Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know a white supremist
Yes i know a real white supremist 58 25.66%
No 153 67.70%
Every white male is a white supremist so yes for that reason. 15 6.64%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I’m in my sixties. The rise of white supremacy is unprecedented in my lifetime as an adult. If you are fine with white supremacy, that’s on you. I’m not.
I'm in my 30s, early 30s at that. What I know regarding white supremacy is this. It has always been there. The forms it has taken has varied. Back in the days before 1970, it was more "in your face". It took the form of people like Orval Faubus, Lester Maddox, Ross Barnett, Strom Thurmond, George Wallace, Orville Hubbard (he was the mayor of Dearborn, Michigan and tried very hard to keep Blacks from living there. It wasn't just in the South), etc. It took for the form of the KKK, the American Nazi Party, it took place in the form of Jim Crow. It took place in the form of segregation codified into law, known as Jim Crow. That is one form of white supremacy.

What we see these days are angry individuals who yearn for such things to come back. What we've seen these days is different. It is not like the old days when someone could say "we don't hire Blacks" or "we only serve Whites here". Nowadays, it takes place in the form of passive-aggressive racism. There are certainly Neo-Nazi groups and KKK membership on the rise. Those types have been around for a long time. However, nowadays, more people feel emboldened to crawl from their basements to the light.

It's always been around. However, the openness for which it's expressed has varied.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:37 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I am curious if anyone actually knows a white supremist?
I am an engineer who took a lot of courses related to engineering probability, predictive analytics, and clinical trials for medical devices. There are two observations:

(1) The definition of "white supremacist" does not appear to have a consensus in the general population.
(2) Regardless of the chosen "definition" the statistical frequency of "white supremacy in the extreme form" is substantially less than the 1950s when society was segregated with "Jim Crow" laws with proponents such as then Governor George Wallace of Alabama.

I dealt with a lot of white racism when I was growing up in rural AZ in the 1970s and 80s. The bigotry was absurd. It was like a scene out of that film "Billy Jack". The racial tension could not be denied. But in modern times that level of white racism has faded. I am a brown Native American. For example, back in the 70s Scottsdale was considered the "white side" of Phoenix. By contrast, in 2019 it definitely is a very inclusive community with many minorities. I lived there for a year and had no problems with "white racism". But in the 70s it was very different - worse.

I lived in North FL for a long time - the "Deep South" near AL, GA, and MS. That area is supposedly a hotbed for white supremacists according to the liberal media. But I lived there for over a decade and did not find large-scale white supremacy to be a problem. For example, I went to a 5k run and a parade in one of the small Panhandle towns. There were thousands of people. In the midst of that was a "K-K" entry - a really small group of about 7-8 middle-aged white men in white gowns (or whatever you call those things). The racist group was clearly isolated from the mainstream of that small southern town. It looked like they were ostracized.

So, harsh blatant racism in the style of violent white supremacy has faded statistically compared to the 1950s, 1960s, etc. But it can still happen (obviously). They are still around. There are still "pockets" of racism in the Deep South. It would be naive to assume otherwise. Statistically, their numbers are much lower these days.

By contrast, whereas harsh "white supremacy" of the extreme form has faded - subtle racism is still common. It occurs just as likely with Democrats as among Republicans. This is the type of racism where "black-sounding" names in resumes are discarded. Sophisticated zoning laws, white flight, etc. are subtle racism. Such racism doesn't have the extreme form of vitriol of George Wallace, but it is still present. The problem with subtle racism is that it is very easy to deny and usually is. By contrast, it is often very obvious to minorities. All you have to do is read the anonymous comments and see the slurs. The same people who post those wouldn't say it in public. FSU shut down a website like that with many racist white students from the Greek organizations around campus back around 2013. There were posted pictures of black face parties, the "N" word, racist jokes, etc. That is subtle racism - not extreme but more covert.

https://www.pbh2.com/politics/black-...ers-skyrocket/

https://www.thoughtco.com/examples-o...racism-2834960

The type of white racism I still see in the work environment is bullying. The mindset of the perpetrator is usually like this - "I am not a white supremacist because (1) I do not believe in slavery, (2) I am not in the racist groups like the "K-K", (3) I am not against interracial couples, etc. But when it comes down to it I can bully brown minorities whenever I feel like it because I am tougher, smarter, stronger, etc". It is "borderline" racism and still very common. Think of Steve Jobs, a white man, shouting and cursing in the work environment with bullying behavior. There are white men in the work environment like that. It is usually a matter of time before someone like that shows up - a subtle form of corporate racism. To me, guys like that should step in the UFC octagon and proclaim their invincible bullying ability and challenge everyone in their weight class. From what I can see, none of them would last very long in that scenario - lol. White bullies in the work environment can be naive about their invincibility. Usually, they get away with it because their managers won't confront them. By contrast, if a dark minority acts like that he or she usually would get fired or reprimanded immediately. That type of subtle racism is still very common. The way I found to navigate around such sophisticated racism is to use clarification as a "resolution" angle with a calm tone of voice. Usually, there is someone who appreciates it in the midst of such bullying environments. That is like a compromise - not ideal but better than just quitting and leaving.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06...ama/index.html

Last edited by grad_student200; 08-12-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 12:06 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
I’m in my sixties. The rise of white supremacy is unprecedented in my lifetime as an adult. If you are fine with white supremacy, that’s on you. I’m not.
I think that it's just your imagination or maybe an intentional false claim. All I've noticed is a rise of anti-white and white dispossession and a very understandable but muted counter-reaction. I'm a fine with the some holding the concept of racial supremacy. As I've said from observing all kinds of people, I assume it's common in people of all races especially non-whites.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
The active denigration of others by white supremacists is not “opinion”. And they are not good people. Period.
Uh huh, and what about the active denigration of white Americans by the democrats and their supporters? They are not good people. Period.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
America was more of a White supremacist country when you were younger. I'm younger than you and I remember when America was much more racist. You are scared of bogeymen.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:31 AM

I'm not particularly old or young, but I remember mostly just a much whiter America with not much diversity at all in most places and not any more or less white racism really or so-called white supremacy than today, which is to say practically none. I personally think there is more racism today but mostly directed at whites.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Yes, my father in law was a white supremacist. Thankfully, neither of his children were "infected," and he took his ideology to the grave with him. I suspect that there are more around than we know, because they generally keep their beliefs pretty private. I recall that some of the recent white supremacist shooters were a surprise to their families, who didn't seem to know about this. But the anonymity of the internet has given them a place to express and develop those beliefs. I also think it depends on where you are in the country.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:54 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not particularly old or young, but I remember mostly just a much whiter America with not much diversity at all in most places and not any more or less white racism really or so-called white supremacy than today, which is to say practically none. I personally think there is more racism today but mostly directed at whites.
I am in my mid-sixties, and I remember growing up in an all white town. It's easy to think that there is no racism in a place that has no diversity. But the opposite could be true. Not that far away from my little town, there was a bigger city where there were obvious racial problems, ghettos, rampant discrimination, resulting riots and unrest. That was in the sixties. I believe that there is actually less racism now because there is much more diversity, and when we are exposed to other races in our communities, I think we find out that they are not much different from us. Even so, there is obvious racism in this country. You need only look at unequal law enforcement to see examples of that, but there are lots of other examples as well. I don't believe in the concept of institutional racism toward what is still the privileged group (whites) because most institutions are still controlled by whites. Of course, any individual can engage in any type of prejudice and racism.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:10 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am in my mid-sixties, and I remember growing up in an all white town. It's easy to think that there is no racism in a place that has no diversity. But the opposite could be true. Not that far away from my little town, there was a bigger city where there were obvious racial problems, ghettos, rampant discrimination, resulting riots and unrest. That was in the sixties. I believe that there is actually less racism now because there is much more diversity, and when we are exposed to other races in our communities, I think we find out that they are not much different from us. Even so, there is obvious racism in this country. You need only look at unequal law enforcement to see examples of that, but there are lots of other examples as well. I don't believe in the concept of institutional racism toward what is still the privileged group (whites) because most institutions are still controlled by whites. Of course, any individual can engage in any type of prejudice and racism.
You are entitled to your opinion, but Affirmative Action absolutely is institutionalized discrimination. In fact any quota based hiring system is. The same goes for any system that spots individuals points on hiring exams or promotion exams, based upon race or gender. To deny this fact is to be intellectually dishonest.

Racism or discrimination is wrong no matter who does it. It quite simply is impossible to justify 1 form of discrimination without justifying all.

I grew up in an all white town as well. I have no idea what that has to do with knowing a white supremacist, unless you are insinuating that all white towns are white supremacist towns.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
Why, yes, I know quite a lot of Heterosexual White people... what of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies