Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:31 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Some Texas residents may be forced to change their grocery lists if lawmakers pass a bill that would ban people from using food stamps to purchase junk food, including energy drinks.

Republican State Rep. Briscoe Cain said he filed the bill, titled HB 4364, in March as an effort to help combat diabetes and other health complications associated with consuming sugary drinks and snacks.
Quote:
The bill would prohibit recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) from buying energy drinks with more than 65 milligrams of caffeine per 8 fluid ounces and other sweetened and carbonated beverages.

Candy, potato and corn chips and cookies were also among the banned items listed in the bill.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...ary-drinks-ban

Let’s hope this bill passes, it’s the only real way to curb obesity among America’s underclass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Let’s hope this bill passes, it’s the only real way to curb obesity among America’s underclass
About time!

Old 05-08-2019, 11:36 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Good!

Why is this not the norm everywhere?? I mean, I get it, food lobbying, but what's the excuse?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Boy, the stockholders and CEOs of candy, potato chip, corn chip, cookie and energy drink companies aren't going to like this.

Who does this guy think he is. Michelle Obama??

Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
I think it's a great idea!

Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Good!

Why is this not the norm everywhere?? I mean, I get it, food lobbying, but what's the excuse?
another texas lawmaker tried, some years back, to at least eliminate soft drinks being purchased with food stamps. unsuccessfully.

there was a very good article on it at the time, i'll see if i can locate it.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Let me get this straight.
I ask for a handout. I buy junk food get fat and land in
the hospital with complications only to apply and get
approved for SSI disability?

Gluttony is a sin....................

Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Back in the olden days, it was like that in Texas. No crap with snap. You could buy orange juice but not orange drinks. No chips, cookies, etc. Then somebody decided that poor kids need cookies and cokes, too. Then the fast food people started in with we should not deny poor people fast food.

IMO, if tax dollars are paying for the grocery bill, then the taxpayers get to decide what should be purchased. That goes for reduced and free lunches, too. If the taxpayers are picking up the tab, we get to say no junk food. No empty calories like french fries and fatty pizza.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I think it's a good idea too as long as it doesn't go too far. If people want junk like soda, chips, candy, and cookies, they can use their own money. The SNAP money would be used for actual food to make meals or for healthy snacks. No one's telling people they can't have a yogurt or some fruit or other snack food.

But I think a better way would be to educate people by tv and social media ads--educate everyone, because it's not just people on SNAP who eat like this. It's like banning the advertising of cigarettes. Stop the sales pitch. It's not just people on food stamps who need to wake up and start eating right.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:49 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,786,423 times
I'm okay with this. On the other hand, I hate more regs. But, still, if one wants junk food tax payers shouldn't be on the hook for it.

When I was super poor, I bought chips three times a year as a treat for the kids. We still hardly eat that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies