Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 11:22 AM

6,270 posts, read 3,425,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Guns used to be in schools. Talk to anyone in their 70s to as young as their mid 40s.
I am in my 70s and I don't know that. But I never saw one teacher with a gun during school hours.

Quote:
Some schools even had competitive shooting teams. Some even allowed the kids to bring their rifle or shotgun to school to go hunting at a friend's house.
School still have gun clubs and school trap shooting teams (one of the students won an Olympic gold in trap shooting), my grandson was a member of school trap shooting team until he graduated two years ago. I grew up in a very rural area that was big on hunting and I never saw anyone bringing a gun of any kind to school.

Sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM

6,270 posts, read 3,425,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You didn’t know that Clinton made military bases gun free zones as well and still exists today? On base, only military police can carry guns.

I have a question for all of you that say voluntary concealed carry wouldn’t deter these shooters. If you truly believe that they are so insane and determined, this won’t deter them, why do these killers consistently pick gun free zones such as churches and schools?

Very good point

Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,365,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We haven’t passed meaningful gun legislation at the federal level in decades.
You think another gun law is going make insane suicidal wackos hell bent on killing people take pause?

Hahahaha hehehehe

You guys are funny AF!

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They aren't looking for a "fight". They are looking to cause destruction. A trunk full of fertilizer will do that.
Thanks for proving my point. They're not looking for fights at all. Just to harm/kill as many as possible before police arrive...

Old 04-30-2019, 12:10 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. They're not looking for fights at all. Just to harm/kill as many as possible before police arrive...
And made so much easier in a gun free zone.

Some of these arguments anti-gun folks use are illogical. Them: nothing would stop these killers so allowing teachers to arm themselves is ineffective because they’ll just use other means. Also them: we should maintain schools as gun free zones and go after guns because that will stop them. See? All emotion, zero logic.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
And made so much easier in a gun free zone.

Some of these arguments anti-gun folks use are illogical. Them: nothing would stop these killers so allowing teachers to arm themselves is ineffective because they’ll just use other means. Also them: we should maintain schools as gun free zones and go after guns because that will stop them. See? All emotion, zero logic.
I'm not anti-gun. Are you willing to pay more in taxes to train, arm and re-certify teachers? Asking them to be both a teacher and security is also more responsibility and more pay.

Will you pay higher taxes to cover this?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not anti-gun. Are you willing to pay more in taxes to train, arm and re-certify teachers? Asking them to be both a teacher and security is also more responsibility and more pay.

Will you pay higher taxes to cover this?
Why would you need higher taxes to allow teachers to voluntarily conceal carry? But yes, our state did just that to put in armed officers in each school. I’m good with that.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Why would you need higher taxes to allow teachers to voluntarily conceal carry? But yes, our state did just that to put in armed officers in each school. I’m good with that.
I stated why. If you are OK with funding it, great. Seems many are not. I'm fine with anyone that wants to carry (even though I do not see the need myself, that is irrelevant). Realities are this will require added costs to the system. We no longer live in nor are we going back to the wild west.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
"Sane Killer"

LOL

Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,130,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a would-be killer had fore-knowledge that a certain school employed armed teachers, he would have the sense to avoid that school because he'd never know which teachers were armed and would shoot him dead.

After all everyone knows that school shooters are afraid to die.
Do you think, for even a millisecond, that a SANE man would shoot up a school? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies