Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a rich consumer loaded up with money?
YES 39 44.83%
NO 48 55.17%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:21 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Are you one of these rich consumers loaded up with money that Trump was talking about yesterday?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1163288224497717248
Where I live, I'm seeing people spending money like it was going out of style, nice cars, going to high priced entertainment venues/concerts ----these folks were begging for money at gas stations back in 2008....I was approached regularly at gas pumps by men and their kids. This region of FL isn't what you'd call "high rent" - it's mostly lower middle class or working class.

I just hope they're stowing away money to emergency funds for the upcoming recession, job layoffs, etc. As we all know, the good times don't last forever.

Obama and his administration and we US tax payers did a lot (bail outs, stimulus, unemployment comp) to bring us to our current state of the economy. Hope Trump doesn't **** it up. I'm not confident that he knows what he's doing. Especially when listening to his word salad, repetitive pass-by press conferences in front of loud helicopters and airplane engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Where I live, I'm seeing people spending money like it was going out of style, nice cars, going to high priced entertainment venues/concerts ----these folks were begging for money at gas stations back in 2008....I was approached regularly at gas pumps by men and their kids. Obama and his administration did a lot to bring us to our current state of the economy. Hope Trump doesn't **** it up. I'm not confident that he knows what he's doing. Especially when listening to his word salad, repetitive pass-by press conferences in front of loud helicopters and airplane engines.
Obama spent $10 trillion.

Do you want Trump to do the same now?

Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 AM

37,217 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't buy into the consumer mentality. Maybe that's why I have money
Yep. Always lived below my means, and it paid off in the long run. Now I can afford what I want, but I don't want as much, and certianly not more consumer goods. I spend more on travel than anything else.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
There are few things that I truly want to buy. Since retiring and moving to a walkable community I don't even drive that much anymore. I have been actively working to get rid of things I no longer need. Now any purchase I make has to go through a rigorous self-evaluation of whether I truly need it and if it's worth taking up space. The one area that my consumption has increased is in going out to dinner at our local restaurants. However, our overall consumption is down significantly and we don't miss it. Personally, the president's tax cut did nothing for us as residents of a SALT state. I am more concerned about the president putting pressure on the Fed to march us all toward negative interest rates.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obama spent $10 trillion.

Do you want Trump to do the same now?
Trump's budget (and our deficit) is at an all-time record. Today I read a headline about him wanting QE to be considered. He's spending our taxes as providing cuts to wealthy expecting the economic growth to provide more revenue. He's talking about a payroll tax cut today as well.

I think spending is a tool gov't needs to keep us out of major depression - so I felt Obama did what was needed during a national crisis in 2008/9. Auto, housing, banking, major unemployment, two wars, crappy infrastructure --that takes money/spending. We're paying the bill now. We tax payers put us in the position we're in, not Trump. Hope he doesn't **** it up.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There are few things that I truly want to buy. Since retiring and moving to a walkable community I don't even drive that much anymore. I have been actively working to get rid of things I no longer need. Now any purchase I make has to go through a rigorous self-evaluation of whether I truly need it and if it's worth taking up space. The one area that my consumption has increased is in going out to dinner at our local restaurants. However, our overall consumption is down significantly and we don't miss it. Personally, the president's tax cut did nothing for us as residents of a SALT state. I am more concerned about the president putting pressure on the Fed to march us all toward negative interest rates.
Funny how when we get older, we see that the materialism/consumerism that we had early in our lives is no longer important. I'm in the process of unloading/minimizing as well. As far as eating out --I've turned a new leaf with eating as well ---finding eating out isn't as healthy as eating at home and controlling what's put in it.

I'm concerned about the undue influence on the FED as well.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Are you one of these rich consumers loaded up with money that Trump was talking about yesterday?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1163288224497717248

Why, sure, that tax cut made me wealthy beyond belief. I was on the fence as to whether I should buy pack of chewing gum or invest in some US Steel stock. Being the devil may care kind of guy I am, I went for the gum.

Can't wait for him to do another one of these terrific tax cuts........... this time I might spring for a two liter of Coke.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:04 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,232,713 times
"An average US citizen is in the global top 1%"

so yes, a rich consumer loaded up with cash

Old 08-20-2019, 06:42 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
It doesn't matter how much I have its still "scared" money, and I'm just going to sit on it. I know they say, "scared money don't make no money," but until people feel more confidant, their money is not going to be part of the equation. IMO consumer wealth is not a good thing to gloat about if its just sitting and not being spent. Excess consumer wealth just means they haven't got that sucking machine working quite right yet. You know that machine that sucks money up from the consumer back up to the big banks.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Funny how when we get older, we see that the materialism/consumerism that we had early in our lives is no longer important. I'm in the process of unloading/minimizing as well. As far as eating out --I've turned a new leaf with eating as well ---finding eating out isn't as healthy as eating at home and controlling what's put in it.

I'm concerned about the undue influence on the FED as well.
As a renter who is the sole large male in the family, I actively want things gone. Im the one who has to move all the crap physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies