Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:01 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Not an 'accident,' not manslaughter, but straight up murder.

I'm pretty sure kids that age and younger have been shooting and killing each other for ages, but notable is the fact that it appears to have happened in a seemingly normal and average family and not in the inner city.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/12-year-ch...ry?id=62833856

Quote:
A 10-year-old Texas boy was shot to death after his 12-year-old sibling allegedly got access to a gun and shot the child in the chest, authorities said on Sunday.

The fatal shooting occurred on Saturday afternoon at a rural property in Conroe, about 50 miles south of Houston, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I'm pretty sure kids that age and younger have been shooting and killing each other for ages, but notable is the fact that it appears to have happened in a seemingly normal and average family and not in the inner city.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
That is sometimes the price to pay for allowing young kids to have access to guns. Somehow the kid got the gun.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:

12 year-old children are not developmentally able to fully understand the finality of death. Murder is not the appropriate charge.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
12 year-old children are not developmentally able to fully understand the finality of death. Murder is not the appropriate charge.
I respectfully disagree. While most 12-year-olds don't understand, there are some who do and simply don't care. I don't know that this case is an example of such, but sociopathy can occur at a young age.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Sounds like a bad seed who would have stabbed his brother if he didn't have a gun. If someone wants to murder someone they will find a way to do it.

Still, the parents should have kept the guns locked up or at the very least hid the ammunition

Old 05-05-2019, 05:56 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
I honestly don't know how we properly approach this. On the one hand, there are some kids that age that have not truly developed a concept of right from wrong. On the other hand, there are those that do know right from wrong but are indifferent. If the kid was at least 3 years older, charging him with murder, I think charging him as an adult would be easier. I do agree with some sort of criminal charge for the 12-year-old but not sure what or which charges. Now, whether or not we can pin any legit blame on the parents/guardians is another thread.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I respectfully disagree. While most 12-year-olds don't understand, there are some who do and simply don't care. I don't know that this case is an example of such, but sociopathy can occur at a young age.
Yes,
I knew a young man who strangled rabbits at age 3 and also crushed a baby bird with his bare hands. He was paralyzed in a car wreck at 14, or who knows how many he would have killed. He had already been arrested for numerous crimes including arson of the prosecutor's house.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,987,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Funny, I understood the concept of death, and death as bad/permanent, and death as something you don't cause another person or thing, by that age and younger.

If he understood how bad it was, it's frightening that he's already that callous at that age and society should be protected from him. If he didn't understand how bad it was, then he is in no shape to be left unattended and society should be protected from him (at least until he *is* some modicum of aware, if that is possible).

Old 05-06-2019, 07:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:

So according to you people who live in inner cities (i.e. black people) are not "normal" people.... Interesting insight you shared there.

I bet that those "normal" white families have more children killing other children due to them not keeping their firearms secured properly. Usually this is the same reason why it happens to black children in their normal/average families and those normal/average families in inner cities are not "different" from the white suburban families.

Very telling comment though on your personal prejudices and biases and views on normality in regards to people and where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies