Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as i said, not everyone will fit into your little mold that you think everyone should fit into. metabolisms are different person to person, body chemistry is different person to person, etc. what works for you, doesnt for the next person.

all i am saying that people need to be who they are, if you dont like it, tough. for example, one of the technicians at the dialysis center i go to is short, and 5'4" or so, and by your standards is obese, but she is a delightful person to be around. she is happy, easily amused, and has fun with life. and THAT is what i celebrate, not the unimportant things like how much they weigh, or how smart they are how dumb they are. those thing are not really that important. their character is though.

are they fun to be around? do they take life as it comes? do they refuse to let life get them down? these are the important things in life, not what they look like.
What is my "mold" and "my standard of obese"? Please explain my own opinions to me, as you seem very sure that you know what I am thinking.

You are confusing personality with fitness. And missing the ENTIRE point of this thread.

A person can be an a--hole or wonderful ... it doesn't change whether they are obese and unhealthy. Obesity will kill jerks and nice people the same way.

Do you want your wonderful friend to die? Or be healthy?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What is my "mold" and "my standard of obese"? Please explain my own opinions to me, as you seem very sure that you know what I am thinking.

You are confusing personality with fitness. And missing the ENTIRE point of this thread.

A person can be an a--hole or wonderful ... it doesn't change whether they are obese and unhealthy. Obesity will kill jerks and nice people the same way.

Do you want your wonderful friend to die? Or be healthy?

remember steve prefontain? long distance runner. had a healthy diet ran everyday, was considered the picture of health, well that picture DIED at age 38 from a heart attack. and he isnt alone either. people die of heath issues everyday, obese or not, so that argument is rubbish.

and by the way, both my father and grandfather had their first heart attacks when they were in their late 30s, my grandfather because he worked in the coal mines and suffered from black lung disease, and my father because he smoked two and half pack of cigarettes daily. i am now going on 61 years of age and i have NOT had a heart attack yet, it might happen in the future though, i dont know.

i ma overweight and i am diabetic, but it is well under control, my last A1C was 5.6, though for the last few years it has been closer to 5.2, can you say the same? my problems with my kidneys can hit ANYONE at anytime, it was due to a kidney infection. and i have sen plenty of what you would consider "normal" sized people in dialysis, and a lot younger than i am.

s again your health argument is rubbish.

now if you dont want to accept people for who and what they are, that is up to you. i on the other hand choose to accept people as they are. i try never to shame people for being themselves, as long as theyh are being honest with themselves and me.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:26 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
So, I was wondering, we have democrats who want to tax fattening foods like sodas because it's one of the root causes of our obesity epidemic, but at the same time, they also want fat people to be accepted like the Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Ashley Graham.

What's with these double standards? With democrats being all about the environment, universal health care and well being of everyone, wouldn't they also want to make sure that we are not glamorizing obese people, since it is very unhealthy to begin with?
Fattening (cheap food) is usually consumed by a lot of recipients of welfare, and EBT checks.

So eventually, the tax payer will have to pay more out of their pocket to increase the dollar amount on EBT checks so that welfare and EBT recipients could eat sufficiently. They are not going to decrease the amount of fattening food input. They will simply demand higher dollar amount on those EBT checks.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Democrats tax. Republicans borrow from China.
And run deficits like there's no tomorrow.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times
There's a difference between "wanting them to be admired" and "not wanting them to be shamed".

Old 07-03-2019, 11:45 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
remember steve prefontain? long distance runner. had a healthy diet ran everyday, was considered the picture of health, well that picture DIED at age 38 from a heart attack. and he isnt alone either. people die of heath issues everyday, obese or not, so that argument is rubbish.

and by the way, both my father and grandfather had their first heart attacks when they were in their late 30s, my grandfather because he worked in the coal mines and suffered from black lung disease, and my father because he smoked two and half pack of cigarettes daily. i am now going on 61 years of age and i have NOT had a heart attack yet, it might happen in the future though, i dont know.

i ma overweight and i am diabetic, but it is well under control, my last A1C was 5.6, though for the last few years it has been closer to 5.2, can you say the same? my problems with my kidneys can hit ANYONE at anytime, it was due to a kidney infection. and i have sen plenty of what you would consider "normal" sized people in dialysis, and a lot younger than i am.

s again your health argument is rubbish.

now if you dont want to accept people for who and what they are, that is up to you. i on the other hand choose to accept people as they are. i try never to shame people for being themselves, as long as theyh are being honest with themselves and me.
I suggest you contact every health organization on the planet and let them know this. They seem to be woefully ill-informed. They, supported by decades of research, think being overweight/obese? Not so good for your health. Advise against it.

You are still equating being fat with being nice. They are not one and the same. They are different.

Does your diabetes care if you are a nice person? Will it go away if you are super-duper nice?
Does your kidney infection care if you say please and thank you?

You are defending being unhealthy because YOU think it makes YOU a good person. And I think you are also in denial about your own health status and defending that too. "Under control"? Means you have a health problem.

Whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I disagree - they just need to stop eating to excess, get their calories from healthier sources, and just be moderately active.

The issue with these people is not that they don't take extreme measures to curb their weight, but that they don't take even take moderate (normal) measures to lose their weight.
^ This

It amazes me that people will take an elevator down one floor when it's right next to the stairs. I eat about 4000 calories a day but I'm active and don't even have to really think about my weight 5-10 195 lbs. If I want to lose weight I simply cut out something from each meal. Portion control and up my exercise.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Fattening (cheap food) is usually consumed by a lot of recipients of welfare, and EBT checks.

So eventually, the tax payer will have to pay more out of their pocket to increase the dollar amount on EBT checks so that welfare and EBT recipients could eat sufficiently. They are not going to decrease the amount of fattening food input. They will simply demand higher dollar amount on those EBT checks.
I'm not buying it. A 13 ounce bag of chips costs $3.89. A one pound bag of baby carrots or a head of lettuce costs $1.49. They just don't "taste" as good as the chips, so guess what the EBTers buy?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:53 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it. A 13 ounce bag of chips costs $3.89. A one pound bag of baby carrots or a head of lettuce costs $1.49. They just don't "taste" as good as the chips, so guess what the EBTers buy?
EBT is accepted at fast food places and liquor stores. Those places sure get a lot of business even being right next to a grocery store.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
EBT is accepted at fast food places and liquor stores. Those places sure get a lot of business even being right next to a grocery store.
Yep. The liquor stores HAVE to sell edible "snacks" (like bags of chips, etc.) to be able to accept EBT SNAP benefits. The scam everyone knows about is that liquor is rung up as those "edible snack foods" so recipients can use their EBT SNAP benefits to buy liquor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies