Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times

Advertisements

I suggest you Google the different footprints and how science can differentiate between human and natural CO2.

I will be happy to lecture on this tomorrow.

Good night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 03:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
Please send some Glowball Warming to Long Island; it's ****ing in the 40's this morning in JUNE!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
There has been an increase in both volcanic activity over the last century as well as atmospheric CO2 levels.

It appears as though increased CO2 in the atmosphere is causing increased volcanic activity.
I noticed a similar thing near my neighborhood...a rash of flat tires caused a bunch of nails to form in the road.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I noticed a similar thing near my neighborhood...a rash of flat tires caused a bunch of nails to form in the road.

Yes, I have noticed that myself. Also, I noticed among my patients that those with COPD tend to take up smoking.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Nature's impact constantly changes. It is not a finite, nor regularly occurring, nor linear delta. And as you know, nature's impact on climate can and has been EXTREME prior to man, and man's industrialization. How do you account for that?
There were of course "EXTREME" climate processes prior to mankind arriving on the scene. These can perhaps be classified into two different groups.

The first can include really big changes but they occur very slowly, although sudden on a geological time-scale. So the end of the last ice age saw a rise of perhaps 6°C in global temperature over 8,000 years or 55 million years ago the PETM which saw similar temperature rises over 40,000 years (long enough, for instance, for horses to adapt to the temperature increases by slowly evolving from pony-size into the size of large dogs).

The second group are far more sudden, the suddenness often obvious. A big volcanic eruption (Mt Toba 74,000 years ago), a meteor strike, or a sudden influx of fresh water that destabilizes ocean currents (as per Dansgaard–Oeschger events). This second group can still have very very big local effects but obvious causes that soon dissipate (although D-O events can take 2,000 years to return to the prior climate).

But in all this, I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. If we wait long enough there will eventually be a mega-volcano blow its top, or a big meteor will eventually strike the Earth. (There isn't enough ice about for a D-O event to occur without an ice-age.) So are you suggesting we set about creating our own climatic disaster to allow us to practice for how to respond to the real thing?

Or do you want an explanation for every wobbly bit of paleoclimate before you will accept the blindingly obvious fact that it is humanity driving today's warming climate and it will not end well if we don't do something about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies