Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,062 times

Advertisements

It always amuses me to see these threads. First, you're dealing with a country with an enormous oil reserve and per capita for the citizens results in enormous wealth for the country as a whole. So they decide to go all EV. Um okay, guess they want to feel better about their economy being largely a result of their enormous oil exports? Yeah.

As to the arguments on how we could extrapolate this experience in Norway and apply it to the US? Hmm. First, our per capita wealth based on oil is quite low comparatively but let's just ignore that and ask the obvious. If we go to an entire country of EVs, tell me the logistics. We're already at a point with our electric grid that it can barely keep up when there's an uptick in temperature resulting in widespread brown outs. Exactly how are we going to support adding a country's population our size of cars to the grid? More hydroelectric? Nope. Environmentalists have killed doing more of that. Nuclear? Regulations and environmentalists have ensured that would be a dead future. So what? Solar and wind? Do you have any idea whatsoever the amount of solar and wind it would take to make this a viable plan? Solar and wind are feel good initiatives for the liberal who added a few panels to their house (which is artificially low priced thanks to subsidies that wouldn't be possible on a large scale) or for some small town which already had a low electric load.

Look, at some point you just have to come back down to reality. Reality is that Norway is a very, very wealthy country per capita thanks to huge oil exports. Reality is that the US does not have the electrical grid to support EVs. Reality is that the US cannot even expand it's electrical grid easily due to the onerous regulations it faces when trying to do so. Reality is that the US still welcomes (contrary to popular opinion) a huge influx of immigrants and refugees while Norway does not. That's reality. Come back with these arguments about how we could be like Norway once you take into account actual reality.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

30,540 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Norway is pretty much "the land of the ice and snow". Wouldn't they want a little global warming to warm things up just a bit?
I would if I were them....I'll take the Hellcat out for a fast run today to lend em a hand.

Seriously, unless they close all of their oil fields down and give their ill gotten gains from this oil trust fund to Africans, I have no respect for their QOL.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:41 AM

1,705 posts, read 540,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I would if I were them....I'll take the Hellcat out for a fast run today to lend em a hand.

Seriously, unless they close all of their oil fields down and give their ill gotten gains from this oil trust fund to Africans, I have no respect for their QOL.

You say the same thing to Sweden, Denmark and Finland and Iceland, that has no oil, but rank just as well?

(Denmark has some oil)

Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,998,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
I live outside Ålesund : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ålesund

Its at the seaside, so not a lot of snow. 4-8 inches at worse.

But, most of that is removed by snowplows in the morning.. so we are not wading through a lot.

But, Electric cars are popular in Norway from North to South, and those living further inland, see ALOT of snow.

Charging... not sure. She has never driven it to 0%.
Her commute is 40miles each day, so she drives it 3-4 days, then charge it. Its recharged by the morning.

But its rather quick, because of our charger.
Will the snowplows be electric also?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Will the snowplows be electric also?

Sure.. Just need a company to produce one.

There are some 500.000 electric buses in China... and are estimated to produce 600.000 more in 6 years. The US will have 5000 by the same time. China is saving ALOT by going electric.

Soon, all trucks will be electric as well.

Most of our ferries are being rebuilt or bought as pure electric now. They have cut operating costs by 80% compared to regular ferries and reduce emissions by 95%.
https://electrek.co/2018/02/03/all-e...emission-cost/

Our short distance airports are looking for all electric planes.. as soon as somebody will produce them, they will be bought.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,704,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Sure.. Just need a company to produce one.

There are some 500.000 electric buses in China... and are estimated to produce 600.000 more in 6 years. The US will have 5000 by the same time. China is saving ALOT by going electric.

Soon, all trucks will be electric as well.

Most of our ferries are being rebuilt or bought as pure electric now. They have cut operating costs by 80% compared to regular ferries and reduce emissions by 95%.
https://electrek.co/2018/02/03/all-e...emission-cost/

Our short distance airports are looking for all electric planes.. as soon as somebody will produce them, they will be bought.

Hahahaha. Those electric busses are connected to the grid. ALL Trucks WILL NOT be electric soon, not even close. Also wrong about ferries. Electric powered airplanes are still a very very small science experiment. Not happening in the next generation without a fundamental discovery in physics & material science.

BTW, electrek isn't credible. They are a cheerleader for the electric car lobby.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM

7,044 posts, read 2,739,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a7065616.html

Norway is increasingly seen as the envy of the world. It is FIRST place in the world happiness index. It is #5 in median income (U.S. is behind at #8). It has a debt-to-GDP ratio of -90.5 percent. In other words it has a national surplus, not a national debt.

Norway has obviously made a lot of good decisions. Now they are making another good decision by banning the sale of fossil-fuel-powered vehicles by 2025. Not the 2030 plan of Gov. Jay Inslee, which was seen as way too ambitious and radical but 2025.

Can someone please explain to me why we are not following Norway's lead????
Tell me about the car industry in Norway and the millions of jobs it supports again? It's easy to ban something you never had.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hahahaha. Those electric busses are connected to the grid. ALL Trucks WILL NOT be electric soon, not even close. Also wrong about ferries. Electric powered airplanes are still a very very small science experiment. Not happening in the next generation without a fundamental discovery in physics & material science.

BTW, electrek isn't credible. They are a cheerleader for the electric car lobby.

Well... Electric Ferries are a thing here in Norway!

They are saving 80% of their operating costs and basically all new ferries that are ordered are electric. There ain´t anything magical about it. Batteries saves money.

When electric trucks hit the market and operators realize the savings potential, which there is, all new trucks ordered will be Electric.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,856,904 times
So, are they going to stop extracting and selling oil? Of course not, that is the source of the government's wealth and power.

Norway has zero care about pollution, they are among the largest sources of it, however, they love feel good initiates.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Tell me about the car industry in Norway and the millions of jobs it supports again? It's easy to ban something you never had.

Its really not difficult to swap out all the mechanical parts of a car.. and instead put in a electric drive train and batteris that have less then 1/10 of moving or wear parts compared to a "regular" car.

You just have to produce enough batteries...

Its dead simple...

So why are not more car manufactures doing it?
Sunken costs and barriers to entry for new competition.

German car unions are basically begging their companies to start producing Electric cars... they need to be ahead of the curve, instead of playing catch up with small start ups in other countries.

Many Eu countries have also said a final date for all new cars to be electric. Its just not Norway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies