Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

At a moment when the country has never seemed angrier, two political commentators from opposite sides of the divide concurred last week on one point, nearly unthinkable until recently: The country is on the verge of “civil war.”

First came former U.S. attorney Joseph diGenova, a Fox News regular and ally of President Trump. “We are in a civil war,” he said. “The suggestion that there’s ever going to be civil discourse in this country for the foreseeable future is over. . . . It’s going to be total war.”

The next day, Nicolle Wallace, a former Republican operative turned MSNBC commentator and Trump critic, played a clip of diGenova’s commentary on her show and agreed with him — although she placed the blame squarely on the president.

Trump, she said, “greenlit a war in this country around race. And if you think about the most dangerous thing he’s done, that might be it.”
Speaking to conservative pundit Laura Ingraham, diGenova summed up his best advice to friends: “I vote, and I buy guns. And that’s what you should do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...57b_story.html

We have often talked about this here in the past yet I keep wondering if we’re getting closer to a civil war.
Not just because Trumps is president, but because I personally can’t remember a time when this country was so divided. Other then the actual Civil War.

We keep telling each other that we’re in a media civil war of sorts yet the statement from Ingraham has me wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM

20,344 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Other than nutters I can't think of anyone who fears the possibility of a civil war.

Somebody started a thread in the POC forum on that possibility the other day.

I thought it comical.

ETA: Looks like the thread is gone. OP came to their senses?

Last edited by doc1; 03-01-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
With the media playing the pivotal role of the South Carolina Fire Eaters..

I call BS personally.. sure there are divisions among us but there are no clear boundaries as there were in 1861...

Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
With the media playing the pivotal role of the South Carolina Fire Eaters..

I call BS personally.. sure there are divisions among us but there are no clear boundaries as there were in 1861...
I want to agree with you here but the lines are getting harder to see. I want to believe that we would come to our senses before we went down that road.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:29 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
The country was angrier under Obama except the Media is saying the opposite. With the economy and markets doing great, low energy prices, extremely high consumer confidence etc more people are happier now. What sane person would want to end that?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
At a moment when the country has never seemed angrier, two political commentators from opposite sides of the divide concurred last week on one point, nearly unthinkable until recently: The country is on the verge of “civil war.”

First came former U.S. attorney Joseph diGenova, a Fox News regular and ally of President Trump. “We are in a civil war,” he said. “The suggestion that there’s ever going to be civil discourse in this country for the foreseeable future is over. . . . It’s going to be total war.”

The next day, Nicolle Wallace, a former Republican operative turned MSNBC commentator and Trump critic, played a clip of diGenova’s commentary on her show and agreed with him — although she placed the blame squarely on the president.

Trump, she said, “greenlit a war in this country around race. And if you think about the most dangerous thing he’s done, that might be it.”
Speaking to conservative pundit Laura Ingraham, diGenova summed up his best advice to friends: “I vote, and I buy guns. And that’s what you should do.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...57b_story.html

We have often talked about this here in the past yet I keep wondering if we’re getting closer to a civil war.
Not just because Trumps is president, but because I personally can’t remember a time when this country was so divided. Other then the actual Civil War.

We keep telling each other that we’re in a media civil war of sorts yet the statement from Ingraham has me wondering.

Growing up I was told over and over again in church that if same-sex marriage was ever legalized we'd have a civil war. Looks like it might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I really don't know how we come back from this to be honest. Our only hope is to somehow preserve our system of government and institution for another 10-20 years or so until the next generation steps into power but it's going to be a very rough road to get there.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Go visit 1968.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Go visit 1968.

2016 was that kind of year. And George Wallace was the Trump-like candidate in 1968. Thankfully he didn't win.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Civil War?

I dunno. Fire off a few round at Ft Sumter and see what happens. It's right out there where you can see it.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

Well, if TV remote controls and lazy boys and ipads were weapons, you have it right.

But they are not. So this is not even in the realm of possibilities. Much more chance a Nuke hits you on the head or a meteor or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies