Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 14,693,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Why not add the gun manufacturer, the steel mill, the mine that produced the iron ore, etc. to your list of criminals? Do you not see the complete fallacy of this line of thought?

People are dead, a tragedy, their deaths were caused by a disturbed man who happened to use an illegal weapon.
The weapon itself wasn't illegal, the fact that this person purchased it, is the law that was broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why do you avoid actual statistics? Do you really think the audience here is that clueless.

Please post the total murder and manslaughter rate of texas - and then japan. Then we can decide if they are in line as you seem to indicate.
Because no matter how many statistics I post they won't change the mind of those who want stricter gun laws. I can also tell you that whether it's in Texas, Japan, or anywhere else, laws do not affect those who break them, regardless of whether they pertain to guns or not.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:16 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
Quote:
Why do you avoid actual statistics? Do you really think the audience here is that clueless.

Please post the total murder and manslaughter rate of texas - and then japan. Then we can decide if they are in line as you seem to indicate.
You want statistics?
https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...olence-america

Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM

8,353 posts, read 2,974,907 times
Quote:
Let's pretend for a moment. Please explain why a state with better gun regulation has 1/3rd or 1/4 the amount of gun violence???

There has to be a reason. Are Texans just more violent people? That's hard to believe.
Explain why U.S. cities with the toughest gun laws have the highest rates of gun violence by far. And why are the top 20 cities with the highest homicide rates all run by democrats and/or have a mostly liberal pop?

Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Not from the Guy who founded that org! That is an anti-Democratic group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw

C'mon, be real.

"In 2011, its intentional homicide rate was 0.3 per 100,000 people, while America's rate was 4.7 per"
TEXAS is at 5.5+ with just murder and SC is 7.8 - they get closer to 8-10 when manslaughter is added in and even higher when "gun violence" or other such injuries are added.

US 5.30
Canada 1.80
Japan 0.2

Please see chart here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

That is intentional homocide by ANY means....

So, in summary, we are "only" talking about a rate 30X as high....

So I have to ask again. Are Texans (or Americans) just naturally violent? 7X as violent as Polish? 6X as Irish?

We sit right between Sudan and Zambia!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Because no matter how many statistics I post they won't change the mind of those who want stricter gun laws. I can also tell you that whether it's in Texas, Japan, or anywhere else, laws do not affect those who break them, regardless of whether they pertain to guns or not.
And I fully support the citizens of Texas and Arizona wanting loose laws. Far be it from me to tell them what to do. So I am on your side.....

But in places where I live, pay taxes and elect representatives, I do want more of a say than the NRA....

It's say, but if Texans approve of mass murder by AR then they are doing a fine job making certain more of it will happen.

The old saying goes - give an unlimited number of typewriters to an unlimited numbers of monkeys and sooner or later one will type out the works of Shakespeare. The same goes with guns. Give 10's of millions of people - cross-section of the population - weapons to "play" with and a tiny percentage will pull them over a parking spot, a job firing or because they were told to kill Jews, Hispanics or even white people.

Your call. I'm with you...

Old 09-04-2019, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So you think this criminal bought his gun from another criminal? It's possible, but I think the odds are against it. Where did that criminal get his gun from?

There are WAY more legal gun owners than illegal gun owners, are there not?
Criminals usually deal in stolen or smuggled weapons, they change hands NUMEROUS times.

Back in the days when I was using dope, I knew plenty of dealers that sold guns too, they could get just about anything you wanted, prices were generally on the cheaper end.

Ultimately, if drugs can be smuggled in (in the quantities it is today), guns can be smuggled in the same way.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The seller is currently being investigated by the Police. If it is true he sold to a prohibited person, then he will be charged with Federal gun crimes, and likely go to jail. It will ruin his life.
If he had no reasonable suspicion then the seller could walk.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Texas shooter failed the background check to get gun legally so went to a private seller where he didn't have to pass a background check. Seems to me like this hole needs to be plugged.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heck/23806445/
One person out of how many millions? One person, and you want to ruin it for everyone else.

I've had enough of the BS from gun grabbers. It's not the damn weapon, and you know it. Why the hell do you people not want to discuss the actual problem?

Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM

5,080 posts, read 1,671,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Texas shooter failed the background check to get gun legally so went to a private seller where he didn't have to pass a background check. Seems to me like this hole needs to be plugged.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heck/23806445/

Isnt this exactly how so many have a gun in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies