Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 02:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm left wondering as to what country the right decided to use as a comparator to determine that America was no longer great. Trump's two current favourites are both dictatorships.
That’s what I wanna know too.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:23 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
The country is absolutely great. The leadership, not so much.

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Many liberals seem to think that before Whitey messed rhings up all people in the world were holding hands and singing by the camp fire. In reality Whites have done more than any other group to end slavery, expand women's suffrage and gay rights. People of European heritage are judged by their worst moments against everyone else's best moments.

Well when people realize they are not doing themselves any favors, they try hard to change things in their favor. No one else other than Europeans have any best moments to speak of according to all written accounts.

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
11 Things That Other Countries Do Better Than America

4. Norway: Prison System

If I am thinking of committing some crimes I will put Norway on the top of my list of where I should move to.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:26 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Right Reverend Jeremiah Wright to express negative views on America before the Obama presidency (link to source, and here's a transcript): There's one, and that should drown out the "crickets."

These things the speaker mentioned made America great?

Old 07-04-2019, 02:32 PM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
name some countries that are better than US for opportunities and overall quality of life.
There is no other country that is better than the US, in more ways than one. For starters, we have different kinds of terrain that can be enjoyed by all. No other country has the vast oceans, climates and different terrain than we do.

There is no other country that is around where you can own a house in any parts you wish, it just takes hard work. I know family and friends in other countries where owning a home is now becoming a luxury because of the permits and licenses to build new ones is so expensive and hard to attain. You might have trouble here in the US finding a home in the city, but there is nothing stopping you from getting a job in the country where the houses are cheaper. You may have to sacrifice a public transit system or an ocean view, but at least you have the options.

No other country can you go from being dirt poor to a millionaire. I know many immigrants who came here and worked hard, and now own their own businesses. That is the American dream. Sure, you might be able to do this in other countries, but if it was so easy in other countries, then the immigrants would be flocking to those places and not the US.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
There is no other country that is better than the US, in more ways than one. For starters, we have different kinds of terrain that can be enjoyed by all. No other country has the vast oceans, climates and different terrain than we do.

There is no other country that is around where you can own a house in any parts you wish, it just takes hard work. I know family and friends in other countries where owning a home is now becoming a luxury because of the permits and licenses to build new ones is so expensive and hard to attain. You might have trouble here in the US finding a home in the city, but there is nothing stopping you from getting a job in the country where the houses are cheaper. You may have to sacrifice a public transit system or an ocean view, but at least you have the options.

No other country can you go from being dirt poor to a millionaire. I know many immigrants who came here and worked hard, and now own their own businesses. That is the American dream. Sure, you might be able to do this in other countries, but if it was so easy in other countries, then the immigrants would be flocking to those places and not the US.
Where to start?

You don't own the oceans.

Many countries have access to oceans, and even some, like Canada, with longer coastlines.

Terrain. The US is very diverse in that regard, but other countries, like China, are extremely diverse as well.

Home ownership is higher in Canada, however home ownership isn't really a good measure of " better ". Many cultures see renting as normal, and have no wish to own.

So all these millionaires, and billionaires in other countries who came form nothing, don't exist? J.K. Rowlings may disagree as our very own Jimmy Pattison here in BC.

Upward mobility is actually better in many other places.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aparnam.../#372adc3a6a7b

Your post to a non-American sounds like pure propaganda. I've actually met Americans that think like you, and it's odd, and slightly scary.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Here’s how you know America is the best place on earth. There isn’t a single country in the world that has positive net migration against us. America has the lowest rate of outmigration in the world and one of the highest immigration rates ie. No one wants to leave and everyone wants to come here. Even in the small Northern European countries they mention as being the best 3.5 times more people migrate to America than migrate there from America. Not to mention the record numbers of people risking their lives, even putting their children’s lives at risk to try to migrate here.
https://mises.org/wire/3-times-many-...her-way-around
There could be a few reasons for this.

One that pops into my mind, is that most Americans are very insular. They don't leave, because they don't know what is really outside it's borders.

The other issue is that unless you renounce your US citizenship, you must still file income tax for the US.

Over 8 million non-military US citizens live abroad...and it' growing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/more...-us-heres.html

Old 07-04-2019, 02:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
The massive migration we are getting from the south is driven largely by the violence and corruption in their home countries. It is not so much that people come here from El Salvador because America is the land of milk and honey, it is that they can raise a family here without fear of extortion by local gangs and corrupt police. I feel badly for those people and while I don't think we should open our borders to anyone and decriminalize illegal immigration, I do think we need to help people as best we can. We are rich, we can afford to do it.

America is a great nation, so in a sense this is a silly thread. I think we all believe it is. Conservatives tend to be a bit jingoistic and will never say anything bad about America and Libs think we can always do better so self-critique is healthy. But we are in real danger of letting our greatness slip. This administration is definitely taking a more autocratic stance than perhaps any other President. Autocrats favor oligarchy, which leads to massive corruption. That is not making America great again. It is pushing it toward a Russian style oligarchy. Trump has conned many Americans into thinking he is for them. He is not, he is for Trump.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:14 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That's largely because the US holds all of its citizens hostage through income tax. Once you are a citizen, you pay income tax to the US regardless of where you live in the world. This is true even if you live full time in another country and pay income tax to it. The only way out of it is to renounce US citizenship, which costs $5000 and is a lengthy process.
Wrong. It’s because of good governance, strong rights/personal liberty, opportunity. Has nothing to do with tax laws. Nearly every country in the world does this in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies