Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Did it sometimes seem like the New York Times' entire focus was Trump-Russia? Like it built its newsroom around one story? Now, top editor says it did just that. But after Mueller report, paper has had to retool. New focus? Trump racism.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...-to-racism.php

Mainstream media, doing what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 02:47 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Joseph Goebbels would be in awe of the NYT and the Democrat left mass-media. He really would.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
They will switch to the "coming recession" like the others soon.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:00 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yes, they need to push that narrative in the hopes that they can break consumer confidence, and help create a recession.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
I saw that yesterday. Quite a story, but really nothing surprising. Slate.com has the transcript of the meeting, which was evidently leaked by an NYT employee.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ranscript.html

You know you've gone off the rails as a liberal rag when slate.com raises its eyebrows at you.

From the transcript:

Quote:
Staffer: Hello, I have another question about racism. I’m wondering to what extent you think that the fact of racism and white supremacy being sort of the foundation of this country should play into our reporting. Just because it feels to me like it should be a starting point, you know?
I find it appalling that a NYT staffer believes that racism was the 'foundation of this country.' It was certainly present, but the foundation can be found in the Declaration and Constitution. That is precisely how we were able to get over past racism. Remember MLK referred to the Constitution as a 'promissory note.' That was the 'foundation,' not racism or white supremacy.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:06 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Joseph Goebbels would be in awe of the NYT and the Democrat left mass-media. He really would.
It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion.

Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.

Joseph Goebbels

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.

Adolph Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Old 08-17-2019, 03:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, they need to push that narrative in the hopes that they can break consumer confidence, and help create a recession.
Exactly what people were saying in early 2008. It was all "the liberal media is creating a recession so that the Dems win the election."

Old 08-17-2019, 03:31 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default New York Times Focuses On New Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

I have been reading the Times on and off since the 1990s. The Times is a great source for International news and foreign policy. Best I have seen. They go into great depth on a International story and you get more details you do not get in other papers. Right now there is a lot of anti-Trump stuff in the International coverage but you learn to go around it, and some of it is true anyway.

But the editorials? I never read them anymore. Even when I was younger and more liberal then I am now, I found them unbalanced, unfair and unrealistic in the way the real world works. They seem to not have so much of a liberal viewpoint of the world but more an Elitist liberal Manhattan upper class viewpoint of the world that so different from the Queens where I used to live.

Their columnists are not much better. People whose pieces I used to read, I have lost respect for. Some still spouting the same tired free trade religion or open borders for the last 3 decades. I used to think what rock is this guy been under all these years? But now I am like, who is paying you to say this bs propaganda?

Old 08-17-2019, 03:40 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. I am not sure if the Times is involved but I was surprised to see "this recession is coming" narrative pop up all over the place all of a sudden.

Now I am not sure if I have become so cynical that I automatically think that the Democrats and their media lackeys are behind it or if it is really true (or potentially true). Because it does not look like a recession is coming here on Long Island anyways.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:49 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,704,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

This is so freakin obvious it's laughable.

It was Russia, Russia, Russia for over two years. Then as soon as Mueller's testimony was a big nothing-burger, they switched to racism/white supremacy.

Now you hear that phrase literally dozens of times per day.

My 10yo son remarked that the "news sure does like to say that word a lot". Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies