Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM

2,448 posts, read 895,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
She is indeed an amazing woman, capable of tremendous self-sacrifice.

But it's important to remember that not everyone would have the same reaction, way of coping, healing, or circumstances.

Thankfully this woman had a strong loving family, plenty of support, extreme love of pregnancy and motherhood, lots of experience being pregnant, a loving husband willing to raise a child that wasn't his own, and lots of money. She also had extremely deep religious beliefs that gave her the feeling that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now what if the same violent rape happened instead to a homeless or near homeless 19 year old who had no family, friends, or money? Someone for whom the rape pregnancy induces no hope, only constant PTSD flashbacks?

I could not possibly fault either of these women for the choice they made...whether the choice was to allow the pregnancy to continue, or to terminate it.
I appreciate your thoughts on this. I don't believe compounding the tragedy is the answer. The answer is to do more to help these women, not to abort the unborn child. As with other issues, I will gladly pay more in taxes to help these women and their children.

Some things should not be "choices" we may make. First among those is a "right" to kill other human beings. No, psychological ramifications are not a sufficient moral argument. I would note that folks who often make this argument have a false understanding of how competent professionals deal with people with actual PTSD. You do not treat a person with PTSD by avoiding the issues that led to the condition or avoiding reminders of the source. Quite the opposite. We have options that can help rape victims. Participating in an abortion can have similarly traumatic effects on a woman.

I can come up with different hypotheticals in which I am physically bound, against my will, to another person. If I release myself from him/her, I'm free and he/she dies. Is it just that I was forced against my will into this situation? No. Is it moral for me to kill that other person so that I am freed from 9 months of being shackled to him/her? No. Should that "choice" be enshrined and protected under law? No.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I will remind you, YOU are the one who brought color into this abortion debate......why?

Did I fabricate you bringing eugenics into the discussion? If that isn't conspiracy-thought I don't know what is.
You are incorrect, yet again. Much earlier in the thread, a pro-choicer argued that closing these clinics harms women of color in particular. It was then that I began responding to that particular subject.

You're batting .000 in this thread and you have continually fabricated things I have not written, and I think it's clear why you've been reduced to fabricating things I haven't written.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree with all except for the third one. I'm not willing to pay the taxes to help irresponsible parents provide for their kids. Unfortunately, I'm being forced to.
Then when the kids die because they could not be fed, clothed or housed, you are ok with that, but you are not ok with them dying before they are born?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Then when the kids die because they could not be fed, clothed or housed, you are ok with that, but you are not ok with them dying before they are born?
There is a case near me where two children were horribly abused. The abuse was reported and investigated, but somehow not substantiated. Then the four-year-old died during an episode of the abuse and her 3-year-old sister was critically injured. There were cigarette burns on both of the girls. CPS has fired the social worker, and the mother and boyfriend are in jail. The funeral is coming up while the younger child is still in the hospital.

If these children were wanted, I certainly don't see evidence of it.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This is a prime example of another nonsensical, illogical argument. How do you debate with someone who behaves like this.

Yes, if you want to prohibit abortions, you are in favor of born children starving and wandering the streets naked and homeless. Really well reasoned and argued.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You are incorrect, yet again. Much earlier in the thread, a pro-choicer argued that closing these clinics harms women of color in particular. It was then that I began responding to that particular subject.

You're batting .000 in this thread and you have continually fabricated things I have not written, and I think it's clear why you've been reduced to fabricating things I haven't written.
I believe it was brought up that closing clinics would harm POOR women.

Either way, you did not bring up color as a response when you used it in our conversation. You brought it up, unprompted, as a reason to close clinics in cities.

You brought up color, you brought up eugenics, trying to deny it does nothing for your credibility.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
This is a prime example of another nonsensical, illogical argument. How do you debate with someone who behaves like this.

Yes, if you want to prohibit abortions, you are in favor of born children starving and wandering the streets naked and homeless. Really well reasoned and argued.
I keep waiting for the multitudes of pro-lifers you claim to believe as you do to pop over and support your posts.

They may exist but they aren't here arguing for better healthcare (including free and accessible birth control), comprehensive sex ed, better social services. All I'm hearing is "not on my dime".

Old 06-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I believe it was brought up that closing clinics would harm POOR women.

Either way, you did not bring up color as a response when you used it in our conversation. You brought it up, unprompted, as a reason to close clinics in cities.

You brought up color, you brought up eugenics, trying to deny it does nothing for your credibility.
You've repeatedly lied about what I've written so you are now trying to accuse me of the same. Someone pointed out that doing this disproportionately affects women of color. I responded and pointed out that in calling for more abortion clinics in our cities, we will have disproportionate percentages of black and Latino babies aborted.

You're correct, I did bring up eugenics after one of the schoomarms argued that abortion reduced the number of kids who will place undue burdens on society. That sort of sentiment is at the heart of eugenics. If you can present a logical rebuttal, I will welcome it. So far, you been good at two things: fabricating things I haven't written and smears. Calling someone a racist isn't an argument, it's a smear and it doesn't reflect well on you when you have no rational basis for claiming this. You can do better. Try doing so.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:

It is the truth - you reject aid to the parents once the child is born. You don't like to see what your arguments mean.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I keep waiting for the multitudes of pro-lifers you claim to believe as you do to pop over and support your posts.

They may exist but they aren't here arguing for better healthcare (including free and accessible birth control), comprehensive sex ed, better social services. All I'm hearing is "not on my dime".
Whether they choose to do that has no bearing on the soundness of my ideas.

If no pro-choicers emerge to denounce the idea that abortion is moral because it reduces the number of human beings who will burden the rest of us economically, would you say that this would be a logical refutation of the argument for abortion rights?

Truth and validity of ideas are not decided by opinion polls, particularly opinion polls of a miniscule sample in a place like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.