Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:11 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It should be legal for such a business(non-essential) to deny service due to someone being gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Jewish, Irish, blonde, long haired or any other rrason they may choose.

You should be able to associate or not associate with anyone you choose unless it causes harm, and hurt feelings doesn't count as harm.
No such thing as non essential/essential in the world of business, only customers.

The life or comfort of an other person is of no concern to me - If I can deny a person the sale of an ice cream, then I should be able to deny them medical care.

But I would suggest in the interests of civility, that there be no exceptions -either that or complete free reign to openly display hate, whatever the situation.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No such thing as non essential/essential in the world of business, only customers.

The life or comfort of an other person is of no concern to me - If I can deny a person the sale of an ice cream, then I should be able to deny them medical care.

But I would suggest in the interests of civility, that there be no exceptions -either that or complete free reign to openly display hate, whatever the situation.
Shouldn't we outlaw curse words in public in the interest of civility?

Obviously, hurt feelings are more important to safeguard than freedom of speech just like hurt feelings are more important than freedom of association.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
Quote:
You're asking why we believe freedom is important?
Absolute freedom to run a business in any way you like with no regulation? I am not asking why you find that important. I just find it sad.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't we outlaw curse words in public in the interest of civility?

Obviously, hurt feelings are more important to safeguard than freedom of speech just like hurt feelings are more important than freedom of association.
Personally I don't think so.

I find the notion of regulated hate such as you espouse nothing more than legally enforced hypocrisy - if you hate someone enough not to want to sell them a big of chips, then you shouldn't be forced to save their life.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Absolute freedom to run a business in any way you like with no regulation? I am not asking why you find that important. I just find it sad.
Only regulations to prevent harm or inevitable harm to others.

Why else should it be any of your business what they do?

Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
It’s simple. If you hate people based on race, gender or national origin so much that you don’t want to sell them chips or save their lives, don’t open a business or work in a field that requires selling chips or saving lives.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Personally I don't think so.

But I find the notion of regulated hate such as you espouse nothing more than legally enforced hypocrisy - if you hate someone enough not to want to sell them a big of chips, then you shouldn't be forced to save their life.
What hate am I espousing other than not agreeing with you.

I'm guessing you want laws for that as well. Anybody who offers anither opnion is espousing hate speech and needs to be penalized.

You don't seem to be a fan of freedom or liberty I see.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What does any of that matter ?????? You arent disputing the story itself.
It matters because I don't give automatic validity to the original referenced article that was written based on rando, third hand tweets that referenced an unknown person's facebook post.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-02-2019 at 03:32 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
It’s simple. If you hate people based on race, gender or national origin so much that you don’t want to sell them chips or save their lives, don’t open a business or work in a field that requires selling chips or saving lives.
A much simpler solution would be to just ban discrimination with regards to services.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:24 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
https://tippahnews.com/2019/09/01/no...gious-beliefs/

So just how far does religious belief go when it comes to the laws of this country?

Venue owner found out that the couple were not of the same race and denied rental of the venue citing her "Christian race, er Christian beliefs".

I was saying that when businesses were told that they could use "religious belief" to refuse service to gays that it would open the door to racists to do the same. Seems that I was right. Either religious belief trumps any and all laws or it doesn't.
And the thing is, there is nothing in the Bible that explicitly condemns interracial marriage. I don't see this as a "religious belief" issue. I think this is just a plain old bigotry issue. And I hope the person who runs that venue gets sued for ever penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies