Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

Whether you like or hate Trump, one thing is certain (at least to me) is that with him in the White House I have never seen more controversy before.

I say that though with nothing measurable, but more of a simple observation, because I'm not entirely sure it's true or as bleak as so many paint it. If it matters to this post, personally I do not like Trump.

I believe throughout this countries history since our first president, there has always been opposition, and always been a country divided in beliefs. The absolute main difference between now and the past is technology, specifically social media. The mainstream news media doesn't help, as there are networks who lean left, who lean right, and very few actually sit in the middle.

Every blink of Trumps eye is broken down with tweets (something Trump himself helps fuel with his hot Twitter finger), the news jumping in and analyzing every eyelashes move. I know this goes back with Obama and Bush etc, but it's just so prevalent now. I was born in 1960 so there is centuries of US history before I came around. But since the days of Kennedy, there has always been citizens protesting about government and social and economic issues.

I don't ever see this train ride ending. I think it will always be the same. Trump just appears to be the biggest poster child of controversy this country has ever had, but does it truly mean this country is the worst it's ever been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
The issue is that today, a sizable portion of Americans believe that to be American is to be white, heterosexual, and a conservative Bible Believing Christian. It's to believe in a strictly enforced patriarchal order. It's to believe that the ideal society is the one depicted in shows like Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, and the Andy Griffith Show. They believe that life was better before the sexual revolution and before the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The ruling party, the GOP, holds to those ideals. It is becoming more and more evident that the party is even wiling to let our entire system crash and burn if they can't have their 1950s white Christian utopia. The ironic thing is that the issue Jesus actually addressed in the Gospels don't seem to matter to these conservatives. It's all about rigid enforcement of social hierarchy and gender norms. It's all about silencing anybody who dares to challenge these norms.

Right-wing authoritarianism is what is really ripping this country apart. It goes way back before Obama or Bush. It started when Reagan courted Jerry Falwell to win the 1980 election and then it kicked into overdrive when Newt Gingrich was speaker in the 90s. The Obergefell v Hodges decision in 2015 was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think we can move past this if younger generations actually vote in 2020. If not, this may be the undoing of our country.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:49 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Trump is not the problem but the symptom of a broken political system. Trump was able to beat out several qualified candidates with his simple message that resonated with voters. The alternative was to vote for the same ol same ol and worse in Hillary.

The OP is right that the mass media is to blame for inflaming every bat of Trumps eye to outrageous outrage. Case in point the 2 scoops of ice cream. The media has whipped the masses into a frenzy with their propaganda where even if there is good news out of the WH it is spun into something bad. The Dems certainly don't help with their own doom and gloom of the economy and racial injustices when the fact is the economy is chugging along and the only minorities that are suffering are the ones that play into the Lefts victim politics.

Politics has become such a game of he said she said and magic tricks of the old bait and switch.

The media is so firmly owned by the Left that if Trump is voted out in 2020 whomever replaces him will be put up on a pedestal and we will never hear a bad thing about them from the media.

It is all about perception.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
With our population bigger now than ever before, I would argue the U.S. is the most divided politically that has ever been.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The issue is that today, a sizable portion of Americans believe that to be American is to be white, heterosexual, and a conservative Bible Believing Christian. It's to believe in a strictly enforced patriarchal order. It's to believe that the ideal society is the one depicted in shows like Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, and the Andy Griffith Show. They believe that life was better before the sexual revolution and before the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The ruling party, the GOP, holds to those ideals. It is becoming more and more evident that the party is even wiling to let our entire system crash and burn if they can't have their 1950s white Christian utopia. The ironic thing is that the issue Jesus actually addressed in the Gospels don't seem to matter to these conservatives. It's all about rigid enforcement of social hierarchy and gender norms. It's all about silencing anybody who dares to challenge these norms.

I think we can move past this if younger generations actually vote in 2020. If not, this may be the undoing of our country.
Opinion:
Our Country is largely Christian and not changing anytime soon.
( Christian values or its ideology for non religious ) is the glue that keeps families together.
If Family value and religious beliefs are cast aside deep despair follows as is seen daily by
the reckless attitudes and beliefs of our new ,young and emerging generation.

You may candy coat this in whiteness,conservative,religious and patriarchal evils that you believe
but one fact remains. Don't waste your time setting rules. They have been in place for years and we
have been following them. Take the time to get your house in order before you invite the neighbors.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 07-20-2019 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 05:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Whether you like or hate Trump, one thing is certain (at least to me) is that with him in the White House I have never seen more controversy before.
Only in our lifetime. Across the albeit short history of our country, there is no reason to think it is worse than ever before.

Quote:
I say that though with nothing measurable, but more of a simple observation, because I'm not entirely sure it's true or as bleak as so many paint it. If it matters to this post, personally I do not like Trump.
I strongly dislike Trump. But he is a symptom, not the disease. But the trend of time tends to go in the right direction. I continue to hope.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:10 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Only in our lifetime. Across the albeit short history of our country, there is no reason to think it is worse than ever before.

I strongly dislike Trump. But he is a symptom, not the disease. But the trend of time tends to go in the right direction. I continue to hope.
I think I'm in your camp, although 'hope' is a diminishing commodity for me.

Donald Trump 'ain't pretty,' but the change agent is never the same ole, same ole, IMO, so his election was a referendum on shaking things up. People are sick and tired of the status quo, and the left has doubled down on their nonsense. Of course, I guess no one could have predicted how crazy this would all get.

I am greatly disappointed in moderate republicans who are nowhere to be found. What are they going to do, just sit around and wait for the next election cycle? I wouldn't vote for any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies