Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Personally, I think people of German-Speaking origin deserve a national musuem. Why are they being ignored?
They have one already. Oops - you assumed wrong.

German-American Heritage Museum is the only national museum to celebrate, display, and commend the achievements of immigrants who came from German-speaking countries and achieved the American dream...represents the 400-year presence of German-speakers, who came to America, starting in the 1600s.

https://washington.org/find-dc-listi...eritage-museum

Same for Polish and Irish and Italian others.

https://www.polishmuseumofamerica.org/

Welcome to THE IRISH AMERICAN MUSEUM OF WASHINGTON, D.C.

https://www.italianamericanmuseum.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
If people of Spanish-Speaking origin think that their 40 year history as a ethnic minority group merits a national museum, they should fund it themselves, and not try to force it politically through legislation.

If I invent that all Eastern Europeans are a minority group tomorrow and call them "slavics", should they get the same funding?
Forty years history?

You really, really don't know your American history do you? But then, maybe they should have a museum in Washington "celebrating" the undereducated. I am always shocked how many in Florida really have no idea where Montana is, which to me should be as basic knowledge as 2+2=4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Put walls around it and call it mexico. Go home scum bags.
Some people love wearing their xenophobia on their sleeves. Or perhaps their hoods?

Quote:
They just made that up though. They came up with large statistical numbers only because "hispanic" is a meaningless designation. The 18% figure is literally all people who are related to a person that once spoke Spanish. Most of them are simply white! - not real minorities.
I guess being from a Nordic extraction is just make up, right?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Forty years history?
Yes, nobody was ever "hispanic" before the Reagan administration. There was no concept of such a group at all. They didn't exist.

They invented that people were "hispanic" with the stroke of a pen in an executive order. It's that contrived.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:23 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
"Latinos", the 40-year-old politically fabricated minority group, want to legislatively mandate a national museum.

National Museum of the American Latino Act would create a new Smithsonian museum

They are only interested in this because the African American museum recently opened. This happens every time there is a documentary/film/memorial about black people - "Latinos" complain "why are always talking about the blacks", and protest to pencil themselves into the story. And as usual, they bolster statistics to imply that they are more relevant than other minority groups and should get the same funding and attention.

Now they want to politically force the creation of a Museum:

If such a museum were created, it would doubtless be filled with ridiculous revisionism that re-writes american history pretending that Spanish people were minorities.

I don't see anything wrong with it. There are plenty of ethnic museums around the US.

The thing I have a problem with are revisionist history museums like the Smithsonian American History Museum. Their displays and presentation of history is a distorted, liberal, politically correct revision of US history. It is really an embarrassment for anyone who knows anything about US history. Based on the information there, one would think that the Tuskegee Airmen and the Japanese Nissei unit single handedly won WW2, and that all of WW1 was an event no more important than the discovery of peanut butter. It is an abortion of actual US history.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The thing I have a problem with are revisionist history museums like the Smithsonian American History
The "Latino" museum would be just revisionism.

It would all be stories about how Spanish people were breaking racial barriers in the Jim Crow Era.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Not an issue in and of itself but wonder how that would work. “Latinos” being a newer ethnic category made up of diverse people. Wonder how the various perspectives and experiences would be balanced.

For example, the average Argentinian in 1945 vs. the average Dominican. Guess you tell it all.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
El Museo del Barrio NYC just one of many was founded 50 years ago

Old 06-23-2019, 01:15 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
El Museo del Barrio NYC just one of many was founded 50 years ago
That’s in NYC...so is it more Puerto Rican and Dominican geared though? I looked it up and my girl on the front page has an beautiful Afro. I love it but just wondering how that might go down with the Mexicans...lolol.

J/k...sort of.

Again, just wondering how the balance would be struck among the various Latino groups as far as emphasis in this museum...

Old 06-23-2019, 01:22 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
They just made that up though. They came up with large statistical numbers only because "hispanic" is a meaningless designation. The 18% figure is literally all people who are related to a person that once spoke Spanish. Most of them are simply white! - not real minorities.
Latinos however, are from this geographic area and they are a mix of white and Amerindian and called Mestizos. So no, they aren't simply white.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Latinos however, are from this geographic area and they are a mix of white and Amerindian and called Mestizos. So no, they aren't simply white.

Oldglory, you are old enough to remember when Mexicans were white. No notion of a "hispanic/latino" minority group existed in the 50s/60s when you were a young man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies