Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think that is what he was saying. I think he was saying painting these Marines as senseless war criminals is not fair. They are not the same as the people who participated in My Lai massacre.

Once again, The punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of the crime itself. Since the talibans were dead, the punishment should not be involved with jail time. (This is my opinion.)

Our service people follow rules, so in principle, they are already better than those. However, they are also human who are subject to human emotions. I am not saying you need to make excuses for them, but the punishment of the "crime" should be in proportion to the severity of the crime itself.

How come nobody is willing to answer this question, will you call ww2 veterans war criminals if they have done exactly the same? The iraq war or the war on terror is so unpopular, so some people lash out to the soldiers who participated in it. I found this to be troubling.
One of the Marines was forced to forfeit $500.00 in pay.

Hardly an extreme punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
One of the Marines was forced to forfeit $500.00 in pay.

Hardly an extreme punishment.
well, what else do you want? put them in prison? He urinated on the DEAD taliban who was the enemy he was fighting. I think the punishment seems fair. He has been publicly shamed, and needs to live with his decision for the rest of his life. I think it is enough, no? After all, these Marines did not kill civilians? They peed on the dead enemies. Uncivilized behavior that hurts the image of the Marine Corps maybe, but let's not pretend they are some senseless war criminals. I would argue however, they are totally dumb to post their video on the internet. Now, that is stupid.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, what else do you want? put them in prison? He urinated on the DEAD taliban who was the enemy he was fighting. I think the punishment seems fair. He has been publicly shamed, and needs to live with his decision for the rest of his life. I think it is enough, no?
I'm sensing a disconnect here.

Do you consider their punishment extreme or not?

All through this thread, you've argued as if these Marines are/were facing life in solitary confinement.
Then, come to find out, according to the article I provided, they basically got little more than slaps on the wrists.

Does anyone honestly believe that those slaps on the wrists warrant presidential pardons?

Old 05-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm sensing a disconnect here.

Do you consider their punishment extreme or not?

All through this thread, you've argued as if these Marines are/were facing life in solitary confinement.
Then, come to find out, according to the article I provided, they basically got little more than slaps on the wrists.

Does anyone honestly believe that those slaps on the wrists warrant presidential pardons?

well, op says (in his article) Trump may be preparing pardons for servicemen accused of war crimes, and he was using these Marines as one of the examples. Maybe you should ask him why he used them in his op.

A Marine staff sergeant who urinated on dead Taliban insurgents has pleaded guilty to two charges, the Marine Corps said on Thursday. His sentence was a reduction in rank and forfeiture of $500 in pay. Staff Sergeant Joseph Chamblin pleaded guilty at a court-martial to dereliction of duty.

So his sentence was also involved with reduction in rank. Yes, it is proportional to the "crime" he committed. Do i think they should even be considered as some kind of war criminals? no, absolutely not. By the way, A federal pardon in the United States is the action of the President of the United States that completely sets aside or commutes (lessens) the punishment for a federal crime. These Marines were accused of committing a federal crime, so the pardon does not seem unreasonable to me.

In addition to that, A pardon is a government decision to allow a person to be absolved of guilt for an alleged crime or other legal offense, as if the act never occurred. The pardon may be granted before or after conviction for the crime, depending on the laws of the jurisdiction.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-24-2019 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
One of the soldiers Trump is considering a pardon for is an absolute monster.

Chief Edward Gallagher bragged about killing 10 civilians a day. He shot and killed so many innocent women and children, that his team members tampered with his rifle sights as he slept so he would miss his shots at children.

Gallagher's actions were so horrific, that it was members of his own unit, seven NAVY seals, that turned him in for war crimes.

And the president wants to pardon him. Does a single Trump supporter disagree with POTUS pardoning him?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...47848719360000

Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
We take the fight to foreign shores ,so we will not have to fight on our own streets. I am all for this concept, because I know in my heart that , a large percental of the population would roll over and suck their thumbs ..
What would be so wrong about fighting wars at home, on our own streets? Most every other country has to deal with this, why not the US?!!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What would be so wrong about fighting wars at home, on our own streets? Most every other country has to deal with this, why not the US?!!
You never know what the future holds.....Folks would sing a different tune then I bet! See your pals or wife and kid getting wasted might make you want to pee on some dead SOB's.....

Old 05-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
One of the soldiers Trump is considering a pardon for is an absolute monster.

Chief Edward Gallagher bragged about killing 10 civilians a day. He shot and killed so many innocent women and children, that his team members tampered with his rifle sights as he slept so he would miss his shots at children.

Gallagher's actions were so horrific, that it was members of his own unit, seven NAVY seals, that turned him in for war crimes.

And the president wants to pardon him. Does a single Trump supporter disagree with POTUS pardoning him?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...47848719360000
I followed his case and it looks like his fellow SEALs even thought he was trigger happy. So I am not so convinced that he should be excused.

I think however, he should be evaluated for mental illness, instead of being put in a prison. Normally, trigger happy Marines and soldiers would be immediately processed out because they are considered liabilities not assets.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Looks like plenty of prosecutor misconduct was happening, hopefully being investigated.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Looks like plenty of prosecutor misconduct was happening, hopefully being investigated.
That, I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPfQVQcIRIw

Who really knew what truly happened over there? Some folks are saying the video showed he was actually trying to save the life of the teenage isis fighter who tried to kill him and his group an hour ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies