Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

This is the second time that such an incident involving united pilots has occurred at Glasgow in recent years, in 2017, two United Airline pilots were jailed for breaching drink-fly limits at Glasgow Airport.

In 2017, First Officer Paul Grebenc, 35 of from Mississippi. (who was also a USAF reservist) was sentenced to 10 months in prison and his colleague Carlos Roberto Licona, 45 from Texas, was jailed for 15 months after being found to be more than seven times over the legal limit. Both had been arrested while preparing to take off from Glasgow on 27 August 2016.

Pilot Paul Grebenc jailed for drinking before flight - BBC News

Mississippi pilot sentenced for attempting to fly drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News - 3rd August 2019

Two United Airline pilots have been arrested at Glasgow Airport for allegedly failing a breath test before boarding a flight to New York.

The men, aged 45 and 61, have not been charged but remain in custody and are expected to appear before Paisley Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Police Scotland confirmed officers were called to the airport at 0735.

The men were arrested before boarding flight UA162.

It was expected to take off for Newark at around 0900 but was cancelled.

Pilots arrested at Glasgow Airport before boarding US flight - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-03-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 11:28 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
United Airlines used to be a good airline but they have really gone down the toilet. They have been in trouble for dragging passengers off the plane kicking and screaming because United wanted the seats for its own employees. I used to fly United a lot for business. I avoid it now.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
United Airlines used to be a good airline but they have really gone down the toilet. They have been in trouble for dragging passengers off the plane kicking and screaming because United wanted the seats for its own employees. I used to fly United a lot for business. I avoid it now.
There was a time when I, too, flew a lot. I was a "frequent flyer" before the airlines created the term. I was a field service tech for an oceanographic instruments company in San Diego (we made underwater TV systems and remote controlled vehicles for the offshore oil and commercial diving industries). I later moved up to the Marketing/Sales department, and still traveled a lot. I flew United more often than not. Kind of glad my flying days are over.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think all pilots should be routinely breathlysed, and the previous case was bad enough.

You expect the odd drink but seven times over the limit.

The details of those arrested today have not yer been released, but I exect another damaging and embrassing Court case for United.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
AI and robotics will soon solve this problem.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Fired, suspended, yes. But arrested? What are crime they guilty of besides violating company protocols?

Old 08-03-2019, 12:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Fired, suspended, yes. But arrested? What are crime they guilty of besides violating company protocols?
FAA regulations?

Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) rules apply in terms of Glasgow Airport.

The following criminal offences are contained within the Air Navigation Order and can be used by the police and Crown Prosecution Service or The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service(Scotland) to deal with cases of passenger disruption:

1. Endangering safety of an aircraft

240. A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.

2. Drunkenness in aircraft

242.- (1) A person must not enter any aircraft when drunk or be drunk in any aircraft. (2) A person must not, when acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft or being carried in any aircraft for the purpose of acting as a member of the crew, be under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to impair their capacity so to act.

The maximum prison sentence in terms of being over the alcohol limit as a crew member is five years in prison.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
AI and robotics will soon solve this problem.
I used to work with a pilot (not commercial) who knew a lot of the commercial pilots. She told us that the pilots said if it weren't for take off and landing, they'd quit, because it was so boring. They don't fly the plane ...the planes are flown by computer. The pilots only take control to land, and of course to take off.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You expect the odd drink but seven times over the limit.

I would imagine the limit is quite low, here in PA it's 0.08% for a car, commercial truck is 0.04% and 0.02% for school bus. 7 times the legal limit for car is going to make you dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies