Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Good Samaritan claims his life is in tatters after a woman who he helped falsely accused him of sexual assault.

Kenan Basic spent two weeks in a maximum security prison, lost his job and is now going through a divorce, after a 19-year-old woman made false accusations against him.

Mr Basic stopped to help the teenager in November last year after she crashed her car and pulled into a BP in Bankstown, in Sydney's south-west.

The 36-year-old married father-of-one spent almost two hours helping the woman get her car back on the road.

CCTV captured the entire interaction and shows the pair chatting happily and even embracing before she drives away, Nine News reported.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-car-up.html

This really sucks.

I wonder if he can get his job back? Or if he can successfully sue his former employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:57 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-car-up.html

This really sucks.

I wonder if he can get his job back? Or if he can successfully sue his former employer?

The woman admitted she lied.
She should be fined, locked up and sued for defamation of character.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
I've done all of the Red Cross first aid, triage and cpr training and the first thing they teach you is to ask for and get consent from the person before helping them for this reason. It's a sad state of society but people are looking for any reason to sue even if you save their life first

Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
So much doesn't add up here. First off, who would make false charges against any person who took two hours to repair her car ? Secondly, why would his wife divorce him so quickly ?

Nothing here makes sense. There is something missing we aren't getting.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The woman admitted she lied.
She should be fined, locked up and sued for defamation of character.
Yes.

A farmer near me saw a woman stranded on a fairly remote road. Not good cell service, either. When he got to a place with better service, he called his wife. Told her to go offer assistance ( offer to call someone).

I used to stop and offer help. No more. Good Samaritans have been killed. Some have been sued for nonsense, like breaking something on a pos vehicle.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
So much doesn't add up here. First off, who would make false charges against any person who took two hours to repair her car ? Secondly, why would his wife divorce him so quickly ?

Maybe there is more to it, but, there are some people out there with a screw loose and think nothing of doing stuff like this.

But the police were rather horrible on this, arresting someone on a mere accusation with zero evidence to support, fully knowing the false accusations are not uncommon. Also, some wife he has, went to the divorce route right away, no care in the world to believe him.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Right. Not to mention, here we have a 38 y/o married dude with a kid at home who's got two hours to spend helping some random hottie with her car -- just to be a nice guy? A meth-head no less?

Yes, the dude was busted for meth at the same time. Funny how that little tidbit got lost in the current round of media reports. Read the original news coverage from last year when it happened. https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...509709fa4b3b7a

Another weird thing is that the current reports are saying that it was only by chance that the police got a hold of security cam footage that exonerates the dude. But the alleged groping incidents took place when he followed her in his car, not at the garage where he worked on her car. So what information did the video provide? And what were these "chance" circumstances that the police happened to see the footage anyway. Isn't the first thing a cop does in an investigation is to look for security cams?

Another unexplained item is that the girl was reportedly on the phone with her boyfriend screaming during the assaults. So wouldn't the police have questioned him, and wouldn't he have been an accomplice in the girl's lie if he corroborated it?

Plus this little tidbit from the OP's link: "Days after his act of kindness Mr Basic was facing serious sexual charges and spent two weeks behind bars in Silverwater Prison.
He also lost his job and is now going through a divorce because of the false charges."

So "now" it is almost a year since he was apparently exonerated, and he's just now going through a divorce that was caused by the false accusation? This is almost a parody of poor journalism. It makes no sense.

EDIT: one more thing. The original news story from last November said he was an, "UNEMPLOYED CARPENTER". And now they're saying he was fired over the incident. What?

If this actually did happen, my prediction is that it will soon be reported that these two are now having an affair. It all starts to make sense from that angle.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
The Daily Mail is not the most reliable news source on the planet. I'd never rely on them alone. Like the National Enquirer, they love salacious stories and don't hesitate to omit context. They don't make stuff up, exactly, but they do like to get people's attention.

I'd like to know more details before getting myself into a state over it.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
My take on false claims of rape: if Person A (accuser) admits to lying about Person B (accused) raping them but Person B is not convicted but serves time in jail or doesn't serve time in jail, Person A gets 1 year in jail. Same thing but Person B does get convicted, Person A serves either the same amount of time Person B served plus 1.5 years for making a false statement (consecutive sentences). In addition, all the money that Person A made from suing Person B goes to Person B plus possible interest. Also, Person A faces possible termination of parental rights and faces possible deportation. The termination of parental rights and deportation should also apply to Person B had they raped Person A.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:40 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I was driving home one day and a flash rain storm hit. It was pouring sheets of rain. I saw a kid (maybe 9 or 10) walking home from school, drenched. I felt bad but there was no way in hell I was going to offer him a ride because of stories like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies