Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

For those that live with commutes to Penn Station. This is great news that Amazon may select West Side Manhattan over LIC. More important to start an infrastructure bill with Trump than wasting time trying to impeach him. What did the impeachment of Clinton got us? We need to focus on real issues instead of political fighting and wasting of taxpayer money. If both GOP and Dems can finally create a bill to restore the Gateway Project it will be a huge win for NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 11:30 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
While I agree with the premise that jobs near Penn Station + Gateway improvements and other public transit investments are vital to NJ and NY, it's never going to happen with 2/3 of the federal government controlled by vindictive and heartless things (Trump and McConnell, the latter of whom I'm convinced really is not a human being because he entirely lacks a heart and morals). NY and NJ did not vote for Trump, do not support Trump, flipped seats blue, and have AGs who are rightfully investigating Trump at the state level. He's too much a vindictive child to put the country first; he'd rather just help himself and people who bow down to him as the Supreme Leader.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
While I agree with the premise that jobs near Penn Station + Gateway improvements and other public transit investments are vital to NJ and NY, it's never going to happen with 2/3 of the federal government controlled by vindictive and heartless things (Trump and McConnell, the latter of whom I'm convinced really is not a human being because he entirely lacks a heart and morals). NY and NJ did not vote for Trump, do not support Trump, flipped seats blue, and have AGs who are rightfully investigating Trump at the state level. He's too much a vindictive child to put the country first; he'd rather just help himself and people who bow down to him as the Supreme Leader.
What garbage. Seems to me that the vindictiveness and vitriol are entirely coming from the Left and Democrats.

I mean, look at you. Look how much hate is coming from you.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What garbage. Seems to me that the vindictiveness and vitriol are entirely coming from the Left and Democrats.
I forgot, which side is holding infrastructure spending hostage right now? Which side refers to the other side as haters? Which side scapegoats entire populations of people? Which side is denying disaster relief funding? Which side voted against Sandy relief, but still lost? McConnell just said that he'd bring a vote to fill a SCOTUS vacancy in 2020 even though he refused to do so in 2016, so who's playing politics?

Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I forgot, which side is holding infrastructure spending hostage right now? Which side refers to the other side as haters? Which side scapegoats entire populations of people? Which side is denying disaster relief funding? Which side voted against Sandy relief, but still lost? McConnell just said that he'd bring a vote to fill a SCOTUS vacancy in 2020 even though he refused to do so in 2016, so who's playing politics?
Which side is talking endlessly about impeachment despite not having any evidence? Which side is for massive illegal immigration and against a border wall just for vindictiveness when they previously were in support of it? Which side is putting unworkable strings attached to even discussing infrastructure? Which side riots in the streets because they lost an election? Which side is looking to eliminate the electoral college because it doesn't work to their advantage? Which side is purposefully staying on as a Supreme Court Justice despite being physically and mentally on the verge of being incompetent just to keep the president from nominating a new justice? Which side puts up fake allegations to smear an otherwise impeccable Justice nominee? Which side stacks the lower circuit courts with SJW judges? Which side thought Kim Jung Un was brave when he called Trump names but now that he is friendly with Trump, that same Kim Jung Un is now dangerous and worrisome? Which side thought there was no such a thing as a Russian threat (which Obama famously said in a debate with Romney) but now thinks Russian is some huge threat?

Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM

Which side is talking endlessly about impeachment despite not having any evidence? You mean no evidence despite the fact that Mueller said he did not exonerate Trump and simply could not charge a sitting President?
Which side is for massive illegal immigration and against a border wall just for vindictiveness when they previously were in support of it? Nobody is pro-illegal immigration just like nobody is pro-abortion. It's a humanitarian issue. We see welcoming refugees as a positive attribute for our country, while building a wall is a waste of funding when tunnels, boats, planes, and ladders all exist. Prior Democrats may have been in support of a wall, but people's opinions change and I never have been in favor of walls.
Which side is putting unworkable strings attached to even discussing infrastructure? I'm unaware of that, but I'm entirely aware of Trump, Pelosi, and Schumer agreeing to a number, GOP members being against it for the cost, and Trump saying he won't agree to anything till investigations are over.
Which side riots in the streets because they lost an election? When your candidate wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college twice within 2 decades and you realize you're being controlled by the minority of the population, you get pissed off and rightfully so. I do not condone violent rioting, though.
Which side is looking to eliminate the electoral college because it doesn't work to their advantage? You mean because it literally allows the minority of votes to rule the majority of the people? Yeah find me anyone who would be totally complacent if Hillary beat Trump in the EC but lost electoral.
Which side is purposefully staying on as a Supreme Court Justice despite being physically and mentally on the verge of being incompetent just to keep the president from nominating a new justice? You're seriously calling someone on the Supreme Court mentally incompetent? Sounds like someone playing politics again.
Which side puts up fake allegations to smear an otherwise impeccable Justice nominee? Just because you don't believe women doesn't mean it didn't happen. Testifying under oath is not something a liar would do.
Which side stacks the lower circuit courts with SJW judges? Find me evidence because right now Trump and McConnell are rushing through judges and stealing SCOTUS seats.
Which side thought Kim Jung Un was brave when he called Trump names but now that he is friendly with Trump, that same Kim Jung Un is now dangerous and worrisome? Literally nobody supports anything Kim Jong Un does or says except for Trump
Which side thought there was no such a thing as a Russian threat (which Obama famously said in a debate with Romney) but now thinks Russian is some huge threat? You mean by the fact that evidence has come to light proving they are a threat? So you don't like when people change their opinions based on actual facts?

You can believe what you want, but the current GOP is the most heartless and vindictive group of old white men I'd ever be able to conjure up in nightmares. If anyone actually thinks they care about NJ and NY residents dying in a tunnel, I have a tun...I mean bridge to sell you. The GOP is anti-public transit and anti-anything coming from NY/NJ as we are seen as the enemy.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
The window closed because Christie declined to up the buy in for the project. Obama offered only 1/2 the cost while NY and NJ needed to fund the other half. I believe NY was willing to chip in their half but Christie closed the door on it. It wasn't expensive back then but NJ was facing tough economic issues.

As for the current situation, Schumer wanted the project but trump would only talk if there are no more witch hunts. It's a witch hunt because Trump has zero political life and suddenly he was investigated for Russian collusion. Hillary had more Russian collusion than anyone. Her foundation received donation from Russians for mining contracts.

I don't care about that, I want both parties to work together and get something done before the day of reckoning happens.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:50 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times
Both sides suck right now because they’re both too far radical. We’re just stuck in the middle getting taken by both sides. End of story.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:51 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
More important to start an infrastructure bill with Trump than wasting time trying to impeach him.
Apparently, you are one of those people who is ignorant of the history of the 93rd Congress, which was in session following Nixon's Watergate escapades, and was the Congress that conducted the investigations that followed his campaign's break-in at Democratic Party Headquarters. Despite the fact that a lot of their personnel were involved in the investigations and the lead-up to Nixon's impeachment, that Congress managed to pass 26 pieces of major legislation, along with a host of less important bills. And--for the record--some of those pieces of major legislation had to do with... infrastructure!

If the 93rd Congress could conduct investigations for more than one year, and still manage to conduct its normal legislative tasks, there is no reason why the 116th Congress cannot do likewise. Apparently when the current occupant of The White House claims that it is not possible for Congress to pursue investigations and simultaneously carry out its normal legislative tasks, you simply accept this falsehood, rather than looking at historical precedents.

Just because the current occupant of The White House apparently can't walk and chew gum at the same time, that type of limitation does not have to apply to Congress.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The window closed because Christie declined to up the buy in for the project. Obama offered only 1/2 the cost while NY and NJ needed to fund the other half. I believe NY was willing to chip in their half but Christie closed the door on it. It wasn't expensive back then but NJ was facing tough economic issues.

As for the current situation, Schumer wanted the project but trump would only talk if there are no more witch hunts. It's a witch hunt because Trump has zero political life and suddenly he was investigated for Russian collusion. Hillary had more Russian collusion than anyone. Her foundation received donation from Russians for mining contracts.

I don't care about that, I want both parties to work together and get something done before the day of reckoning happens.
A lot can be blamed on Christie in regards to the current state of infrastructure in the region. I'll agree with you that if Christie had been on board, we'd be much better off, his party affiliation completely aside.

Just because you call it a witch hunt does not make it a witch hunt. And you know what? So what if it is? So what if literally Schumer and Pelosi made this entire thing up so that Pelosi could become President one day and turn us into a communist dictatorship? That's clearly not the reality, but hypothetically let's go with the GOP's worst nightmare being the reality? Why does that stop our federal government from passing an infrastructure bill? Why does a full-fledged witch hunt against the President allow him to hold us hostage? He holds us hostage every single day he refuses to go along with the infrastructure planning. Every day our federal government stalls because the GOP believes this is a witch hunt, real lives of NJ and NY residents are at risk. That is not okay regardless of party affiliation. When the tunnels collapse, your voter registration letter will not be important during your funeral. You cannot possibly sit here and rationally believe that it is okay for the federal government to play politics with our lives. One side is trying to make sure we don't die when a tunnel collapses on us, while the other refuses to engage in political discussions until the world bows down to them. Even if the Dems concocted this entire thing (which they did not), only one side currently cares about our lives. Will you really care about the President's actions when you and your family die in a tunnel collapse? One idea seems way more important than the other.

And as Retriever said, it's fully possible for the Dems to do both. They're both investigating and legislating. GOP is evading and obstructing by refusing to work with the Dems on this vital legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies