Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Is the purpose of SNAP to provide life sustaining nutritious food for people? Who defines nutritious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 02:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Let me get this straight.
I ask for a handout. I buy junk food get fat and land in
the hospital with complications only to apply and get
approved for SSI disability?

Gluttony is a sin....................

Ironically those on food stamps have very high rates of obesity. The soda issue is alos about fraud, it's easily resold to corner stores.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:48 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky701 View Post
Sorry I am Not buying this one..( See Comment below) Junk food is never cheap.. chips and pop are both spendy if, you buy enough to fill you up.. I also understand that many on food stamps have jobs and its their choice what they spend their money on.. FINE just no using the food stamp card on crap.. There were and will be cheaters and abusers.. as sooon as you add humans to the ingredient you get bad actors lets just try to be helpful..

Ever been to a dollar store? Even the regular grocery has sales and store brands. Two-liter bottles of soda (pop to you ) are generally under a dollar regular price, and I've seen them as low as $.75 on sale.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Who gets to make a definition of "junk food"?

You don't define junk food, you define what is acceptable. Fresh meat, fish, vegetable, fruits etc. Anything canned or boxed you limit to vegetables, spaghetti, rice, flour etc. You also put a cost per pound limit on things, e.g. if you want beef you shouldn't be able to buy fillet Mignon unless you are getting good deal on it.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Back in the olden days, it was like that in Texas. No crap with snap. You could buy orange juice but not orange drinks. No chips, cookies, etc. Then somebody decided that poor kids need cookies and cokes, too. Then the fast food people started in with we should not deny poor people fast food.

IMO, if tax dollars are paying for the grocery bill, then the taxpayers get to decide what should be purchased. That goes for reduced and free lunches, too. If the taxpayers are picking up the tab, we get to say no junk food. No empty calories like french fries and fatty pizza.
That would be Big Corn ( sugar) and Big Grocer.

You may recall, the Obama Admin was hung out to dry for eliminating most junk food from all subsidized school lunch programs. Nothing at the Federal level prevented kids from bringing junk from home.

Michele Obama's project was to get kids moving to curb childhood obesity. That too was mocked by the Obama haters.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
That's a weird way to look at it. I see it as reaching a sensible compromise... we'll help you by paying for your food, and you help us by trying to make your life better so that hopefully you can get back on your feet again.

How on earth is that a bad thing?
I believe the USDA, not the states, determines what does or does not qualify as eligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

Big Corn and Big Grocer lobby at both the federal and state level to protect their best interests.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Of course if you do that, benifits would need to increase to cover the cost of fresh fruits, meats, and unprocessed ingredients.

Firstly the number one purchase for food stamps is soda, 5%. When you add other sugary drinks like ice tea it's 10%. Furthermore I don't know where you are shopping but I can certainly provide some very good meals far below the cost of processed meal.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This is what happens when rich people try to make laws for poor people. Poor people always figure out a way to get over. Like buying steaks and ribs with food stamps and trading them for $.70 to the $1.00 for cash. Forget about it, its already a thing to make cash out of food stamps. They are already using them for cigarette and beer money.

So what you are saying is fraud is rampant.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
another texas lawmaker tried, some years back, to at least eliminate soft drinks being purchased with food stamps. unsuccessfully.

there was a very good article on it at the time, i'll see if i can locate it.
According to the content within this link and the USDA's own information, states do not have the ability to determine what can and cannot be purchased with SNAP.

https://lowincomerelief.com/can-stat...od-stamps-law/

Old 05-08-2019, 03:17 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
They should ban luxury food items too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies