Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,123,635 times

Advertisements

Wow. Recession a year ahead. I thank Trump for his stimulating tax cuts.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/T10Y3M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 06:20 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
The key curve is the 5-year/3-month. According to the guy who discovered the inverted yield curve phenomenon in the 80's, if that curve stays inverted for 3 months or more, it's never given a false positive in signaling a recession within a year or so.

It first inverted on March 12, and has remained so ever since. So if it's still inverted by mid-June, it will have given the signal.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The key curve is the 5-year/3-month. According to the guy who discovered the inverted yield curve phenomenon in the 80's, if that curve stays inverted for 3 months or more, it's never given a false positive in signaling a recession within a year or so.

It first inverted on March 12, and has remained so ever since. So if it's still inverted by mid-June, it will have given the signal.
China knows the game they are playing. They can make up numbers out of their rear, the US can't. They will wait until we are at 15% unemployment before they make us take a deal at gunpoint.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:33 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post

You have posted this a few times. Last month I believe.

Whatever, yea were headed into a gigantic recession even though there are no bubbles other than student debt. I responded to your last thread with a well rounded and reasoned response. It went ignored, so yea. Go to sleep hoping there will be a massive recession proving another financial model to be correct like a broken watch.

Me, I'll remain spread invested in blue-chip equities with decent dividends, high yield IRAs (wife and myself), metals, and some cash. I also have 6 months worth of food storage, so I'm good.

Cheers

Old 05-24-2019, 06:42 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:

1. A recession isn't guaranteed.

2. Based on averages, we are on borrowed time.

3. Most similar countries are showing worse signs than the US is, if they go into recession it is unlikely we'd avoid it.

4. This is caused by bond investors (already conservative financially) thinking interest rates are more likely to fall.

5. I do think we are likely to see a drop in the stock market, most indicators suggest it has been over valued for years...thanks trillions of QE under Obama, now embraced foolishly by Trump.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
1. A recession isn't guaranteed.

2. Based on averages, we are on borrowed time.

3. Most similar countries are showing worse signs than the US is, if the go into recession it is unlikely we'd avoid it.

4. This is caused by bond investors (already conservative financially) thinking interest rates are more likely to fall.
i think that is a significant thing too. Big businesses have 50% equity in non-us markets. So yea, I agree.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
I'll just leave this here for those of you who believe a)POTUS causes recessions or b) economists can predict recessions:

How to Prepare For the Next Recession - Nov 12, 2012

Quote:
The texture of the next recession depends on its timing. If we head down next year, the trigger will certainly be foreign. If we survive until 2015 or 2016, then the trigger will be tightening monetary policy. The consequences for our economy and businesses are quite different.
When will the next US recession come? PUBLISHED - OCT 7 2013

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of mainstream economists predicts that the world’s biggest economy should have at least another two years before it runs into six months of negative growth (the official definition of recession). After 2015, however, the date for the next recession could be any time between the end of 2015 to 2018, according to economists’ forecasts.
I mean if you predict something enough, eventually you will be right.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:

Finally, something we have been wishing for since 11/8/2016!

Please god, let the economy crash like it’s the last day of humanity.

Then we finally got Trump!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'll just leave this here for those of you who believe a)POTUS causes recessions or b) economists can predict recessions:

How to Prepare For the Next Recession - Nov 12, 2012

When will the next US recession come? PUBLISHED - OCT 7 2013

I mean if you predict something enough, eventually you will be right.
Sad truth, the yield curve was 1.5% and not inverted. This time we are in a sustained period of inversion. You can stick your head in the sand if you want.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:50 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Sad truth, the yield curve was 1.5% and not inverted. This time we are in a sustained period of inversion. You can stick your head in the sand if you want.
Nobody has their head in the sand here, sorry to disappoint. I've said in other threads I expect a down turn, and I've said it for a while too. But you miss my point. In general this is not a POTUS induced event, its been a long time coming and people have been saying so since before Trump got on that escalator. Rallies like we have been seeing don't last forever, regardless if Trump, Obama, or Santa are in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies