Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times

Advertisements

Over taxation certainly is. The government should take the least amount of taxes possible and the taxes should be taken at the most localized level possible where the people controlling the money are more accountable, accessible, and knowledgeable on the needs of the citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM

952 posts, read 324,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Libs and lefties need not respond, because we all know what your answer will be.

Do you, or do you not, believe that taxation is theft? If not, why?
You mean like Robbing Hood Theft ?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Unless those able bodied adults are the citizens of Israel, right?
Or illegal aliens, right?

:Pinhead:

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
No. I believe taxation without representation is theft.... we have some of that in the US.
I believe excessive taxation is theft... we have a lot of that in the US
I believe hidden taxation (ie business taxes) is theft... we still have too much of that in the US
I believe taxation to pay for things government should not be doing is theft....we have way too much of that in the US.

MOST taxation is theft...but not all taxation.

I do believe the Laffer Curve is an absolute reality.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
this sounds a lot more like a litmus test for libertarians.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. I believe taxation without representation is theft.... we have some of that in the US.
I believe excessive taxation is theft... we have a lot of that in the US
I believe hidden taxation (ie business taxes) is theft... we still have too much of that in the US
I believe taxation to pay for things government should not be doing is theft....we have way too much of that in the US.

MOST taxation is theft...but not all taxation.

I do believe the Laffer Curve is an absolute reality.
When someone with whom you have not agreed to any contract or terms demands you turn over your property and uses force if you decline, that is theft.

Personally, I would like to agree upon terms with the government and make reasonable payments for things like infrastructure, but others would prefer not to do so.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When someone with whom you have not agreed to any contract or terms demands you turn over your property and uses force if you decline, that is theft.

Personally, I would like to agree upon terms with the government and make reasonable payments for things like infrastructure, but others would prefer not to do so.
If the government was open to competition and didn't have a monopoly of force it could very well be a private player in a free society...along with others who wished to compete.

But why would Don Corleone want to put in that work when he can just send Sonny out on the street to kick a little ass?

Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
Originally, the colonies were about the common wealth
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Commonwealth of Virginia, et al

I believe the original intention was for the common wealth. Somehow the original idea of capitalism has taken a left turn to mean "forget you". I do not think that was the original intent.

We can go off the rails on this discussion if we don't narrow down the topic. What if we took all illegal immigrants out of the equation. Would that make a difference to your opinion? i.e. if we right now today shut down borders and deported and that was the end of immigration forever, but those remaining as Americans were taxed 40% for roads, education, civil jobs, and healthcare, would you be ok with that?

Last edited by MarshaBrady1968; 08-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: on the "forget you" comment, thought it was ok to use word for metal thing that twirls into a board with a driver

Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If the government was open to competition and didn't have a monopoly of force it could very well be a private player in a free society...along with others who wished to compete.

But why would Don Corleone want to put in that work when he can just send Sonny out on the street to kick a little ass?
Which is why our tax system is theft.

However, that genie will never go back into the bottle.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Originally, the colonies were about the common wealth
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Commonwealth of Virginia, et al

I believe the original intention was for the common wealth. Somehow the original idea of capitalism has taken a left turn to mean "forget you". I do not think that was the original intent.

We can go off the rails on this discussion if we don't narrow down the topic. What if we took all illegal immigrants out of the equation. Would that make a difference to your opinion? i.e. if we right now today shut down borders and deported and that was the end of immigration forever, but those remaining as Americans were taxed 40% for roads, education, civil jobs, and healthcare, would you be ok with that?
Your view of capitalism is severely warped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies