Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Without knowing the total number of accounts Chase has closed down -- we don't know if this is significant or not.

Googling Chase shutdowns -- it seems that Chase is in the habit of closing customer accounts and up until these handful of conservatives were victims of the shutdown, nobody associated the shutdowns with political affiliation.
Chase is the third largest bank in the US.

Chase has millions of customer accounts., $2.6 Trillion in assets and world wide operations. You think they know or care about the political ideology of their account holders?

Bounce enough checks and any bank will close your account. And no doubt, some of them take to social media to condemn the bank. Have too many flagged deposits/ transfers without reasons and a bank might say thanks, but no thanks.

Then theres a tiny number of people who make their livelihood on conspiracy theories, spreading misinformation fear mongering, victimhood and sensationalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Not that I'm defending banks as being paragons of virtue. Far from it.

But to claim that banks are "under fire" or "landed in hot water" for closing accounts because the customers are conservative or even alt-right is ridiculous.

In the first place, what trouble would they be in? Have conservatives become a protected class?

In the second place, if the customer is bewildered by why their account was closed, they could always ask.
Some people make a living claiming victimhood and some of them are conservatives.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

But to claim that banks are "under fire" or "landed in hot water" for closing accounts because the customers are conservative or even alt-right is ridiculous.

In the first place, what trouble would they be in? Have conservatives become a protected class?

In the second place, if the customer is bewildered by why their account was closed, they could always ask.
A reasonable person would pursue it with their bank. They would not buy one share of stock to gain entry to shareholder meeting with the intent of playing victim and accusing the bank of a conspiracy of their own fabrication.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:55 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Bingo.

That seems to be a rather large loose end to the article.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
According to the article.....

Quote:
And while there’s no immediate evidence of a hidden blacklist, Almasi frets that conservatives like him who bank with Chase could be targeted.
That's all I need to know to throw this one out with the trash.

P.S. Love the use of the word "could". I mean, Chase *could* try to kill all of them too. Chase *could* steal all their pets and sell them to a crocodile farm. Could, could, could....give me a break.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburg Landing View Post
That is not true. Liberals hate the First Amendment. They want government to restrict the free exercize of religion if a Christian bakes cakes or makes T shirts. You lefties are hypocrites. You want special rights.
Looks like it's YOU who want special rights. Demanding that a privately owned business handle accounts that they may not want to handle.

Take a look at your own hypocrisy, poster.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:21 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I thought the conservatives were against the bailouts that resulted from the big crash. Why would they have any bank account?

We left Wells Fargo when they screwed all their customers with requiring fake insurance and deducting it from their accounts.

If Chase is discriminating, screw them. Put your money in a credit union.

Conservatives are cry babies.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This could be a real problem.

JPMorgan Chase accused of purging accounts of conservative activists

JPMorgan Chase is under fire for closing the bank accounts of several customers in the conservative movement as other right-wingers are threatening to close their accounts unless the bank plays nice.

“If Jamie Dimon can’t absolutely guarantee that Chase Bank won’t ever discriminate against conservatives, conservatives should consider banking elsewhere,” warned David Almasi, vice president of the conservative-leaning National Center for Public Policy Research, referring to JPMorgan’s chairman and CEO.

JPMorgan first landed in hot water soon after conservative activists Enrique Tarrio, Joe Biggs, Laura Loomer and Martina Markota discovered their accounts at Chase were closed within weeks of each other earlier this year — and without satisfactory explanations, they claim.

Almasi, representing his group’s Free Enterprise Project, said Dimon assured him the bank has not pulled any more customer accounts. “But he stopped short” of saying it won’t do it in the future, Almasi added.
You mean the bank grabbed their money?

I smell fake news....

Old 05-27-2019, 04:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburg Landing View Post
LOL! You are using your own hypocrisy to justify a charge of hypocrisy against me. Let's give people freedom of contract. When you agree that Colorado cannot force a baker to make a cake for a gay "wedding" then I will agree that Chase Bank can discriminate against people with which they disagree politicalky. Fair?
Fine with me. I would ask both to clearly spell out said policy on a sign, etc. so as to avoid embarrassment and such.

Would the Baker have "Please inform me if you have committed adultery since I cannot bake a cake for your next wedding" on the sign?

Or the same with any of the ten commandments?

Hopefully we both understand public accommodation. If ALL banks refused to accept legally obtained monies...or even most banks....then I'd probably ask government to step in but ONLY because Government (we the taxpayers) are the ones standing behind the banks (FDIC, etc.).

But we certainly can't have motels...and perhaps bakers are related, saying "you know, I don't like fat people and you are fat, so you can't stay here tonight".

In terms of the baker I really don't care either way. But there is a line in public accommodation and in interstate commerce. That's why we have courts...and even those decisions change.

Vast areas of this country have been built on illegal money....and banks certainly didn't refuse those bucks. They are probably not turning down the deposits of Russia Oligarchs or Saudi Madrassa financiers....so there is a certain hypocrisy to this unless it is limited to a very local and "good" bank.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
A pox on all megabanks of which Chase is only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies