Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 AM

14,337 posts, read 4,662,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'll try this one last time in a last-ditch attempt at actual discussion:

- Banning international travel/tourism and business would be disastrous for the US economy.

- Sure, increase CBP/ICE staffing. Pull from the DoD budget to do so.

- Abolish the entire 14th amendment? What about the bits regarding due process and equal protection of the law? There are other important parts, but those are the two big hitters.

- Arrest state governors on what charges?
and what are your solutions to deal with illegal immigration? I have no problem listing my solutions. Why aren't you tell us your solutions? Are you afraid of something?

I have no other solutions besides from the one I already listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,449,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
so, what is your solution to deal with visa overstayers?

i'm all ears.
I am not putting forth a solution. It is pretty straight forward that the problem is simply insolvable under the existing conditions.

So the first thing is to resolve the fate of the existing 11 million. I would suggest some form of legalization for the vast majority with deportation for the remainder. And it may well require doubling or more the enforcement arm and even greater increases in the judicial resource. The existing border patrol may well need to be ended but the succeeding organization will likely have to be much larger to contain the problem.

And again a consideration of a Federal ID. Historically resisted by the right not the left.

But all of this needs to be thought through and planned by a government body.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am not putting forth a solution. It is pretty straight forward that the problem is simply insolvable under the existing conditions.

So the first thing is to resolve the fate of the existing 11 million. I would suggest some form of legalization for the vast majority with deportation for the remainder. And it may well require doubling or more the enforcement arm and even greater increases in the judicial resource. The existing border patrol may well need to be ended but the succeeding organization will likely have to be much larger to contain the problem.

And again a consideration of a Federal ID. Historically resisted by the right not the left.

But all of this needs to be thought through and planned by a government body.
I'd like to know the "succeeding organization" and their plans on how to contain the problem of illegal immigration. How are they going to do it? more immigration raids? build a big wall?

be more specific

Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'd like to know the "succeeding organization" and their plans on how to contain the problem of illegal immigration. How are they going to do it? more immigration raids? build a big wall?

be more specific
First thing is reduce the illegal population to a sustainable number with the resource we are willing to provide for enforcement. The level to which it is reduced will be an outcome of the overall plan.

And all that needs to be part of the plan. I am not going to try and do any more detailed then that as you would need the planning resource of a government to have a hope of establishing something that will work.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
First thing is reduce the illegal population to a sustainable number with the resource we are willing to provide for enforcement. The level to which it is reduced will be an outcome of the overall plan.

And all that needs to be part of the plan. I am not going to try and do any more detailed then that as you would need the planning resource of a government to have a hope of establishing something that will work.
so if the government tells you this is their plan for immigration enforcement
-abolish 14th amend
-prosecute all state governors who harbor illegal aliens
-increase immigration raids

is that ok? or is that going against your agenda?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM

16,001 posts, read 6,689,488 times
Quote:
In fiscal year 2017 CBP received $341 million for the construction of approximately 40 miles of new Bollard Wall and gates in priority areas at the San Diego, El Centro, El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley Sectors. To this date, CBP has completed the construction of approximately 99 percent of the 40 miles funded in fiscal year 2017. Additionally, construction of 35 gates to close gaps in current border infrastructure in the Rio Grande Valley sector continues.
$54 per square foot for a 30 foot wall? That's actually a fairly reasonable cost. I was expecting more of a boondoggle.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
so if the government tells you this is their plan for immigration enforcement
-abolish 14th amend
-prosecute all state governors who harbor illegal aliens
-increase immigration raids

is that ok? or is that going against your agenda?
None of that would have any significant impact on the illegal problem. Simply absurd right wing political views which are going absolutely no where.

We need a plan that actually fixes the problem not that caters to the absurd end of the right wing.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 AM

6,625 posts, read 5,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Yet border crossings are down where these walls exist, as much as you claim how easy it is to defeat.
Lets take this two facts and see what we can deduce. "border crossings are down where these walls exist" and "construction of new miles of border wall completed"
If both those statements are true what should happen?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:27 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,739,751 times
All only with full Congressional approval (law)

E-Verify with TEETH for all employers of over 10 - include responsible for "offloading" employment by using 3rd parties (i.e. most companies hire a middleman to do dirty work).

Greatly expand guest worker problems, including to year-round (maybe a limit of two years...this will help the meat-packing industry, etc.). Expand a limited number of guest worker and green card programs for longer terms to satisfy certain needs. Track.

Build new computing center (easily possible these days) the function of which is to track the above.

Legal visitors with overstays...that one is quite easy because these people generally have to work if they stay...other methods easily available including voluntary GPS tracking is subjects desire a honest longer stay (up to 6 months).

Establish more realistic immigration quotas based on the current situation and the Will of the People (Congress) which are in line with our traditions and history.

Establish more laws federally and state which protect immigrants (legal or illegal) from abuse by employers....that is, employers won't be as tempted if they can't abuse their workers (low pay, no benefits, etc...is normal in these industries). Prices will likely rise as a result, but this is what the People claim they wish, so be it!

That is at least a 75% solution....to a problem which is, frankly, very regional. If we consider that 11 million "illegals" exist in this country and that is less than 4% of our population, even having a target of 50% of that in 10 years is a good move....because government and policy works slowly.

The alternative is what Republicans have been doing for decade (Since the Reagan amnesty program)...and that, refusing to do anything and then using it as a wedge issue.

The only slightly unfortunate side effect is that Big Gubment gets even bigger. But, let's face it, most Americans are already OK with giving up most of their privacy for the ease of getting through our modern complex world. None of this stops anyone from buying weed or using BC online to keep things fairly secret...or to use cash online or off, etc. etc....

In order to obtain order we do need to give up some "freedoms", but - again - it must be passed by the People and within the scope of the Constitution.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
None of that would have any significant impact on the illegal problem. Simply absurd right wing political views which are going absolutely no where.

We need a plan that actually fixes the problem not that caters to the absurd end of the right wing.
yeah right.

let's cut all the bull****. you really don't have any "plan" to enforce immigration law and our border. Your only plan is to do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies