Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 04:35 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Oh, yes.
I have had youngsters come to the door "looking for work".
In more remote areas, they will pull up in the driveway and honk the horn. If someone responds they drive away.
If these were children, there would have been an adult driving them around. When children come to the door selling this or that there is always an adult hovering nearby in a vehicle.

She over-reacted. But she looks like the type who would.
I've had people come to my door looking for work. I never felt the need to go to the door with a gun, Black person or White person. In my younger days (middle school and high school), sometimes I sold candy door to door(for school fund raisers of course) or went around the neighborhood looking to mow lawns or rake leaves. I was often unsupervised when I did this. It was common place for me to see unsupervised kids do this. Maybe it was just where I lived. I never had someone pull a gun on me. However, it no longer surprises me to know that this could happen.

That woman overreacting is scary. I chalk it up to her being a fearful and hateful woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 04:43 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never had someone pull a gun on me.

Perhaps you need to for a reality check.

Its happened to me, its not exactly a pleasant experience.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Perhaps you need to for a reality check.

Its happened to me, its not exactly a pleasant experience.
What reality check? I'm talking to you about MY reality. In fact, go read the rest of my posts on this thread that I made today.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes I believe there is something to this. Not everything is about race but about experiences people have had. But yes some people do over react like Zimmerman and that lady pulling a gun on that couple in the trailer park campground.
Someone's overreaction could cost someone their life. That is never a good thing.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Well, I open my door when I see young Black men. I've never had anything happen to me from that instance. And I've been a Black male who had to do some work in certain neighborhoods. I empathize more with the young Black men who are decent than the persons who say "I wouldn't open my door for young Black men". I'm a Black male and I know what it's like when someone perceives you as a threat.

I want you to think about this. When I was in my adolescent years, I got bullied alot. The majority of those who bullied me and assaulted me were White males. Now, I don't avoid all White males. I take persons individual by individual. However, answer this. What would you think if I adopted the "I avoid hanging around White males" based on things that happened to me?
I got bullied when I was in middle school, and it was done by white males. But I never had a random white male meet me on the street or show up at my door and assault me without provocation. But it's happened to me with groups of young black males, more than once.

You certainly don't have to empathize with me, and if you don't feel inclined to open the door to me (a white male) because of your experiences, that's your choice. Nor do you have to assume any responsibility for what those other men did, since I'm going to assume that you were not in the groups who assaulted me. But my experiences with young black men in groups have not always been favorable, so I choose to exercise caution when I find myself facing them.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I got bullied when I was in middle school, and it was done by white males. But I never had a random white male meet me on the street or show up at my door and assault me without provocation. But it's happened to me with groups of young black males, more than once.

You certainly don't have to empathize with me, and if you don't feel inclined to open the door to me (a white male) because of your experiences, that's your choice. Nor do you have to assume any responsibility for what those other men did, since I'm going to assume that you were not in the groups who assaulted me. But my experiences with young black men in groups have not always been favorable, so I choose to exercise caution when I find myself facing them.
Two White males throw rocks at me when I was 12 while I was hiking around. I also got shot with a paintball gun by a White male teenager while walking back to my house. I've also dealt with being a Black on Black crime victim when I got jumped on robbed one night. I don't hold the entire White male population responsible for the actions of those persons who assaulted me. I don't hold the entire Black male population responsible.

Now, no one has ever come up to my door and assaulted me. I've opened the door regardless if it was a Black male there or a White male there. Never had any issues. I don't use race as the determinant in opening the door or not.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Two White males throw rocks at me when I was 12 while I was hiking around. I also got shot with a paintball gun by a White male teenager while walking back to my house. I've also dealt with being a Black on Black crime victim when I got jumped on robbed one night. I don't hold the entire White male population responsible for the actions of those persons who assaulted me. I don't hold the entire Black male population responsible.

Now, no one has ever come up to my door and assaulted me. I've opened the door regardless if it was a Black male there or a White male there. Never had any issues. I don't use race as the determinant in opening the door or not.
Nevertheless, not everyone's experience, viewpoint and knowledge is the same. If someone is going to be more cautious of males and even more if they're black males, it's not without a sound basis. You might not like it as a black male but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Nevertheless, not everyone's experience, viewpoint and knowledge is the same. If someone is going to be more cautious of males and even more if they're black males, it's not without a sound basis. You might not like it as a black male but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Why did she even open the door if she was so scared?

Old 08-19-2019, 10:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Why did she even open the door if she was so scared?
How should I know? I've answered my door with concern and sometimes a gun within reach. I was just replying to a specific post.

Last edited by mtl1; 08-19-2019 at 10:38 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How should I? I've answered my door with concern and sometimes a gun within reach. I was just replying to a specific post.
If I have a need to pull a gun I would not open the door in the first place. Counter intuitive. Think about it. Basically if you agree with this then anyone can pull a gun on anyone. Blacks could easily say that they fear whites do to white supremacy and pull a gun on them walking down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies