Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,498,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Waiting in three lines to get bread. Waiting in lines to get toilet paper, 10 years waiting to get the car you just paid for?
Sounds like the green new deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,391,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Guess what?Life was better under Saddam Hussein, too. Ask the Iraqi's.
And the people who attacked Iraq are the same ones who started the Soviet Union. Thanks for making a good point for a change.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We went over as exchange students in the 90s.

EVERYONE said life was better under the USSR.

Of course they did. When the countries became independent, multiple interdependent industries collapsed, leaving tons of people out of work. Not only that, the mafia had quickly taken a stranglehold.
My husband had half siblings in Ukraine. His parents sponsored a visit in the early 90’s, after independence. They both held opinions that they had more opportunities and freedoms under Soviet rule for the reasons you mention. Although anecdotal, it’s quite possible that everyone this professor has met said life was better under the USSR.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM

4,666 posts, read 1,960,100 times
i have a friend who was raised in Russia during the Soviet era. She remembers growing up and having to spend the summers on her family farm canning vegetable if her family didn't they wouldn't have them for the year. There was no choice. She remembers empty shelves and most telling to this day won't talk politics. She has memories of people just disappearing who were too vocal. She loves the Russian people but even today is disgusted with the amount of corruption there. Which may be why so many look favorably on the past. Nostalgia is sometimes a powerful illusion.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 AM

9,473 posts, read 10,823,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can believe that life in Russia was better under Gorbachev than under Putin.
Gorbachev was a good man trying to reform his country. No doubt life was better under him than it is under Putin. . However when we talk about the Soviets we are largely talking about the leaders previous to him. Right up until Gorbachev took power in the mid 80s the Soviet leaders were brutal hard liners who imprisoned their opponents, restricted basic freedoms and enforced an economic system that only provided a near subsistence existence for most soviet citizens. Of course then there was the whole cloud of nuclear destruction hanging over us. I grew up during the Cold War, the idea of nukes falling out of the sky was ever present. The movie Red Dawn was not just entertainment, people really feared that kind of thing would happen, really the plot of that movie was tame compared to what a full scale war with the Soviets would have looked like.

Those who think the Soviets were ok are not old enough to remember AND they have not read enough history books. President Reagan was right when he called the Soviet Union an evil empire.

Last edited by danielj72; 07-11-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
She probably hates Oligarchy and Crony Capitalism and Klepocracies too. So do I.
Why aren't you in Russia then?

Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,997,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It would be nice to have the quote in context:

“Every single person I have I [sic] asked in Central Asia (and Eastern Europe) over the past decade and a half has said life was better under the Soviets -- 100 percent,” O’Dell tweeted on Tuesday."

I guess one would have to go to Romania or such to find out....I can't say I know....and, remember, they are talking Soviets....so what are they saying?

Are they saying that life under the Soviets was better than life under "just some Putin influence" as is not the case in some of those places???

One would need a lot more information to suss out such a tweet.

It is fact that Putin and MANY Russians look to the Soviet Era as what they want to see reborn....and Stalin is becoming popular again. So Putin and the majority of Russians that support him are definitely not big into the Western Enlightenment or our style of capitalism.
I was in Moscow in 1988 for a short time and was amazed to see people standing in blocks long lines for toilet paper and potatoes.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,785,638 times
She’s an idiot, simple.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,909,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Spend 53k to learn that life was better under the Soviets, then you graduate and land a job that barely pays $10/hour?
The absurd claim was in a tweet, so nobody spent a single penny on anything.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,698,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Waiting in three lines to get bread. Waiting in lines to get toilet paper, 10 years waiting to get the car you just paid for?
No doubt.....but you had some idea that (most) everyone was suffering with you and you thought that once things fleshed out they might be better, etc. etc.

Free education if you qualified - at the highest levels (doctors, scientists)......

Now the people in the villages see the Benz and Rolls Royces and the private jets and read all the same stuff we do about the Oligarchs.

One would have to be in both shoes to wonder which is perceived in which way.

Remember, they lost about 1/2 of their population....so that's a shock to the soul...thinking you have an Empire that you sacrificed 20-30 Million citizens for and then it goes away.

People are not just based around money. Today the world IS smaller and most people know what is going on.

If we take the average person, would they be happier if they were lower-middle class and everyone else was also (say, like S. Philly where my family was).....or, would they prefer to be solid middle class and see vast numbers of others in private jets and mansions, knowing that those people stole it because of who they know?

Hard to answer - never the less, the OP shows bias and a lack of understanding of history, culture and current events. The Prof - idiot for even using Twitter. Complex ideas cannot be communicated that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies