Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's Suzy Q.

That is exactly what the mental health experts are saying. Those with social support are less likely to attempt suicide.

Why be mean? Why not just say, "I cannot understand why you are the way you are, but I like (or love) you anyway?"

1. A male would not say he "feels like a female". He will say I "am a female". Why does that person not have the right to her own way of feeling her gender?

2. Not everyone who is transgender chooses to have surgery. Many do not.

3. Any surgery has risks. It is not up to anyone except the patient and the surgeon to decide if those risks are acceptable. The same with medication.

It was very definitely the dentist's fault. There was absolutely no reason for him to say what he did.
I've certainly read many, many times about TGs "feeling" like the other gender, and "feeling" that they were born in the wrong body. Your sentence "He will say I AM a female" makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
1. A male would not say he "feels like a female". He will say I "am a female". Why does that person not have the right to her own way of feeling her gender?.
Because there is no such thing as gender.

Remember, gender is a made up social construct.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've certainly read many, many times about TGs "feeling" like the other gender, and "feeling" that they were born in the wrong body. Your sentence "He will say I AM a female" makes no sense whatsoever.
Exactly.

Because if they say "I am female," it means females have a penis. And they are OK with that. And there is no reason to change anything.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

According to Facebook there are 71 different gender options now. SJW excavators are mining for more as we speak.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Exactly.

Because if they say "I am female," it means females have a penis. And they are OK with that. And there is no reason to change anything.
https://www.webmd.com/parenting/feat...-transgender#1

"A boy doesn't say 'I wish I was a girl,' but 'I am a girl.' And vice versa."

"Transgender children may be unhappy with their boy or girl body parts, asking 'When will I get a penis?' or 'How can I get rid of it?'"

"'A child who is really confident -- no matter what anyone says, they're OK with how they dress and are -- is going to be much better than someone who doesn't get support at home,' she says. When families pressure children to conform to the gender they were born with, kids are much more likely to end up dealing with depression, drug abuse, suicide attempts, and HIV."

https://www.the-scientist.com/featur...r-people-30027

Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's keeping me up at night trying to figure out what Gillette's next move is....

Old 05-29-2019, 02:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
And that is where we diverge. It has absolutely nothing to do with like/dislike. That's emotion. And a very poorly chosen debate tactic that has zero merit. It has to do with biology.

A man is a man. And a woman is a woman. No more, no less. You cannot wish that basic fact of biology away.

You believe that mental illness is perfectly normal. The fact that you are saying that a person who favors his left hand is equally "different" to a man who believes he is a woman and undergoes decades of therapy, hormones, voluntary genital mutilation, and wears makeup, wigs, and dresses to try to convince himself and others around him that he is a woman?

There is nothing left for us to discuss. Not one inch of common ground. Yes, cancer is an illness. Being left handed? Not an illness. Mental illness = illness. Not different. /shrug/

PS. You are a better poster than to resort to that "nah nah you just dislike pffft" comment.
You are right. I shouldn't bother but it's something to do when there is nothing else to do. You can believe whatever you want but it's not going to change anything.

We no longer believe being left handed is evil and we will come around here also.

How did left-handedness transform from a symptom of mental and moral deficiency to a sign of creativity and mental fortitude?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/left-handedness-evil

Until then some will believe being cruel to others is the answer.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are right. I shouldn't bother but it's something to do when there is nothing else to do. You can believe whatever you want but it's not going to change anything.

We no longer believe being left handed is evil and we will come around here also.

How did left-handedness transform from a symptom of mental and moral deficiency to a sign of creativity and mental fortitude?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/left-handedness-evil

Until then some will believe being cruel to others is the answer.
Define "cruel." Who is being cruel? Is stating basic facts of biology: a man is a man and a woman is a woman "cruel"?

Also? TG is not "evil." It is mental illness. You seem to be avoiding the illness part and trying to pretend that "evil" and "different" are the same as illness. They aren't.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Define "cruel." Who is being cruel? Is stating basic facts of biology: a man is a man and a woman is a woman "cruel"?

Also? TG is not "evil." It is mental illness. You seem to be avoiding the illness part and trying to pretend that "evil" and "different" are the same as illness. They aren't.
There is absolutely nothing you can do about it so people will deal with their issues.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well most everyone has to shave something here and there and that applies to Trans people too.
I just don't understand why big companies like Gillette feel the need to reach out to such a small segment of our society while running the risk of offending a larger segment?
It is not just the trans folk themselves, but those of us who align with the message.

Quote:
We all know that there are Trans people in the world but do we need to see them on prime time TV in an ad?
Why shouldn't we? Are they scary? Or do they need to be hidden away in shame as they have always done?

Quote:
I could care less about it but I wonder if the feelings of the Trans people are so fragile that they need the reassurance of seeing a person like themselves on TV?
Fragile. Yah, I think it is that. They MUST be fragile to risk getting their asses beat every time they go out in the world. If you think that is not their reality, you are wrong.

Representation is actually a good thing. What it does is makes people like you less scared and weirded out by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies