Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Here's article on opinion: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...csp=chromepush

By ruling that the US Constitution does not allow federal courts to hear partisan gerrymandering cases, the Court has, in effect, upheld partisan gerrymandering, though to be clear there is no right to partisan gerrymandering. The rest is semantics

There is no place in the US Constitution, for the federal government to be involved in internal State issues.
It was the correct ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
We already debunked the "one party does it" meme a long time ago.

Maryland and Illinois (in Chicago) are just two hillarious examples.

I oppose ALL gerrymandering, but we have some frankly un-American people that not only embrace it they want to take it a step further by curtailing it only for their political rivals.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are not correct on that. In fact you are simply making up nonsense based on assumption and posting it as fact.

That snake district was court ordered to be created to insure that an African American wins the seat. It doesn't exist now, but that WAS District 12 in NC. It was drawn that way to put enough Blacks in one district to make it possible. It snaked along I-85 and linked up all the Black neighborhoods in Charlotte & Greensboro which are more than 90 miles from each other. During this time the District was represented by Mel Watt, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

District 12 has since be redrawn again to create an African American district, and in the process of doing that, created the mess that surrounds District 9. My house has not moved, but it has been in both districts. Today that district is still represented by a member of the Congressional Black Caucus. It otherwise would not be so, without the necessary gerrymandering to make it possible.
I am with you. I believe Gerrymandering is wrong, just wrong!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Won't end being shifted around for ya. If the GOP pollsters determine that in order for your district to vote in a Republican, the district has to be shaped like a snake, and you are at the tail of that snake, you may have to drive many miles to vote!

Attachment 212257
America's most gerrymandered congressional districts
Washington Post

If you ask me, and you didn't.
Districts should run along county lines, and or natural land marks.
Forget this trying to figure out who is likely to vote one way or another. We end up getting someone representing us, that is almost 800 miles away from the issues locally.
The lines they have in and around Austin, look like a pinwheel, and only modified very little since the Democrats ruled the south and created them.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is no place in the US Constitution, for the federal government to be involved in internal State issues.
It was the correct ruling.
I agree, though to be clear I think the Supreme Court's decision would allow for either Congress or the states to legislate on the issue; its only that federal courts can't get involved in what is a political question! What gets me are the activist judges who were flouting Supreme Court rulings earlier on when they would strike down these partisan gerrymanders.

There is a legitimate debate over the appropriateness of partisan gerrymandering. But this is an issue best left with the people and their representatives.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are not correct on that. In fact you are simply making up nonsense based on assumption and posting it as fact.

That snake district was court ordered to be created to insure that an African American wins the seat. It doesn't exist now, but that WAS District 12 in NC. It was drawn that way to put enough Blacks in one district to make it possible. It snaked along I-85 and linked up all the Black neighborhoods in Charlotte & Greensboro which are more than 90 miles from each other. During this time the District was represented by Mel Watt, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

District 12 has since been redrawn again to create another African American district because the above was found to be unconstitutional. In the process of doing that, created the mess that surrounds District 9. My house has not moved, but it has been in both districts. Today that district is still represented by a member of the Congressional Black Caucus. It otherwise would not be so, without the necessary gerrymandering to make it possible.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Not again Republicans show their true colors the only way they can win is by cheating. They know fair elections mean Democrats win 85% to 90% of the time. Mcconnell and Trump have done a lot of damage that will take 50 years to recover from they both need to go ASAP

Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
I agree, though to be clear I think the Supreme Court's decision would allow for either Congress or the states to legislate on the issue; its only that federal courts can't get involved in what is a political question! What gets me are the activist judges who were flouting Supreme Court rulings earlier on when they would strike down these partisan gerrymanders.

There is a legitimate debate over the appropriateness of partisan gerrymandering. But this is an issue best left with the people and their representatives.

Actually the decision seems to remove the ability of Congress to make legislation on the issue. Congress can't override the 10th Amendment. And the court clearly stated that it's a 10th Amendment issue.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you ask me, and you didn't.
Districts should run along county lines, and or natural land marks.
Forget this trying to figure out who is likely to vote one way or another. We end up getting someone representing us, that is almost 800 miles away from the issues locally.
The lines they have in and around Austin, look like a pinwheel, and only modified very little since the Democrats ruled the south and created them.
I am in 100% agreement!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Not congress, unless it is an amendment to give the federal government any authority about it. Any legislation would be unconstitutional, with this ruling.
This is a State legislature thing and political lines are unprotected by federal involvement, unlike racial lines, where the supreme court would have been all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies