Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 03:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Why aren't reparations for native Americans being discussed? Where is the PC crowd on this issue??

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gy-reparations

Shouldn't all the white people go back to the countries where they came from so the natives can have all of their land back?
I stole nothing I bought and paid for my land. All these “they stole the land idiots can go pound their drums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Why aren't reparations for native Americans being discussed? Where is the PC crowd on this issue??

Shouldn't all the white people go back to the countries where they came from so the natives can have all of their land back?
How many natives are there in North America? What would their civilization be like without the necessary numbers to have an industrial, technological society?

Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM

43,137 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:

Elizabeth Warren said she'd give reparations to the Indians.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Can they name a single piece of land in this world that wasn’t first “stolen” from somebody else?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Hmmm. Well, American Indians as it stands are a special class. On the reservation they pay no taxes at all. State or federal. Medical care is free on the reservation clinic and they receive a monthly check. Housing is VERY cheap, like 100 dollars a month and they own the home.

Every Indian upon turning 18 receives a payment from the federal government for a substantial sum and a monthly payment from there on out if they live on the reservation. If they hold a job off the rez they pay federal income tax but get it back at the end of the year. It's a pretty sweet deal really.

I'd call it "reparations." That said many of the reservations aren't such great places. They have not been taken care of and alcohol and drug addiction are rampant. However it doesn't have to be this way. many other reservations are quite well maintained and very wealthy. It depends on the tribal government.

Reservations are like anyplace else regardless. There are good and bad areas. The large reservation near me here is like that. Overall off the state highway running through the place other than the smoke shop is not a good place for a non Indian to be though some areas are worse than others. There is one specific area that the tribal cops refuse to go. Whatever they do out there is up to them.

This area is the Traditionalist place. Such as it is. Mostly they are hyper violent drunks and drug addicts that profess to be "Back to the Land" types though they live in modern constructed housing drive cars and have all the other conveiniences . Though a lo of the houses have been butchered up pretty good with floors cut out to make fire pits and such so they don't have to pay for LP and electricity. Most have cell phones and such as well.

When the monthly checks hit they spend most of it at the smoke shop which is the only place of the rez to buy booze. There are no bars. There is a ton of agricultural land there with full water rights for irrigation fed by a large reservoir but most of it is burned up. Very little overall gets worked. A large area with what was brand new farm equipment is there and the tractors, swathers, balers etc sit there rotting having never turned a lick.

There are a scant few who do actually farm but compared to the land available and the amount of equipment that was available it is a pittance. These people just sell hay locally for small time horse and cattle operations. The place is a s***hole for the most part. The tribal government receives copious federal money for a lot of stuff. Drug and alcohol treatment, housing maintenance, infrastructure maintenance etc. But the money doesn't always get spent on these things. There's no accountability to the federal government.

I really don't want to hear about reparations for the Indians. They get money thrown at them right and left. If they don't spend it right that's on them.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:

I say give them San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
What we did to the 'American Indians' is terrible. As a white person, it is one of the things that shames me the most about my ancestors; and I do think that the tribes are entitled to some kind of reparations, and also some smaller payment to those blacks with at least a dozen direct ancestors who were slaves in the U.S. during the period of 1789-1865. I would also like to see the land encompassed by the Treaty of Hidalgo-Guadalupe returned to Mexico -- but that is mostly to get rid of California.

As an aside, people keep talking about how divided the U.S. has become, and I would actually like us to physically divide, also, with a line divided horizontally between the northern half and southern half of the U.S. I would gladly live and spend the rest of my life in the northern half.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Well, Native Americans came from Asia via the Bering Strait.

I am Asian.

Therefore, I am also Native American.

Hey Gov Newsome i’ll claim some prime real estate from Rancho Palo Verdes. I don’t need much just give me 10,000 sq ft

Old 07-16-2019, 05:14 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,168,005 times
Before the first europeans came to north america the tribes were in raging highly genocidal wars with each others!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM

30,073 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

They sold much of the land they occupied for trinkets, the rest via conquest. Many of the wars they lost were started by them- you play and you lose- pay the consequences.

Do you really think that the entire North American continent would still be occupied by stone age people and that the rest of the world would have just left them alone? SO in your mind, there would still be Indians living in tents and lodges, hunting buffalo with bows and arrows while the rest of the world live in the space age?????!!!! Wake up.

World history has been defined by conquest of one people over another. This is what EVERY people has attempted to do.

Only naïve leftists think that lands conquered in the past should be "returned" to anyone. Why? Because it costs them nothing.

I hope the left starts with CA. The Indians, after dealing with left wing loons for about a year, would give it back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies