Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times

Advertisements

I’m usually one not to believe the race card but I feel it’s justified in this case. There was no justification for the guard to have drawn his weapon on the officer. Not only should he be fired, his gun permits should be pulled and he should face criminal charges.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
If the story is true? The video is there for all to see.
I watched the video. What does race have to do with it?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Cops are not allowed in armed, IRS, Social Security, etc. I saw one stopped from entering a soc sec office.
And did they pull a gun on the cop as he was leaving pointing it at his back?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m usually one not to believe the race card but I feel it’s justified in this case. There was no justification for the guard to have drawn his weapon on the officer. Not only should he be fired, his gun permits should be pulled and he should face criminal charges.
The security guard has been charged with aggravated menacing.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
In a situation like this it would make more sense to me for the uniformed officer to have his service weapon on his person. Not sitting in his patrol car waiting to be stolen. I can't think of any situation where a police office should leave his service weapon unattended in a car unless it was a rare high security type situation. But an IRS office?

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I watched the video. What does race have to do with it?
That’s the title of the article.

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Cops are not allowed in armed, IRS, Social Security, etc. I saw one stopped from entering a soc sec office.
O.K., I'll take your word for it but that tells me that the guards should not be rent a guard types.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Either way. The sheriff exited when asked to leave the gun outside. So the security guard was still in the wrong.
Maybe he "feared for his life"? The excuse has been used for less.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:15 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
synopsis of what I have gleaned from this event :

The police officer went to the IRS office to discuss and perhaps register a complaint about a letter he received from the IRS regarding his tax filing. This is information garnered from the first para of the news article.

Next we read that the security responded due to the counter person alerting him to the police officer's becoming abrupt or belligerent. I deduce this, perhaps mistakenly, by two references; one being the security guy demanding the cop leave his gun in his car and two by the 9/11 caller stating a man with a firearm refusing to leave the premises.

So I'm left thinking there was a slightly adversarial exchange between the IRS counter person and the police officer that triggered the call for the security guy to respond and that guy started off by demanding the cop leave or at the very least leave his firearm in his car before continuing any conversation with the IRS person.

I'm also thinking the police officer told him he could not disarm himself nor was he gonna leave without resolving his issue and that's when the 9/11 call was made and that's probably when the officer realized he'd gone a tad too far and decided leaving was the better course of action.

Now we have the security guy stating sorry, you can't just leave now because you refused when asked before so now we're going full on Rambo with you.

A bunch of bad choices made by all and sundrie made worse by an ill trained and reactionary personality ratcheting it up with the nonsensical gun-pulling and arrest attempt.

Security guy should have calmly and 'one badge to another' suggested to the officer that he'd get better results if he tried a different approach and perhaps come back another time as the counter person was not in a position to adequately deal with his particular problem. I'm left thinking that the officer got a little worked up at the counter and perhaps occasioned the IRS person becoming either frightened or fed up.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
In a situation like this it would make more sense to me for the uniformed officer to have his service weapon on his person. Not sitting in his patrol car waiting to be stolen. I can't think of any situation where a police office should leave his service weapon unattended in a car unless it was a rare high security type situation. But an IRS office?
Except it violates the law. You can't even take in a pocket knife. No exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies