a lifetime.

And you want to deny these people a modest little 1 bedroom apartment which amounts to about 600 square stinkin' feet to live in? You don't think they deserve that if they're working full time?

And no job is unskilled. Every job takes some kind of skill. If you had absolutely no skills you would not be employable.

No, they couldn’t. When I was the minimum wage earner decades upon decades ago if you earned minimum wage you either lived in a rooming house, rented a room, lived with roommates, or lived with a relative. When I first got married all my husband and I, who were both working and not living in a high cost area, could afford was a tiny studio in the iffy part of town. It sure as crap wasn’t 600 square feet, back then the average house size (not apartment) was less than 1000 square feet, and that was what whole families lived in, not a couple like us earning minimum wage. People used to be able to live on lower wages in part because they used to have far lower expectations.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, they couldn’t. When I was the minimum wage earner decades upon decades ago if you earned minimum wage you either lived in a rooming house, rented a room, lived with roommates, or lived with a relative.
Yes, it's just more Democrat lies.

Best we could ever do back in the 70's was have 2 other room mates or maybe rent a room. No way could I ever afford a small Studio apartment plus expenses even in low COL Texas on MW even back then. Twenty plus years later in the late 90's my kids could not either.

MW is just a starter base wage and never meant to support anyone. I remember working all summer just to pay my car Insurance when I started driving.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:09 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:

What do you mean that I "want to deny people a modest 1 bedroom apartment?" And I need to "get off my high horse"?

1) When I graduated from college 35 years ago, I could NOT afford a 1-bedroom apartment on the entry-level salary in my field. My friends were all in the same boat. We either doubled up to share a rental, or lived in a single room studio in a cheap building in a marginal section of town. If it was good enough for a college graduate, it's good enough for a minimum wage worker with no skills or education.

2) Where is all this money going to come from? I read the bill Harris is proposing, and it outlined clearly how people up to $100,000 (!!) will get rent subsidies, but not a word about how to pay for it.

3) You sound like the typical liberal that drives me crazy: just focused on give, give, give, and anytime someone responsible (I have a budget and weigh carefully anything I spend) brings up how its unaffordable and people are not ENTITLED to other people's money, you start in with the insults.

4) Yes, some jobs ARE unskilled. Ringing up a few buttons, collecting money, and giving change at McDonald's is an unskilled job - which I classify as a job for which I had the skills as a 7th grader. People who hold jobs that require no more than an elementary school education can get a roommate.

Last edited by Rachel976; 05-05-2019 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 05:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I love the everyone is a victim mentality that Ms Harris promotes. I do believe anyone who is working full time deserves to find a safe, clean place to live if that means a studio with cinder block walls so be it. As so many stated evoked "college grad" that only means that they have the potential to be higher earners. So many have obtained degrees that will require 20 years till the position is created or the one person passes away, you really need to come out with marketable skills that have real jobs available.

McD's is an unskilled job but for those with a desire there is a path to more substantial career if they want, how many people should consider relocating if no jobs exist where their at. Of course we have younger generations now that believe they should be buying a home 1 year out of school and "they deserve" whatever type of life, let them earn it the way the rest of us did not give them a handout...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies