Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Pete Hegseth from Fox News and congressmen Steve King of Iowa, Ralph Norman of SC and Duncan Hunter of CA have all been lobbying Trump for their release. Some of the 10 have been convicted and some have not been tried but it appears they all belong in prison. This has caught the Pentagon and Military officers by surprise, no one was recommending these soldiers be pardoned. Trump just pardoned Lt. Michael Behenna last month even though he murdered and unarmed Iraqi.

We will see if he follows through on this this weekend but if he does it will cast a shadow over our military and it will circumvent the military justice system.

Quote:
President Trump has indicated that he is considering pardons for several American military members accused or convicted of war crimes, including high-profile cases of murder, attempted murder and desecration of a corpse, according to two United States officials.
The officials said that the Trump administration had made expedited requests this week for paperwork needed to pardon the troops on or around Memorial Day.

One request is for Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher of the Navy SEALs, who is scheduled to stand trial in the coming weeks on charges of shooting unarmed civilians and killing an enemy captive with a knife while deployed in Iraq.
The others are believed to include the case of a former Blackwater security contractor recently found guilty in the deadly 2007 shooting of dozens of unarmed Iraqis; the case of Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn, the Army Green Beret accused of killing an unarmed Afghan in 2010; and the case of a group of Marine Corps snipers charged with urinating on the corpses of dead Taliban fighters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/u...ar-crimes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Pete Hegseth from Fox News and congressmen Steve King of Iowa, Ralph Norman of SC and Duncan Hunter of CA have all been lobbying Trump for their release. Some of the 10 have been convicted and some have not been tried but it appears they all belong in prison. This has caught the Pentagon and Military officers by surprise, no one was recommending these soldiers be pardoned. Trump just pardoned Lt. Michael Behenna last month even though he murdered and unarmed Iraqi.

We will see if he follows through on this this weekend but if he does it will cast a shadow over our military and it will circumvent the military justice system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/u...ar-crimes.html

BS-

The military has become too PC and many soldiers are prosecuted for just doing their jobs.

Do you know anyone who has served in Iraq or Afghanistan? The "rules of engagement" today are so absurd that half of our military in ww2 would be put in military prison today.

Thank God Trump is going to do something about these gross injustices that place soldiers who are just doing their jobs in jail. Keep in mind that the terrorists are not signatories to the Geneva Convention and do not legally deserve any of the protections afforded to combatants.

Essentially all of my relatives who served in the Pacific in WW2 would be arrested today- we rightfully called them heroes then. My Dad said they always killed the SS when they captured them in Europe, as they were ruthless savages who did the same to them.

War is brutal and we are far too gentle on our enemies today.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
BS-

The military has become too PC and many soldiers are prosecuted for just doing their jobs.

Do you know anyone who has served in Iraq or Afghanistan? The "rules of engagement" today are so absurd that half of our military in ww2 would be put in military prison today.

Thank God Trump is going to do something about these gross injustices that place soldiers who are just doing their jobs in jail. Keep in mind that the terrorists are not signatories to the Geneva Convention and do not legally deserve any of the protections afforded to combatants.

Essentially all of my relatives who served in the Pacific in WW2 would be arrested today- we rightfully called them heroes then. My Dad said they always killed the SS when they captured them in Europe, as they were ruthless savages who did the same to them.

Some of these people intentionally murdered civilians, has that now become the new rules of engagement. I served in Vietnam, have the rules changed because the military courts don't seem to think so nor do the joint chiefs.

What exactly were the injustices, did they receive fair trials or are you just ranting. This confirms exactly what our enemies claim.

Last edited by Goodnight; 05-23-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
BS-

The normalization of war only leads to this mentality ^... a perpetual race to be more barbaric and destructive than other nations.

It's why I'm against war completely unless defending your own country's homeland.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The normalization of war only leads to this mentality ^... a perpetual race to be more barbaric and destructive than other nations.

It's why I'm against war completely unless defending your own country's homeland.
We take the fight to foreign shores ,so we will not have to fight on our own streets. I am all for this concept, because I know in my heart that , a large percental of the population would roll over and suck their thumbs ..

Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Some of these people intentionally murdered civilians, has that now become the new rules of engagement. I served in Vietnam, have the rules changed because the military courts don't seem to think so nor do the joint chiefs.

What exactly were the injustices, did they receive fair trials or are you just ranting. This confirms exactly what our enemies claim.
Ever studied the air war in Europe and Japan?????? If we fought today's wars like FDR did we would not have half the problems we do.......

Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I have no issue with reviewing the cases against those people. If anyone thinks that politics have nothing to do with how the Military prosecutes such cases, they crazy.

Obama was almost paranoid about his image as well as micromanaging the war. He was a modern day LBJ in that regard. So yes I can see where interpretation will be bent and the goal posts moved to make the POTUS at the time happy.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ever studied the air war in Europe and Japan?????? If we fought today's wars like FDR did we would not have half the problems we do.......
This is inexcusable present day and yes there have been atrocities in the past. There is no good reason to pardon these people that were convicted or on trial in military courts.

Last edited by Goodnight; 05-23-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I have no issue with reviewing the cases against those people. If anyone thinks that politics have nothing to do with how the Military prosecutes such cases, they crazy.

Obama was almost paranoid about his image as well as micromanaging the war. He was a modern day LBJ in that regard. So yes I can see where interpretation will be bent and the goal posts moved to make the POTUS at the time happy.
They aren’t reviewing the cases, how do you review a case when the trial is still in progress. The review should be done inside the military as should a request for pardon.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
This is inexcusable present day and yes there have been atrocities in the past. There is no good reason for to pardon these people that were convicted or on trial in military courts.
That will be determined if their cases are re-opened. Politics plays a huge role in such cases.

Unlike previous wars we are fighting an enemy that wears no uniform, adheres to no ROE's and uses civilians as shields and worse.

I will say this. If a bad guy is hiding behind 20 unarmed civilians and is shooting at our guys, I don't care if our guys mow down every civilian to kill the bad guy. I care that our guys are dying for n o good reason.

If I had my way I would pull our troops out and let those idiots slaughter each other at will. It's what they want to do, it's what they have been doing for centuries. Who are we to stop them. The entire country of Afghanistan is not worth 1 drop of our blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies