Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Meh...a number of you are so mixed up that you can’t say for a fact that no one in your blood line was here that early...
If that's the case, a number of white posters may be so mixed up they don't realize they're descendants of slaves. Woohoo - money grab!

In my case, my parents were first generation and second generation. That may be confusing for some, but we understand where we came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If that's the case, a number of white posters may be so mixed up they don't realize they're descendants of slaves. Woohoo - money grab!

In my case, my parents were first generation and second generation. That may be confusing for some, but we understand where we came from.
Could be...and it will be up to them to make their claim if they have been harmed by slavery and Jim Crow.

Many whites are not like you though. That’s why some of them were boo-hooing after finding out their family histories on some shows. Plenty of them have mixed quite a bit.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:47 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I have a black GGGrandfather (a slave? maybe) and a Mexican Great Grandmother. My family always called her a Mexican Indian, but we understood what she was. A wet back. Basically, She married my French American grandfather, making her a legal citizen.

Why should I be held accountable for reparations?

Why should I pay for something I had no responsibility for to people who were never slaves?
The better question is why are people making this out to be something that might actually happen?

Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The better question is why are people making this out to be something that might actually happen?
It will never happen. This nation will be in flames before the first check goes out. This is one of the most offensive parts of the leftist agenda, at least half the country would refuse to accept this. Not one red cent.....not one

Old 06-23-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My family history starts during and after the Civil War. I had family on both sides but my Southern ancestors were not slave holders nor did they care about the issue. They fought to defend their homes and families. My Northern kin fought because they were drafted.

After the war both sides of my family went West with some remaining in the MO, Kansas region. The ones who went West tried to start small ranches the ones who stayed further East had small homesteads. Subsistence farming and livestock.

They were attacked, burned out with loss of life, by Union backed interests. The railroads and big cattle operations. Their land and water was wanted by these industries. There was no recourse. The ones out West moved on as best they could the ones further East turned outlaw.

My Dads side finally settled in the Dakotas my Moms in CA. So, if descendant of slaves are owed for their treatment during and post Civil war what about everyone else who was oppressed, raped and murdered under the "system"? My family paid the price of admission in blood during and after the war and from my house the account is square.
Don’t have all the answers but, at the end of the day, this is about those continuously oppressed from the nation’s inception through Jim Crow’s end in the 1960s. If there is some tax to compensate them and others who have been wronged, then I have no issue with it. And my family wasn’t here for any of it. We set foot here in the 1970s.

People don’t complain this much when we throw billions at Israel yearly. We pay for that. But somehow it’s a problem for those whose ancestors were persecuted relentlessly over hundreds of years to receive the compensation that should have been given to their family members. Smh.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Good question...don’t see it happening either.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
When you are free , you are free of the democrat pandering with lip service only. Many blacks are free and know they are equal to anyone else on this earth. Skin color does not define a person yet the democrats believe it does.. they believe blacks are victims of their skin color because the democrats, the party that gave blacks the KKK and Lynching, and the Jim Crow Laws are still trying to rule blacks today. Many Many are free . They walked away from the democrat party and know they are equal and not a victim as the democrats defining them.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The US government could recoup some of the expense by ceasing to give aid and forcing tariffs on African countries that participated in the slave trade. They should be made to pay, too. The West African countries have some pretty decent mineral reserves as well as agricultural resources. We can force them to pay at least half the reparations we pay.
That part of the continent will probably implode into anarchy and war, but who cares.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It will never happen. This nation will be in flames before the first check goes out. This is one of the most offensive parts of the leftist agenda, at least half the country would refuse to accept this. Not one red cent.....not one

The leftists don't even know what they're doing. Or maybe they do.

In right wing circles the talk is about actions which are "accelerants" to implementing their worldview (for example, the mosque shooting in NZ, meant to inflame Muslims to kill even more people in the west, which always hardens opinions against them... thus escalating the chance of actual armed conflict against them in the west).

Perhaps the leftsis are playing the same game and using these types of topics as escalators of the culture wars and identity politics divisions. And it's working:

"Speak of the Devil: How Demonizing Whiteness Spreads White Nationalism":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1sJgjG5AF4

Because the supply of actual Nazis and white racist bogeyman is in less supply than the leftist worldview that depends on them... they do a good job of helping to create white radicals through their rhetoric.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It would be a step in the right direction to healing America's original sin.

Let's hear the proposals before rejecting it out of hand.

Question, a step in the direction implies that more steps come after. At which point is it declared enough has been done to reparations for slavery over a hundred years ago and we all then can say move on along now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies