Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes a fetus is a child. I don't know your religious background but I assume you are not a Christian and you do have the right not to be. But I personally believe the Bible and God says that this "fetus" is a human child. And that's what I form my views upon.
Being a Christian is not a requirement for being an American citizen. Therefore, what you believe has no bearing on the law, nor is it a requisite that everyone believe what you believe.

You get that, right?

Old 05-18-2019, 03:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
It's not just about the woman's body, its about the child's life as well. Yes I consider that child every bit a human as myself because that is what my religion teaches and yes my religion guides my vote and nobody can do a thing about that. The Bible is clear about this.

For me what PP does is morally no different than taking a gun and shooting a toddler in the head.
Yes it's about a child's life and maybe more than one. There are proposed anti-abortion laws, for instance Oklahoma SB 13, that would send a woman to prison convicted of abortion for up to life. If the woman has any children at home they would be deprived of a mother for the rest of their lives. Now what civilized or even uncivilized country would allow a law like that to happen? Keep abortion legal, safe and more rare!

Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yes. It is. If you have sex, you just may get pregnant. To pretend like it's not gonna ever happen to anyone is just astoundingly naive.

Babies are a possible outcome of sex. You do know that, right?

That sex can cause babies? Please tell me you understand that. Seriously.
Then why don't you go away and declare war on all sexual intercourse, unless it's for the purpose of procreation?

Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is it really that hard for women to pay attention to their bodies? Women want autonomy in everything, but when it comes to taking responsibility for knowing that they are pregnant, suddenly they are incapable and need 20 weeks to figure it out.

Either women are capable, competent and are responsible for their own bodies, or they're not, but they can't have it both ways where they want control without responsibility. Law that forbids abortion after fetal heartbeat means nothing more than women taking more control of their bodies and responsibly making a timely decision.
I have never had a regular period. Sometimes 4 weeks, then 2 weeks later then not again for 8 weeks. Even while on BC to help regulate my cycle I would sometimes go 8 weeks without. That is normal for me.

The vast majority 98% are well before 20 weeks. Those after are for maternal health, or fetal issues. Knowing your body will not prevent the need for a late term abortion due to a health problem or fetal development issues.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yes a fetus is a child. I don't know your religious background but I assume you are not a Christian and you do have the right not to be. But I personally believe the Bible and God says that this "fetus" is a human child. And that's what I form my views upon.
Then why isn't abortion banned in the Bible? In one bible story, the man who caused a woman to miscarry wasn't even charged with murder. Or do you pretty strongly believe parts of the Bible are WRONG?

Old 05-18-2019, 03:52 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
You have every right to your beliefs and every right to form your views based on the Bible. However, those are your views. The U.S. is governed by the Constitution, not the Bible. But evidently some of our lawmakers are having a hard time with that concept.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If a fetus isn't human then what is it and no, it's not just a collection of cells either.
It sure isn't as human as an hour old baby just born.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:10 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have never had a regular period. Sometimes 4 weeks, then 2 weeks later then not again for 8 weeks. Even while on BC to help regulate my cycle I would sometimes go 8 weeks without. That is normal for me.

The vast majority 98% are well before 20 weeks. Those after are for maternal health, or fetal issues. Knowing your body will not prevent the need for a late term abortion due to a health problem or fetal development issues.
Even those women who are not biologically like the rest of the mammals need to pay more attention. If they have unprotected sex and do not want to give birth, they should be able to figure out how to manage the situation in 6 weeks rather than 20.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:12 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
And you have every right to those views. They are guaranteed under our First Amendment.

We are not a theocracy, though, and religious views should not be a basis for legislation. The Constitution strictly prohibits the establishment of religion, as part of the First Amendment, which also guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of the press. “Separation of Church and State” protects religious freedom for everyone and it also prevents the tyranny of any one religion.

Religious views have no place in making laws to control women of a nation and limit their lives.The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. Roe v Wade permits her reproductive autonomy. The Christian Right Fundamentalists in the GOP are attempting to make our government force a woman to continue a pregnancy and limit her health care. What next?

To me this debate is about freedom. There are some evangelical extremists around ( I am not accusing you) and they are hiding behind ideas like “tradition” and “heritage” and “family values” but that doesn't cover up the fact that they are trampling on other people’s religious beliefs and insisting that people and our nation must conform themselves with their limited evangelical worldview.

It is up to every freedom-loving person, who prefers freedom of choice, freedom of worship, who cares about protecting women’s rights and equality for all, and advancing reason and scientific knowledge, to be aware of any evangelical extremism. To work against a power grab by some in the Christian Right. To keep them out of your doctor's office and bedroom and your personal beliefs and OUR government.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Except I am pro choice, and I wish that there were no reason for a woman to have an abortion. Since I live in reality I know that there are reasons some women choose abortion, and I feel that she is the one to make that decision since it is her life, and not mine. I can not make the determination of how a child or pregnancy will effect their life for another person, and they can not make that determination for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies