Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 03:35 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,850,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Translation: you have no data whatsoever. Predictable. Best to stick with the Bible Thumper Anecdotal Evidence Ticker.

I can do better than data, I have an entire state to back me up.

State of Alabama legislators disagree with you. They are not willing to pay more taxes to support all the babies being born after the abortion ban has been passed.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alab...o-changes.html

"Sen. Linda Coleman-Madison, D-Birmingham, proposed an amendment that would have required the state to provide prenatal care and medical care for the mother and the child in cases when a woman is denied an abortion because of the law. Democrats said a lack of support from Republicans on issues that can help low-income families, like Medicaid expansion, undermines their argument about protecting unborn children.
“The sin to me is bringing a child into this world and not taking care of them," Coleman-Madison said. "The sin for me is that this state does not provide adequate care. We don’t provide education. And then when the child is born and we know that mother is indigent and she cannot take care of that child, we don’t provide any support systems for that mother.”"

Senators rejected her amendment 23-6.

You are in the minority.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Half the women who seek abortions were using contraception. The more effective methods are expensive up front. Did you not even read my post that you quoted?
The numbers include women who used contraception inconsistently. That's the problem - not that half the women seeking abortions used contraception that failed them.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:59 PM

999 posts, read 555,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find the premise of the OP's question to be annoying. At its essence, what it's saying is that someone created a problem (by having children that they didn't want), yet it's someone else's fault (the pro-life community) for not committing vast amounts of money and time to fix it.
No one is asking you to fix it. We're asking you to let people fix the problem themselves by having an abortion and not bringing unwanted life into the world in the first place.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 PM

37,175 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The numbers include women who used contraception inconsistently. That's the problem - not that half the women seeking abortions used contraception that failed them.
At least they were trying.

The part of my post that you quoted includes mention of the more effective long acting methods, which are not affordable for many women. Perfect use every time by every woman for the other methods is an unattainable goal.

Do you support making such methods free for any woman who wants to use them?

Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM

37,175 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I can do better than data, I have an entire state to back me up.

State of Alabama legislators disagree with you. They are not willing to pay more taxes to support all the babies being born after the abortion ban has been passed.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alab...o-changes.html

"Sen. Linda Coleman-Madison, D-Birmingham, proposed an amendment that would have required the state to provide prenatal care and medical care for the mother and the child in cases when a woman is denied an abortion because of the law. Democrats said a lack of support from Republicans on issues that can help low-income families, like Medicaid expansion, undermines their argument about protecting unborn children.
“The sin to me is bringing a child into this world and not taking care of them," Coleman-Madison said. "The sin for me is that this state does not provide adequate care. We don’t provide education. And then when the child is born and we know that mother is indigent and she cannot take care of that child, we don’t provide any support systems for that mother.”"

Senators rejected her amendment 23-6.

You are in the minority.
Interesting. Ms. Coleman-Madison is black, married, Catholic, and was unopposed in her last election in 2018.

https://ballotpedia.org/Linda_Coleman-Madison

https://votesmart.org/candidate/biog...n#.XQbKsRZKhhE

Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 PM

9,547 posts, read 4,372,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Is it 'killing a child" when the woman has been raped? Is it 'killing a child' when the life of the mother is at stake?

Of course it's still killing a child. Like anything else, there is no absolute right or wrong. In the case of rape or when the life of the mother is a stake, I don't think anyone would vilify the mother if she chooses abortion. It would be truly courageous for the mother to have the child under such circumstances. I can honestly say I wouldn't have the courage to do so.

That being said, you're being disingenuous and you know it. The vast majority of abortions are for convenience. History will not judge us kindly. Future generations will view abortion to be as barbaric and inhuman as we view slavery. Abortion for convenience is a monstrous act. Hiding behind sound bites like "its a women's right to do as she wishes with her body" is nothing more than a cowardly and a simple minded diversion tactic.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
They aren't people, they are fetuses.
Sure. Keep telling yourself that. Get back to us when your unborn fetus is killed by someone other than you. You're full of crap. Ask any women who's had a miscarriage if the fetus wasn't a person.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,685,657 times
This bill proposed by a Republican lawmaker from Oklahoma would eliminate a state Medicaid program that provides health care services to low-income pregnant women. He wanted to get rid of it because to him too many illegal pregnant women were taking advantage of it. Still that's like throwing the baby out with the bath water before it's even born.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...ed-immigrants/

Let Trump and his twitter worry about the pregnant illegal immigrant situation. I don't seem to hear Republican legislators in DC complain about it.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,685,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Sure. Keep telling yourself that. Get back to us when your unborn fetus is killed by someone other than you. You're full of crap. Ask any women who's had a miscarriage if the fetus wasn't a person.
So I wonder if you would like to compound the heartbreak by wanting a law passed requiring every known miscarriage to be criminally investigated in case the mother caused it, such as by intentionally falling down the stairs.

If you're not full of crap, then why don't you go to an abortion clinic and stand in the doorway to block pregnant women from entering? After all you strongly insist that abortion is the act of killing or murder.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So I wonder if you would like to compound the heartbreak by wanting a law passed requiring every miscarriage to be investigated in case the mother caused it, such as by intentionally falling down the stairs.

I'll take your post as prima facie evidence that you have conceded this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.