Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 AM

7,962 posts, read 9,175,271 times

Advertisements

Typical click bait Yahoo article with little enough information to rile people up. I think I will wait for more information to come out why the boy was charged with assault before passing judgement.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 AM

672 posts, read 443,922 times
Child endangerment. Lock her up.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM

30,084 posts, read 18,694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The mother of the injured boy knew he had a medical condition susceptible to head injuries, and yet the boy still played dodge ball?

And three months later he's being charged??? Sure sounds sketchy to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/crit...191039356.html

What a wuss. The white kid's mom is out of control.

If the snowflake had a "medical condition" that made him so fragile he could not take a ball to the head, the mom should have had him sit out of PE.

"Racial attack"? It was dodgeball for Christ's sake! Anyone who has played highschool sports knows that there were "racial" taunts made all the time on a field of play in a variety of sports. It was expected and designed to encourage opponants to lose emotional and mental control. All of us have heard some pretty awful things said on an athletic field by people who are otherwise pretty nice guys. Heck......... I have heard black guys call black members of opposing teams all sorts of things.

Get over it- it is a sport and many sports are violent. Kids need to be exposed to this, as it is a learning experience and an understanding that life can sometimes be unfair and brutal.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,187,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Kind of sounds like a game we called suicide in the mid to late 80's as little kids.

Teachers eventually made us call it safe or wall ball.

It was played with a raquetball or tennis ball.
I vaguely remember that game. Ahhh, the good ole 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I agree and find this case disturbing. Based on the information provided, it is just plain wrong to charge this ten year old boy. Why give this kid a juvenile record for something children do every day? IMO, the mother of the “fragile” boy was negligent. If the boy being charged was too rough, sit him down and have a discussion with him. When I read about crap like this I am so glad I grew up when I did.
Yes, it’s the mother that needs to be charged. She is most informed regarding her child’s illness and should have instructed the school to keep him out of most or all sports. This makes me so upset. When I have children, I want them to be able to be children. As you said, sit down and discuss with the child if he was too rough or being mean, especially in sports. Teach them good sportsmanship. But criminal charges? Just crazy.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM

30,470 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The mother of the injured boy knew he had a medical condition susceptible to head injuries, and yet the boy still played dodge ball?

And three months later he's being charged??? Sure sounds sketchy to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/crit...191039356.html
Facts matter, if he intentionally tried to hurt the other kid and because of his race, then he is guilty of a hate crime and possibly assault.

Just because you are playing Dodgeball, you are not giving your consent for someone to try to hurt you.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:57 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,702,401 times
We're clearly only getting part of the story. *shrug*

Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM

21,166 posts, read 19,761,393 times
Might as well put every little boy in jail.

...with a helmet and padded walls.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,759,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What a wuss. The white kid's mom is out of control.

If the snowflake had a "medical condition" that made him so fragile he could not take a ball to the head, the mom should have had him sit out of PE.

"Racial attack"? It was dodgeball for Christ's sake! Anyone who has played highschool sports knows that there were "racial" taunts made all the time on a field of play in a variety of sports. It was expected and designed to encourage opponants to lose emotional and mental control. All of us have heard some pretty awful things said on an athletic field by people who are otherwise pretty nice guys. Heck......... I have heard black guys call black members of opposing teams all sorts of things.

Get over it- it is a sport and many sports are violent. Kids need to be exposed to this, as it is a learning experience and an understanding that life can sometimes be unfair and brutal.
This is the new America and that crap doesn't fly anymore. If the black kid used a racial slur before hurling the ball at the crippled kid's head then he should be treated the same way as a white kid who used a racial slur at a black kid would have. There was a tennis match not too long ago where a very mild insult with only subjective racial undertones(something about the black kid not knowing who his father was) was used by a white kid against a black kid and he was thrown out of the tournament and kicked off of the tennis team for good.

I understand your sentiment but we don't live in "get over it" America anymore, and it's not reasonable to expect white kids and only white kids to act as if they do.

We don't even know if a racial slur was used in this case but your response seemed to be assuming one was, so my response to you is in that context.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Facts matter, if he intentionally tried to hurt the other kid and because of his race, then he is guilty of a hate crime and possibly assault.

Just because you are playing Dodgeball, you are not giving your consent for someone to try to hurt you.
Therein lies the problem. When you play dodge ball, it's like a requirement that you get hurt, given the nature of the game!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,244,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
If the roles were reversed, the story would likely gain ever more coverage (White boy injuring a Black boy).

Nice try
Perhaps explain Mom's actions here of allowing a child susceptible to head injuries play Dodge Ball and not try to get racial about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies