Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
...then how come the USA became a superpower when it was considerably less English-Scottish than it was while it was more English-Scottish?
Independent variables.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
the base of the legal system still remains English Common Law.
Not if Joe Biden has anything to say about it. He gonna stamp out English jurisprudence.

'Cause "it's a white man's culture and it's gotta change!"

Old 05-07-2019, 08:53 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do you like your neighborhood Mexican restaurant? Those Mexicans should probably keep all that native culture at home, right?

What?

You mean like the native Americans who lived here before Europeans colonized the country? That kind of respect?

I have no problem with ethnic restaurants in our country. They can be avoided if one feels that strongly about it. That's not the same thing as being out in mainstream America and feeling like one is living in a foreign country. It can't be avoided.

A native American is anyone who was born here to citizen or legal immigrants parents There are no special natives beyond that. All of our distant ancestors migrated here from somewhere else including those who came across the Bering Strait. Immigration = not being native.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
and yes, my parents were Catholic to and hated....
And yet you still don't get it. Priceless.

Quote:
and you will have this on-going until the day of your great grand children's death....the American Culture still exists....
If American culture is going to persist despite influxes of immigrants from various corners of the world, then what's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Were they also good English speakers? Some immigrants never learned decent English even if they arrived at a young age. Some current American borns either don't speak English or have a foreign accent.
My grandmothers were both born in the U.S. Yet they spoke their parents' languages fluently, and in public. I wish I would have paid more attention, and learned their languages from them. Actually, that's what I'm ashamed of - that I didn't value those cultures and languages until much later in my life.

My maternal grandfather was born overseas and immigrated to the U.S. when he was 18. He died when I was young, but I remember him speaking with a heavy accent and according to my mom his English wasn't the greatest. I'm not sure he ever gained U.S. citizenship - I'll have to ask my mom about that. If he did, it was much later in his life because one family story goes that, on a trip to Buffalo to visit his brother in the 1950s, he could not enter Canada at Niagara Falls because of his non-U.S. citizenship.

According to some folks here (not you, tamajane!), I should be embarrassed or ashamed of him. Hogwash.

Quote:
Sometimes cultures clash and in such cases the newcomer should respect the existing culture.
I don't disagree with that; I'm also of the mind that English should be declared the official language of the United States. But ... I have no problem with Mexican, Indian, Iraqi, etc. etc. businesses or families displaying their culture, speaking their native language in public, continuing age-old traditions - and being proud of them at the same time.

Quote:
Now we even have political diversity to contend with and urban vs. suburbs vs. rural, etc. Gentrification might improve an area but also displace the residents who move on and clash with another group.
That's been going on for centuries, and isn't likely to stop. Ever.

Quote:
Forced diversity/demanding "tolerance" causes division and strife.
Forced separation and not demanding tolerance doesn't work so well, either.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
We already have multi-culturalism and it is a good thing. Our culture is an amalgam of the many ethnicities and nationalities that have come to the US. This melding of cultures makes NYC one of the most fascinating cities on earth and enriches the experience of living in our border states.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
This is a good read....

https://community.redhat.com/blog/20...-clash-part-1/

Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have no problem with ethnic restaurants in our country. They can be avoided if one feels that strongly about it. That's not the same thing as being out in mainstream America and feeling like one is living in a foreign country. It can't be avoided.

A native American is anyone who was born here to citizen or legal immigrants parents There are no special natives beyond that. All of our distant ancestors migrated here from somewhere else including those who came across the Bering Strait. Immigration = not being native.
Whoosh!

That was the sound of my post flying overhead.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
The problem comes when you have oppositional cultures to the main culture. I suggest googling “Ogbu involuntary minorities”. Many Islamic immigrants in the UK and Europe are causing much more harm than good.

I’ll say it again, we should be promoting tolerance, not diversity. Diversity without tolerance leads to conflict.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Whoosh!

That was the sound of my post flying overhead.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I addressed every single remark that you made.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The problem comes when you have oppositional cultures to the main culture. I suggest googling “Ogbu involuntary minorities”. Many Islamic immigrants in the UK and Europe are causing much more harm than good.

I’ll say it again, we should be promoting tolerance, not diversity. Diversity without tolerance leads to conflict.
totally agree...and it isn't any longer a matter of "IF" Diversity threatens the USA, but "IS"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies