Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:09 PM

813 posts, read 600,699 times

Advertisements

Holy cow! Unions, MAFIA, Congress, and state government all in the same post! Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You misunderstand me.

I've said several times that I don't care about the obese guy or the system. I care about myself. I'm not questioning the current system because I care for the system. I question it because I care about fairness to myself.

Regarding lifespan, I plan on living forever.
BS. Earlier, you said:

Quote:
I agree with this point. There are unlucky circumstances. A number of years ago, I was hit with a rare condition. Purely genetic that I inherited. Wasn't cheap to get treatment for it.

That said, many of the healthcare costs these days are bogged down by preventable diseases associated with obesity.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
My husband and I have almost perfect driving records. And because of that, our auto insurance is lower than typical.

We are health freaks. We workout at the gym almost everyday of the week. We are very mindful of what we eat. We are both very active adults. Our blood tests always come back exactly what a healthy adult should be. His body fat percentage is 10-12% while mine is 13-14%.

So, why do we pay the same premiums for our health insurance as people who are morbidly obese?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down fat people at all. I believe in freedom of choice. If people want to be fat, then more power to them.

But how come insurance companies never put one's healthy lifestyle (or the lack thereof) into account?
Wait until you are in the government healthcare system and the drug addict suffering his fifth od this month is a higher priority in every regard.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Quote:
My husband and I have almost perfect driving records. And because of that, our auto insurance is lower than typical.

We are health freaks. We workout at the gym almost everyday of the week. We are very mindful of what we eat. We are both very active adults. Our blood tests always come back exactly what a healthy adult should be. His body fat percentage is 10-12% while mine is 13-14%.

So, why do we pay the same premiums for our health insurance as people who are morbidly obese?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down fat people at all. I believe in freedom of choice. If people want to be fat, then more power to them.

But how come insurance companies never put one's healthy lifestyle (or the lack thereof) into account?
It's called an HSA plan...

Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That makes no sense. Insurance companies maximize profit by decreasing costs.
End of life care is different because of the Medicaid scam the government runs.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is true.

When I was in my 20s I worked as a customer service manager in a call center for a telecom company. They outsourced our jobs to Canada and one of the reason was because they didn't have to pay for healthcare benefits there so would save money. They also paid them less per hour than we were getting paid at the time, but said the healthcare costs would disappear in Canada so it was lucrative for them to move.

I think most conservatives don't understand how health insurance being forced to be provided by commercial organizations actually is a financial burden to them. I'd rather get an extra $500 a month in my check and use Medicaid or Medicare versus pay for private group health insurance.
Well, that was really dumb because what they saved in health care premiums they probably paid out in increased taxes. This stuff isn't free!

Which was probably the real reason.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
No it's not. By law if you're driving you need to have auto insurance.
That's not what I was referring to and you know it. Re-read the conversation.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I never got a break on auto insurance and had a perfect record for about 60 yrs. I learned how to shop around and would find lower rates and then before I knew it, hit with increases...this was a constant. I've given up my car due to a knee issue and don't trust myself and boy am I saving money here.

What I would spend on a supplement to my Medicare I spend on supplements to keep healthy and STAY OUT of the doc's offices...once a year I go to check in for refills to 2 meds...and I'm 81 soon.

And I eat very well but who is perfect and what is perfect....

Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
I think it would be a great thing if it were more common. However, I could see certain parts of the country claim butter consumption was a religious belief or some other justification.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because they are not allowed to charge vastly different premiums based on proper actuarial science?

A morbidly obese smoker, for example, should pay ~10-15x as much per month for their health insurance as you do.

But since ObamaCare and "community pricing" and caps on premium differential between groups, insurers are not allowed to operate according to mathematics, but must operate according to emotion as projected by government busybodies.

So basically, because of government intervention, insurance is priced around the most illogical, unreasonable and unprofitable model possible.

You know those "fat acceptance" and "thin privilege" idiots who talk about the country having a "fat tax?" They are right, but not in the way they think they are. There is a fat tax in the US, and you, your husband, and everyone like you pays it on behalf of fat people. You pay more for your healthcare and insurance tan you should in order for them to pay far less than they should, and you do so because the government demands it.

Welcome, my dear lady, to government "helping."
If insurance companies based their charges on actuarial science, health insurance would be higher for women then for men, since they "use" (go to the doctor) more than males do. At one time we had a free market system where such things were looked at and people that cost the insurance companies more paid more. Obamacare put an end to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies