Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:40 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

What person these days think it's ok to fly a Confederate flag on your vehicle as a contractor doing business? Especially to a black family's house?

But that's what free speech is all about, you can do what and face any consequences.

I do agree with the comments though, if it was a Pride flag and the guy was turned away, there would be 'outrage' over the 'homophobic' bigot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/blac...194856544.html

Quote:
A black family fired an independent contractor they had hired for a job after he drove to their home with a giant Confederate flag affixed to his truck.

Allison and Zeke Brown of Atlanta, Georgia hired the man, whose name is Michael, to replace the brakes on their golf cart. When he arrived at their home on Saturday, an enormous rebel flag was attached to his truck

Old 07-02-2019, 04:42 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I mean, I can understand where the family was coming from. Me (and, yes, I am black), I would try to get a feel for the contractor before I took any kind of adverse action. Like it or not, the Confederate Flag is not inherently hateful or racist. If the contractor was professional and treated me with respect, he'd keep the contract. If I caught an inkling of disrespect or racist tendencies, his arse would be out the door.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:45 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
You don't see any difference between a Pride flag and a Confederate flag? Really?

Old 07-02-2019, 04:47 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Well anyone that flies a Confederate flag should know how offensive that flag is to blacks so no surprise that they fired him. I support the Contractor's right to fly the flag and the customer to fire him for it.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Always interesting to see what stories make national news and which ones don't.

Nobody hurt, no crimes committed.....but the races line up "correctly" so voila, it's news.

And then we get posters on this forum that when I tell them they have a perception bias about how common these things are and they claim they don't understand. lol.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:51 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well anyone that flies a Confederate flag should know how offensive that flag is to blacks so no surprise that they fired him. I support the Contractor's right to fly the flag and the customer to fire him for it.

^^^^This. Now the Original United States flag with thirteen stars may get the same treatment.

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What person these days think it's ok to fly a Confederate flag on your vehicle as a contractor doing business? Especially to a black family's house?

But that's what free speech is all about, you can do what and face any consequences.

I do agree with the comments though, if it was a Pride flag and the guy was turned away, there would be 'outrage' over the 'homophobic' bigot.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/blac...194856544.html
Good for her! I'd feel the same way about hiring someone who was a KNOWN racist or homophobe. As a matter if fact, I do wish that business owners who harbor these prejudices would have signs that read that they do not serve XXXs.

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I mean, I can understand where the family was coming from. Me (and, yes, I am black), I would try to get a feel for the contractor before I took any kind of adverse action. Like it or not, the Confederate Flag is not inherently hateful or racist. If the contractor was professional and treated me with respect, he'd keep the contract. If I caught an inkling of disrespect or racist tendencies, his arse would be out the door.
Thing is, if he was racist, he never would have done business with the Black family to begin with. But I also won't be surprised if this story is completely made up to try and stir more racist tension in this country.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Thing is, if he was racist, he never would have done business with the Black family to begin with. But I also won't be surprised if this story is completely made up to try and stir more racist tension in this country.
Possibly. Money makes some people do things they would not otherwise do. Then we have people who are racist who would take the job but do a crappy job because they are racist. I'm not saying that the contractor falls into this category. Just bringing up a possibility.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:02 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Possibly. Money makes some people do things they would not otherwise do. Then we have people who are racist who would take the job but do a crappy job because they are racist. I'm not saying that the contractor falls into this category. Just bringing up a possibility.
THat's the saddest part, is that people are judging a book by it's cover. The truck could have even been a loan from someone else for all we know. The guy could have been the nicest guy in the world. Or, if he was racist, the family could have shown compassion and love and make him realize that he is wrong for his racism, and maybe they could have made a new friend. But instead, they decide to jump on that "white man bad" bandwagon the first chance they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies