Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:02 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times

Advertisements

A sincere, heartfelt thank you to all the leftist losers who shoveled everyone off to college. It's never been easier to find a job in the trades. We're talking $20-$60/hr jobs with some experience. Around here, they are having an incredibly hard time finding toolmakers to work in the auto plants. These jobs are wide open for the taking. But who even knows what a toolmaker is anymore? No competition whatsoever. And the illegals don't have the smarts for these jobs. Many of them are going to college to compete with the indoctrinated leftist crowd.

So thanks again for shoveling everyone off to college and making my life even easier

But I will say, it's getting very lonely in the trades. We could use a few more good people with a brain and good work ethic if we want to MAGA. Work hard and prosper, or not. The choice is yours to make.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
False premise.

Everyone pushed a college education, conservatives and liberals alike. If you don't know this you must be young.

Full disclosure, 45 years ago I left college and went into the trades. I was too old (over 21) for an apprenticeship but the company made a partial allowance for my time in college, so I got in.

No regret, but it did affect me later when I was denied higher promotions in the corporate environment.

These days, thanks to 'liberal' legislation, age discrimination in getting an apprenticeship is no longer common. I could have conceivably finished school, then taken the apprenticeship, then later taken those higher promotions as well.

Hopefully you will not have as many doors slammed in your face as I had.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
False premise.

Everyone pushed a college education, conservatives and liberals alike. If you don't know this you must be young.

Full disclosure, 45 years ago I left college and went into the trades. I was too old (over 21) for an apprenticeship but the company made a partial allowance for my time in college, so I got in.

No regret, but it did affect me later when I was denied higher promotions in the corporate environment.

These days, thanks to 'liberal' legislation, age discrimination in getting an apprenticeship is no longer common. I could have conceivably finished school, then taken the apprenticeship, then later taken those higher promotions as well.

I'm 32. I've never had doors slammed in my face. I've always left one job for a better, higher paying one. Even when I was laid off, it allowed me to find an even better position. There is plenty of opportunity in the trades for those who are hard working and committed to learning, and mastering their trade.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
The OP has an associates degree from a regular college.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
It goes both ways though. Not everyone is cut for cubicle life, and not everyone is cut for the trades. I picked something in between, a trade that originally involved a drafting board and some pencils, unfortunately it has turned into more of a life in a cubicle. I know I wouldn't not have been able to hack college and I know I wouldn't not be happy in a plant as a skilled trades person.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The OP has an associates degree from a regular college.

So? You don't need a degree to work in the trades

Old 04-29-2019, 10:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So? You don't need a degree to work in the trades
Congrats to you, many people don’t want to work in the trades.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Congrats to you, many people don’t want to work in the trades.

That's why they pay $40/hr. Work is not meant to be a picnic. Believe me, there are plenty of miserable tradesman, but they go to work for the money. They have families and bills to pay, and that is their top priority. It's the way it has always been.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:32 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
False premise.

No, not false. The push for college comes from public school teachers and guidance counselors. They’re so focused on college that they have no idea about trade schools. Not every student is cut out for trade work and not every student is cut out for university education. Too many college students take worthless majors and courses that offer NOTHING in the way of a productive career. Get a paid career and then take those worthless courses/majors you want to learn about.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We've created an entire generation of Americans who either can't handle working in the trades or they've been convinced that those sorts of jobs are beneath them. It's no wonder why liberals want more illegal immigration, someone has to do all the jobs that they can't handle themselves. Whether it was African slaves or illegal Mexicans now, democrats have always forced dark skinned people to handle their **** for them, literally and figuratively.

Democrats have always been the party of destroying human value. Whether it's through slavery, segregation, supporting illegal immigration to reduce wages for hard working Americans, their party has always represented pure evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies