Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why are white people so obsessed with race????
Because while Blacks represent a small percentage of the population, they commit the vast majority of crime, especially violent crime. Often against each other. But, that's OK, right?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think these cameras will do the opposite of what this English professor is imagining.

In my observation, people with surveillance cameras on their homes DO tend to believe the crimes are being committed by people of color. And construction workers. (Who, btw, seem to be great witnesses for solving daytime crime, not committing it).

Here you'll have it. You'll be able to SEE who is committing the crimes and solve the question once and for all. Is it people of color, or not? I would say the video wouldn't reinforce race barriers, but in many cases, knock them down. Nothing's worse than having crimes committed and you just have GUESS who is committing them.

BTW, some interesting things caught on Ring around here:

1. The dog walker didn't walk the dogs, but rather, let them out in the backyard for about 10 minutes

2. The three hour maid service only really stayed an hour and 15 minutes

3. There was strung-out looking guy who scaled a home's 2 story stone pillars like a monkey, and spent some time hanging out on the roof
The Ring doorbells around here mostly catch bears raiding trashcans or bird feeders. Oh. And visitors and deliveries. I like that we can alert our neighborhood about the bears.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The Ring doorbells around here mostly catch bears raiding trashcans or bird feeders. Oh. And visitors and deliveries. I like that we can alert our neighborhood about the bears.
Well, and there was that huge rat snake looking into the Camera, and also that guy who spent hours licking it. :-)

Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
But as more police agencies join with the company known as Ring, the partnerships are raising privacy concerns. Critics complain that the systems turn neighborhoods into places of constant surveillance and create suspicion that falls heavier on minorities.

<snip>

“Amazon is profiting off of fear,” said Chris Gilliard, an English professor at Michigan’s Macomb Community College and a prominent critic of Ring and other technology that he says can reinforce race barriers.

https://www.apnews.com/9371972bf7bf4f28949a6167a75b3c85

There are real, legitimate privacy concerns with these cameras, and the article does get in to some of those. But I'm sorry if these cameras are catching more minorities committing crimes, then more minorities are committing crimes. Unless there is an option for the cameras to only record when minorities come to your door? I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about that if it were the case.

The racial angle adds nothing to this story and in fact serves as a distraction. We don't always have to go "there".

It's the insanity of the moment, everything is proof of racism. Is it the people of our nation who have lost their minds, or is this just the news media trying to create the aura of racial tension by sensationalizing everything, to push the news?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
This reminds me of when the tv show Cops admitted that they "racially balance" the episodes to include white offenders because if they didn't America would think only minorities commit crimes.

Too bad they weren't in my hood when I was about 12. As a POC, according to State labels, I had to hold a white B&E perp on my own residence with a 12-gauge shotgun until the fuzz arrived.

I could have been a Hollywood star!

Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's the insanity of the moment, everything is proof of racism. Is it the people of our nation who have lost their minds, or is this just the news media trying to create the aura of racial tension by sensationalizing everything, to push the news?
Not sure who is the chicken and who is the egg here but even if it is media driven, people on twitter seem to be soaking it in like it's gospel, and they walk among us.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:14 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I'm glad AP news was able to get the keen insights on the issue from the community college english professor.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Nothing in the article states anything about minorities committing crimes. The article states:

" marketing its cameras by stirring up fear of crime at a time when it’s decreasing."

"....selling the cameras “where the fear of crime is more real than the actual existence of crime.” "

Yep. But it is so much more interesting if the thread throws in a little racism to make it fit their agenda better. There is nothing in that article about race, or banning them for that reason.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:20 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It plays on pre-existing fears and racial tensions that are already overblown by the media. The money agenda for the media is part of it...in terms of clicks...sure.

But the bottom line is narrative for the State. The media is an arm of the State and uses it to shape narratives for future confiscation of funds (what most of you folks call taxes). I suppose some regulation will be in order in some locales soon enough. Kickbacks to Leviathan to enforce code ensues. Freedom of association, freedom of movement, and private property rights will be knocked down a notch or two.

Same s*it, different day.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Yep. But it is so much more interesting if the thread throws in a little racism to make it fit their agenda better. There is nothing in that article about race, or banning them for that reason.
My quotes in the OP were directly from the article and they did indeed mention race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies