Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) How can anyone "fail" algebra at the college level...if so you're probably not college material in the first place.

2) Why is it being taught in a university? IIRC algebra was about 8th grade math class (right after geometry if memory serves me). Or are you talking about multivariate or higher-level, engineering-focused algebra?
College algebra is not the same as HS algebra.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I believe students from under-represented communities deserve special consideration for getting into college. The quality of school districts can so starkly contrast with one another that test scores are not apples to apples comparisons. If one student goes to a school where every student has their own laptop, class sizes are 20 students per class, and the faculty is consistent year-over-year, that student should do better than one who comes from a school where there is no wi-fi in the classroom, classes are 45 students per teacher, and the faculty changes over from marking period to marking period.

To be clear, under-represented communities in my mind are based primarily on class rather than any other demographic. I went to James Madison University in Virginia as an undergrad. There were in-state students from Northern Virginia who had higher test scores who didn't get in versus students from the Tidewater area (primarily black) and Appalachian area (primarily white) with lower test scores. The resources that NoVa kids had were far superior to those other VA regions - - I support having acceptance theory matching that.

Once students get in, however, every student needs to be graded on the same scale. So once students get to college, I'm against math, or any other subject, equity. Doesn't mean that there can't be study halls or math centers (built like a writing center) that students can go to for help, but in the classroom, all students need to be judged equally.
They already do. There is extra Federal money given to schools that have "issues".
There are also grants for computers.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:19 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Does that mean Math Test Scores are adjusted for the race, gender, and/or ethnicity of the student?
See: The adversity score in college admissions for your answer.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Believe me, I still teach grammar to my undergraduate students.

In 1970, only 30% of Americans went to college; now it is 70%. From that standpoint, some of them are not college material (and many of those will get filtered out).
Many are pushed into the CC's where you can't be turned down. Then they spend their first semester taking remedial classes which are HS classes taught in college for Math, Reading and Writing.

Close to 33% of those in CC's are taking remedial classes their first semester.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They already do. There is extra Federal money given to schools that have "issues".
There are also grants for computers.
Yes (as I talked about with my undergrad experience) - - and I believe that should continue. Even with the even-ing out, we know that not all school districts are functioning evenly (or fairly close to it), and that should be taken into consideration.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Yes (as I talked about with my undergrad experience) - - and I believe that should continue. Even with the even-ing out, we know that not all school districts are functioning evenly (or fairly close to it), and that should be taken into consideration.
If you had one single school and put all the kids in that same school you'd get the same test results.
I was rural and we had one elementary, one MS and one HS.
All the kids had the same teachers. Yet the test results breakdown was the same image as those of districts with multiple schools..some considered "good" and some considered "bad".

It's the parents/students, not the specific school, that determine good or bad.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And those "paths" are either correct or incorrect in their implication. Having something as either right or wrong drives the left insane. Thus they hate math and want to either turn it into a wishy-washy, touchy-feely bunch of nonsense, or shame it to irrelevancy. Unfortunately, all the hard sciences are dependent upon correct math. Most everything in life around them is heavily dependent upon correct math. That's going to be a problem for their "War on Math."
I think you’ve nailed it.

There seems to be a certain portion of the population that is deeply threatened by the idea of truth itself: in other words, that something can be objectively correct and something else can be objectively incorrect. Hopefully, none of those people are designing aircraft, bridges, nuclear power plants, etc.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM

They already did it to science. Now Math is on the chopping block.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
"Math equity" is now a term trumped up by the SJW/PC crowd referring to the growing insistence among math educators that teaching mathematics in classrooms comes with inherently biased racist methodology that must be addressed.

Furthermore, the SJW/PC crowd in favor of "math equity" stresses the importance of social justice warrior issues such as race, diversity, and gender when it comes to mathematics education.

According to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, "“It (Math equity) requires mathematics teachers to reflect on their own identity, positions, and beliefs in regards to racist and sorting-based mechanisms. It involves noticing students, learning about the worlds they live in, and building mathematics that comes from these worlds. And finally, it involves engaging other educators in partnerships to build equity-oriented communities."

More about how math is racist can be found in the article linked below:

Article
ACTUALLY - this is not a 'new' concept.

And it doesn't just apply to Math but teaching in general.

There is some truth.
It's like the book Pete and Jane - or whatever our first readers were -- they were based on a very specific lifestyle.

For many it was what we identified with as children but for many it was another world.

It's okay to recognize that and try to figure out how we can make education resemble the real world.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:54 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Wisconsin professor claims that the University of Wisconsin is pushing a race based diversity grading and professors inflate grades so that everyone scores well so that they don't have race grade inequities.

https://jonathanturley.org/2014/07/2...omment-page-1/
Isn’t that a racist way of saying they’re too stupid and need help to make grade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies