Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 03:26 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
That's like having this mentality: If you don't own a gun, you should not have an opinion on guns. If you don't own property, you shouldn't be increasing property tax.
Okay, fine. If you own a body you should be able to have an opinion on what happens to that body. That pretty much is the whole argument here. So I won't tell you what you can do with your penis and you don't tell me what I can do with my uterus.

Better?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
If you don't want kids, don't have sex
How many divorces will that cause?

"Sorry honey, we can't have sex any more since we already have 3 kids and can't afford to have any more."

Old 05-17-2019, 03:30 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,569 times
Quote:
If you don't want kids, don't have sex
I think you should tell this to your wife/girlfriend or post it on your online profile. VERY sure it will increase your attractivity.

Don't want kids, don't have sex? Seriously ? I can laugh or cry at the sheer stupidity and impractability of this idea.... I'll choose to laugh

Old 05-17-2019, 03:32 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Unfortunately that's where we are right now.

I believe we all are simply going to have to prepare for theocratic rule in this country and work around it. The Christian Right has won the culture war.
I would agree that the Christian Right is seeking to establish a theocracy in our United States. In spite of what many Christian leaders say, this is an effort that is NOT supported by the Constitution. The Constitution strictly prohibits the establishment of religion, as part of the First Amendment, which also guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of the press. “Separation of Church and State” protects religious freedom for everyone and it prevents the tyranny of any one religion.

Please don't give up. It is up to every freedom-loving person, who prefers freedom of choice, freedom of worship, who cares about protecting women’s rights and equality for all, and advancing reason and scientific knowledge, to be aware of this evangelical extremism. To work against this power grab. To not be silent. To vote for candidates who understand the separation of state and church.

Using words like “righteousness” or “faith” or “Christ-given mission,” and hiding behind ideas like “tradition” and “heritage” and “family values” won’t cover up the fact that it indeed is religious extremism.

I don't think evangelicals should give up their faith, but I strongly suggest they not trample on other people’s religious beliefs, or insist that people and our nation must conform themselves with their evangelical worldview.

Some Christian Right/Evangelicals in churches and state houses, across our country, support laws and political systems that deny equal rights and protections to LGBT people and people of color, and tacitly support violence toward them. They seek to deny women the right to govern their own bodies, often with threats and slurs and now unconstitutional laws. They seem hell-bent on ejecting science from education and replacing it with their own creationist ideas.

The Christian Fundamentalists have become tyrants and increasingly reach for more and more political power to achieve their goal of "converting the country". Clearly, not all Christian evangelicals share the extreme views , but those advocating their beliefs to project religious and moral authority over everyone in our land are un-American and should not be allowed to govern with their personal religious views.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-17-2019 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Define “some form of birth control.” It’s really the fault of the abortion advocates that this is happening. For example, the lawmakers in Missouri said this was in response to extreme pro abortion policies advanced in NY and VA. Extremism begets extremism.
According to the survey 24% used condoms, 13% the pill, 9% were idiots and use withdraw, 1% used a long acting reversible contraceptive.

Out of almost 38 million women in the US using contraceptives, some will experience failure.

Which extreme policies? Allowing women with health or life threatening issues to have an abortion, or allowing abortion in the case of fetal issues? Those cases are less than 1% of all abortions.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:40 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Religious nutjobs at it again

Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Don't want kids, don't have sex? Seriously ? I can laugh or cry at the sheer stupidity and impractability of this idea.... I'll choose to laugh
Do you even know how children are conceived?

Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You are a man. What you think is an acceptable risk for a woman is irrelevant and of no concern to women.

Think what you want. We're not going back to the old days of men ruling over women and dictating what they can do with their own bodies. And no amount of posts here will make your opinion any more relevant. As a man, you have no say.
According to the left, gender is a social construct

Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Good for Alabama for standing up to the murderers I hope my state (Tennessee) gets a similar bill passed. Time to stop this barbarism in this state too. Roe vs Wade is going down
What is your state or any other state doing for the hundreds of thousands kids waiting to be adopted. Why in the world aren’t you more focused on them and finding loving homes for those already here.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
1. It's not personal when it involves another person.

2. Abortions are rarely performed for medical reasons.

3. It was government interference that legalized abortion on demand.

4. If everyone in the conversation didn't already know abortion is grossly immoral, you wouldn't have to use ridiculous euphemisms like "choice" to avoid calling it what it really is.

I'm probably going to do some grocery shopping today, get the car washed and maybe get the oil changed.

None of those activities are referred to as "financial events," "condition alterations" or "periodic expenditures" because they are not morally repugnant.

See how that works?
1. A fetus is not a person. And abortion was never, ever considered murder in the US. A fetus does not have personhood like a born, live human.

2. It doesn’t matter how often abortions are performed for medical reasons. Those cases alone are reason why it should be allowed, as well as it being a personal reproductive choice that impacts no other person on Earth except the father. But far more than the father, the mother is impacted by pregnancy, birth, and in many cases, raising a child. It’s not your business.

3. Abortion was legal in the US until it was made illegal. Governments interfered to make it illegal first. The AL law for one is more extreme than abortion laws that existed at common law (fine before “quickening” - first feeling the fetus move which iirc is usually around 16-20 weeks... second trimester). This is regression.

4. Abortion is not immoral, it has been around since the beginning of humanity. The sudden religious extreme aversion to it is rather new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies