Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Get off your device and then talk to me. I'll wait for your smoke signals.
That would cause air pollution. Carrier pigeons maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'forced to pollute more'?
maybe you can answer oldhag1's question since the OP skedaddled:
Sure, but this is not a simple answer. Ok, first--"force" does not mean they will be arrested if they do not comply--that is extremely literal. Maybe "pressure" would have been a better word.

The automakers made a commitment with the Obama admin, when they were bailed out, and have been working from that agreement since 2011, assuming America is moving forward, not backward.

Trump and some political appointees and most of all, BIG OIL, want to reverse Obama and are trying to set the regulations to have lower standards, so that cars would have worse mileage (i.e. use more gas, and more toxic emissions.

I suspect that the industry is integrated in the same way many industries are. The parts, where the parts come from, the standards, the processes, are probably standardized. So if they depart from the steady path they've been on for 10 years now, it will be like everything Trump presides over--chaos.

They'd have to spend money to comply with the new lower standards. Do you see that this makes no sense at all? Especially when other countries are surging forward with cleaner cars that cost less to run. Why use old technology when we have better technology?

California is not changing their standards, but Trump being the child he is, doesn't like it when people don't obey his dictatorial edicts, and he doesn't like that California is ignoring him in favor of their own rights. Below is a link to a very good article.

"in a blow to the Trump administration as it prepares to roll back national vehicle pollution standards and revoke states’ rights to set their own such rules."...

"...The White House held a call with automakers last month urging them to publicly support its rollback of Obama-era clean car rules...

...Joining the call were senior officials from EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, who told automakers to support the rollback or risk angering President Trump by siding with California's more stringent tailpipe emissions rules..."

...But since the call, not one automaker has issued a statement of support..."

...That begs the questions: If the automakers don't want the rollback, who does? And how did things get to this point?..."

...The answers are complicated, and they illustrate the perils of peeling back regulations without adequately consulting the main industry that stands to be affected...."

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060123559

Old 07-25-2019, 07:23 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you have to give Trump credit. He tried to cost us more, pollute more and make more money for the fossil fuel companies.

But it's not going to work because progress and productivity and efficiency will win the day! The Free Market Reigns, even as much as Trump tries to force it....

Canada, California and 4 major car markets are taking part in the initial part...

https://www.sfgate.com/hdn/hrlm/p/callback.html

24 State Govs signed on also - obviously representing a serious majority of US Auto Sales.

A Win for the Planet and Progress- a LOSE for Trumpians.

One more little piece of proof why we aren't seeing 10-15% in the stock market and a booming economy...Trump has no plan except "rollbacks" to pollute and cause more suffering. Companies need to have long term goals and plans to prosper.

My prediction is that the entire Auto market will climb on board if
1. The Trump admin doesn't change course
or
2. Trump get re-elected.

This pretty much puts his "dictatorial edicts" into the waste basket.
You need to study "state" and Federal authority.......report back

Old 07-25-2019, 07:48 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,125 times
Quote:
When I was living in Chicago, my now ex-husband and I recycled everything, and we had a compost pile in the backyard where we recycled our organic waste. As a result, we usually ended up with one bag of trash per week for four people. My next door neighbor--a Republican, naturally--laughed at us for recycling and composting and called us silly hippies, and actually bragged that his family of five filled two large cans and overflowed them every week. He often used our can for his overflow because our one little bag left most of the can empty.
Did he also tell you "this is MAGA country"?

Old 07-26-2019, 02:36 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,365,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Trump is betting on the wrong horse. The future of ground transport technology is electric vehicles. Even if the US is slow to convert, the remainder of the world will be moving forward and the US risks becoming outdated with its technology exports. Will we be "Great" then? Nope.
As if you knew what you were talking about. The current electrical supply grid cannot supply half of what it would take if we transitioned to EVs.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,696 times
Quote:
Truly. They care absolutely nothing for the planet.

When I was living in Chicago, my now ex-husband and I recycled everything, and we had a compost pile in the backyard where we recycled our organic waste. As a result, we usually ended up with one bag of trash per week for four people. My next door neighbor--a Republican, naturally--laughed at us for recycling and composting and called us silly hippies, and actually bragged that his family of five filled two large cans and overflowed them every week. He often used our can for his overflow because our one little bag left most of the can empty.

To this day, I can't figure out why he thought he was superior to us because he produced more garbage than we did. But he would fit right in on this site with all the other conservatives who simply don't give a damn about the planet.
This is why I will never understand liberals...because you think just because 1 Republican (ONE) makes fun of you for recycling that MUST MEAN ALL Republicans don’t recycle?!? What logic is that? Then to back it with Republicans care nothing about this planet.

Well this Republican has been recycling for over 20 years. And I’m sure there’s more than one of us who recycles.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You need to study "state" and Federal authority.......report back
He needs to study a lot more than that.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
As if you knew what you were talking about. The current electrical supply grid cannot supply half of what it would take if we transitioned to EVs.
Do you have anything to support that? We can make more electricity from wind and solar but there is no one making more oil. China is trying to end the sale of internal combustion vehicles by 2040 and the rest of the world will follow them because they are the world`s #1 market for automobiles.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:41 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
But go ahead and condemn others if it makes you feel better.
It seems to be one of their favorite pastimes.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:10 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,222,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You do realize that environmental regulation can become unreasonable, and counterproductive, not to mention OVERLY COSTLY, right?
Right, the regulations have become just *so burdensome * that now our corporate overlords are writing themselves new and even more burdensome ones. You just keep on parroting the corporate party line, though, like a good little tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies