Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Why does everything have to be automatically recorded? And the video maker calling this a world top story is ridiculous. Since it was a practice or rehearsal the older lady could lighten up and not be so nasty, but the girls overreacting and crying and screaming obscenities didn’t help anything.
The young woman later posted on her Twitter that she had gone into the ladies' room for privacy so she could check on the condition of a dangerously ill relative, and that she was very emotionally vulnerable as a result of that. Evidently the older woman followed her in, cornered her, and let her have it. They were at church for a choir rehearsal, not any kind of service or performance. There is no dress code for rehearsals. Most Methodists are usually pretty-laid back and kindly towards others, unlike this harshly judgmental woman.

The pastor of this United Methodist church has written a letter to the congregation and the public, supporting the young woman and stating that this behavior was not Christ-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
People are addicted to outrage.
Some are addicted to hate and use fake outrage as an excuse to exhibit it.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
While I might agree that the girl was not dressed appropriately for church(can't see her so I don't know), the older woman who is reprimanding her is approaching it with the kind of attitude that will surely make young people want "none of that if that's what you call Christianity. That woman is out of place imo.

The older woman herself should know better than to wear sleeveless tops that show unsightly arms at her age if we want to start giving opinions on ugly sights.

Oh shoot. I scrolled down and see a photo of what I assume is the outfit the girl had on. While tacky for wearing to church imo, it does not look bad on her as far as her size is concerned imo.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I was sent to very strict parochial schools when I was growing up. So, no, I don't know that. There was physical, emotional, and mental abuse of children in the name of christ daily.
No, there was no abuse in the name of Christ. Don't put your judgment on Christ. Abuse, if there is truly abuse, is human failure and is no fault of Christ's

Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
That outfit isn't appropriate for church service IMO. But whatevs, not my business. It was probably embarrassing to be berated by the older woman and it could have been suggested in a nicer manner.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
The teen sounds mentally ill.

I personally understand where my body is less than ideal. And I am going to cover that part of me up.

And the girl in question looks pretty gross.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:29 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Wow. THis needs to be made racial somehow to make it a national story with ratings.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Again, I was forced to go to church while growing up. I always had to wear a nice dress to church. Never would I have been allowed to wear shorts, even if it was for something like a choir practice - not that I was part of a choir for church, but anything church related, no, we would never have been allowed to show up like that.

And my question, the entire time was: Do you really think God cares one bit what I'm wearing, or is God just happy that I'm showing up at all? And frankly, why do I have to even go to church to "worship" God? Shouldn't people who believe in God be doing that anywhere they are?

My mother told me we dressed up out of respect. Respect for who? The other church members? Shouldn't they be focusing more on the lesson of that day and not what someone is wearing? Who cares what they are wearing.

I still stand by that. I do think it's nice when people dress up for things simply because they look really nice - and you just can't go wrong when you look really nice, but, does anyone really think that a God is up there fuming because someone wore shorts?

Nonsense.

The girl should never have been confronted by some church lady. Church lady needs to go back to her Bible and read it again. It's not about her, it's not about her opinion, it's between that kid and her God, no one else. And then to call her fat...yeah, she is...but that church lady didn't need to open her pie hole to insult a teenager like that. They already have body image issues and self worth issues and are trying to figure out who they are. Insulting a teen like that is disgusting. Don't call yourself a church lady if that's how you act. Sit your butt down, zip your mouth shut, pick up that Bible and learn it this time.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yep, nonsense like that ^ is what starts many on the path to disbelief. God needs me to dress up? Really?

Old 07-02-2019, 11:32 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, I was forced to go to church while growing up. I always had to wear a nice dress to church. Never would I have been allowed to wear shorts, even if it was for something like a choir practice - not that I was part of a choir for church, but anything church related, no, we would never have been allowed to show up like that.

And my question, the entire time was: Do you really think God cares one bit what I'm wearing, or is God just happy that I'm showing up at all? And frankly, why do I have to even go to church to "worship" God? Shouldn't people who believe in God be doing that anywhere they are?

My mother told me we dressed up out of respect. Respect for who? The other church members? Shouldn't they be focusing more on the lesson of that day and not what someone is wearing? Who cares what they are wearing.

I still stand by that. I do think it's nice when people dress up for things simply because they look really nice - and you just can't go wrong when you look really nice, but, does anyone really think that a God is up there fuming because someone wore shorts?

Nonsense.

The girl should never have been confronted by some church lady. Church lady needs to go back to her Bible and read it again. It's not about her, it's not about her opinion, it's between that kid and her God, no one else. And then to call her fat...yeah, she is...but that church lady didn't need to open her pie hole to insult a teenager like that. They already have body image issues and self worth issues and are trying to figure out who they are. Insulting a teen like that is disgusting. Don't call yourself a church lady if that's how you act. Sit your butt down, zip your mouth shut, pick up that Bible and learn it this time.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies